Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tom Tuttle's Spinner
#211975 06/18/08 04:21 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Tom, I got your mix and gave it a spin yesterday. That's a cool disc you burned, physically speaking--the old school vinyl works surprisingly well in my CD player! I've got to hand it to you for not only starting your selections off with good music, but also good sounding music. Had my headphones on yesterday and was bopping my head along with tunes (I've got it playing over the speakers today)

The first track that really shined (shone?) was "Help Me" by the Randy Oxford Band. I loved the guitar and trumpet work. This is not the typical music I listen to and I think my initial headphone listening really helped me pick up on the texture and nuance of the instruments. Superb individual flair all coming together to form a cohesive whole. My appreciation for this music went up substantially.

wONKA bAR definitely lived up to its name. Although "Bitch" is more overtly fun, I was more drawn to "Watson." These guys have a nice and loose laid-back sound. They vaguely remind me of Jack Johnson with a keener sense of fun and funk. I don't see a whole lot of information on wONKA bAR, I'm curious how you came across them?

Okay, you've convinced me to get The Presidents of the United States of America. I think most of us remember "Peaches" and "Lump" from back in the day. "Kitty" is just as fun, but not quite top forty material for obvious reasons. . . When The Presidents burst onto the scene back in 1995 I wasn't quite ready to embrace comedy in my music. I think I was going through an ultra serious, all-music-needed-to-mean-something-phase. I'm glad I've grown out of that!

On that note, that brings me to your next song selection, "Hunderfuter" by the muckrakers. It's been a long time since a song has made me laugh out loud. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but think about our greatest export to Germany.

It kinda surprised me to find "Graduated" by John Hiatt as my favorite song of the disc. I've never paid much attention to Mr. Hiatt before. I've heard his songs, but never really connected with his music. I'm still not quite sure what has drawn me to this song, but it has a warm, comforting quality to it. I think this kind of sound comes from an artist who's been around the craft of music making for a long time and goes away from the overt hook, to a more nuanced composition where the song as a whole becomes the so-called highlight. The song gives me goose bumps. I love songs that evince a feeling in me that I can't quite explain why. It's like I'm connecting to it on some base level. I think that quality lies at the heart of great music--an emotional response.

The first half of your disc is music I don't normally listen to, but I'm glad you've given me the chance to reexamine the genre. It helps me think that this is music you dig, and it makes me want to get rid of my preconceived tastes and biases and open myself up to the "new." Sometimes it's nice to sit back and enjoy something for what it is, rather than being discouraged for what it's not. Maybe that's the key for trying new stuff?

Tom, I really enjoyed your disc. It has both challenged and rewarded me. I hope you take that as a compliment. \:\) Thank you very much for sharing!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Re: Tom Tuttle's Spinner
St_PatGuy #211988 06/18/08 06:30 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Sean, I have to pretty much agree with everything you said. The disc certainly started with music that I wouldn't find myself listening to normally, but I did enjoy them. The Randy Oxford Band track did stand out for me, and it was cool to see The Commitments make an appearance. My sister had the soundtrack at one point, and we enjoyed listening to it on occasion.

I don't remember how the John Hiatt track went, so I'll have to listen again. But yeah, the other tracks you brought up did leave an impression. I'll definitely give the whole disc another spin to see what sticks.

Thanks, Tom!

St_PatGuy #212003 06/18/08 01:33 PM
Great review, Sean. Now I'm looking forward to Tom's disc -- I triple-checked that I didn't misspell that word -- even more.

pmbuko #212009 06/18/08 02:07 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Great review, Sean. Now I'm looking forward to Tom's disc -- I triple-checked that I didn't misspell that word -- even more.

\:D

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #212141 06/19/08 03:58 AM
I got Tom's disc today and played it on the Axioms -- something I haven't yet done with the other two discs I have yet. (I just happened to have time today.) The first track sounds amazing and is a great song, to boot. I didn't get much further than that because the kids got int an argument and I decided to start bedtime early. It wasn't very successful...

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,475
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
3 members (rrlev, Hambrabi, Kodiak), 740 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup