Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Goodbye George...
PeterChenoweth #212937 06/25/08 03:03 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
Obscene language just for the sake of being obscene isn't really funny to me. And believe me, I'm not a prude. I can enjoy a good 'bodily function' joke with the best of them, but it's just sort of mindless comedy that gets old after a few minutes.

Comics like George Carlin and Lewis Black use the same words, but in the context of making a point about society. In Carlins case, yes, he used the words to shock people. But he did it to point out how absurd it is that we have just decided that these 7 words are to be 'dirty'.......Carlin, Black, and others make it a point to show us how silly and absurd our society can be, and I enjoy that brand of comedy very much.

Couldn't agree more, Peter. The comedy that makes me laugh, has to have a genuine element of wit. Not every one of Carlin's jokes hit the mark, but the vast majority of them did. And, when they did, as already mentioned, it was both hilarious and a profound relief to find someone who could humorously verbalize what I, myself, was feeling.

I can't watch Wil Farrell, and many of the others mentioned here. I liked Adam Sandler in Spanglish, but haven't been able to tolerate him in much else.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ken.C #212938 06/25/08 03:40 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Also: for the most part (here's where I'll really get the flames), Will Ferrell is not funny. Except when he's doing his impersonation of James Lipton. Even then, it really only works when he's across from Lipton.

Neither is David Spade (except in Emperor's New Groove, and he was well supported there) or Adam Sandler.

Chris Farley was never, ever funny--just painful.

Just in case you think I merely hate SNL, I think most of the early comedians were fantastic, even if they've started to fade now. Dan Akroyd comes to mind, as does Tom--err--John Candy, and of course Steve Martin.

Will Ferrell has done enough for me over the years. David Spade has done some decent stuff as well, and I think Just Shoot Me was an underrated show. Adam Sandler has done his share of crap, but Happy Gilmore still cracks me up, and he's always funny in interviews.

You're right about the early SNL comedians fading, but when watching their earlier work, I forget now why I thought they were funny before. Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, and Steve Martin make me sadder than John Candy does, and they're still alive. Let's not even get into Eddie Murphy.

I have to admit I've laughed at some Dane Cook material, but overall he does piss me off.

Oh, and I guess I haven't said anything about George Carlin. I have to admit I'm not too familiar with his standup, but the stuff I've caught him in I enjoyed. I'm definitely sad to hear of his passing.

Anyway, as far as stand-up, I'd probably put Mitch Hedberg and Louis CK at the top of my list, and as far as comedic actors, I don't know that anyone approaches Stephen Chow. Ha ha.

CV #212946 06/25/08 12:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In case anyone is interested, NBC will rebroadcast a 1975 Saturday Night Live episode this weekend where George Carlin was host.

-David
terzaghi #212947 06/25/08 12:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, CV, Mitch Hedberg was really awesome. His stuff lives on, carries very well.

I also like the stand-up of Jim Gaffigan.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #212953 06/25/08 03:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"hot pocket"

Jim Gaffigan's stand up is pretty damned funny.

Capn_Pickard #212955 06/25/08 03:37 PM
axiomite
axiomite
And now they make the breakfast Hot Pocket! "Good morning! You're going to call in sick!!!"

And I can't help but think of him every time I see a manatee at Sea World. "Yeah, whatever, sea cow!"

Good stuff.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #212997 06/25/08 06:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I gotta watch his routine again (I think you can stream it off of Netflix). Some seriously funny stuff. I think it's mostly his delivery and the way that jokes build and build and build.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters