Page 1 of 2 1 2
Car Speakers
#212645 06/23/08 01:24 PM
F
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
F
Well..I am not sure what section to post about this. Now that I have my HT tweaked and loving my Axioms...I would like to get some good sound in my SUV. Obviously Axiom don't make any car audio products. Can anyone suggest some good ones?

An amateur built the Ark.
Some professionals built the Titanic.
But Noah took a little advice.
Re: Car Speakers
frostiex #212649 06/23/08 02:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I really enjoyed the sound of Focal speakers when auditioning for HT speakers. They make some nice towers. I see that they also make car speakers, but I haven't heard them. I would suspect that they are quality stuff.

As for me, I actually enjoy my BOSE system that came in my 2001 Maxima.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #212671 06/23/08 03:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You could always put some axioms in the car.

Capn_Pickard #212674 06/23/08 04:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I bet an EP600 would be great for some bass in the trunk!

Zarak #212682 06/23/08 05:12 PM
local
local
I don't know if you can get a hold of some JL Audio equipment in Canada, but I've had them in my car for about 4 years and I love them and they've given me zero trouble! well until a month ago when we bought our new car and the WAF wouldn't accept them in the new car, so now they're on craigslist \:\(

Steve
thefwam #212699 06/23/08 07:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
These are about the same responses I got when asking about car audio. "EP600 in the trunk" and "M80s for the rears"

Actually, what you will find is that just about any "aftermarket" speaker will improve your sound as long as it is properly powered and getting a clean signal from the head unit.

I would say that there IS a noticable improvement, obviously, in upgrading the speakers, but many times, the best improvement (beyond that) is to replace the head unit and any factory amp that is in there.

You will get a lot of people chiming in about their favorite speaker brand, JL, Polk, Alpine, Kenwood, yadda, yadda, yadda... If you are running the basis stock speakers now, any of these will be an improvement.

What year/make/model is your SUV? Knowing what size speakers your vehicle can support will help as well for some specific experiences, plus you can always go to Crutchfield and put in your car information and it will telly ou what fits, you can get their product research on them, as well as customer reviews.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #212738 06/24/08 02:07 AM
devotee
devotee
I have Focals in my car. I started with coaxes from the Access line, changed to 2-ways from the polyglass line, and currently run 2-ways utopias. I would say they are all similar to the axiom sound. The crossovers (on the ones I have) are adjustable and I have the tweeters dialed back quite a bit. I will say if I had it to do again I'd stick with the polyglass, the utopias aren't enough better to justify the price in my loud-ass car.
I listened to diamond "hex"s in '03 and they sounded very similar to the focals. When auditioning, my impression was that the access line was a significant jump in SQ. over the slightly cheaper more mainstream brands. I would recomend a healthy amp as the next upgrade after speakers. I would also suggest considering the "front stage" approach- put your money into 2 great speakers in the front and forget the back ones. The catch is you need that heathy amp to really pull it off well.

nickbuol #212749 06/24/08 03:31 AM
F
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
F
 Originally Posted By: nickbuol
These are about the same responses I got when asking about car audio. "EP600 in the trunk" and "M80s for the rears"

Actually, what you will find is that just about any "aftermarket" speaker will improve your sound as long as it is properly powered and getting a clean signal from the head unit.

I would say that there IS a noticable improvement, obviously, in upgrading the speakers, but many times, the best improvement (beyond that) is to replace the head unit and any factory amp that is in there.

You will get a lot of people chiming in about their favorite speaker brand, JL, Polk, Alpine, Kenwood, yadda, yadda, yadda... If you are running the basis stock speakers now, any of these will be an improvement.

What year/make/model is your SUV? Knowing what size speakers your vehicle can support will help as well for some specific experiences, plus you can always go to Crutchfield and put in your car information and it will telly ou what fits, you can get their product research on them, as well as customer reviews.

I would love to put M80s in the rear...lol..how ever that will not work. I have a 2004suzuki XL-7 . The whole reason I want new speakers is because I just installed a Alpine W505 in it and realize the Stock speakers sucks ass. (can you believe it is worst than my 2001 focus stock speakers?) I believe visions sells JL's I might give them a listen.

Obviously, I wish Axioms will make some car speakers \:\)

An amateur built the Ark.
Some professionals built the Titanic.
But Noah took a little advice.
frostiex #212757 06/24/08 04:47 AM
axiomite
axiomite
So that looks like 6.5" fronts and 6.5" rears as well...

You want to go coaxial or drop the bucks on component (speaker with separate tweeter and a crossover)? There is a difference in cost and sound. I would think some nice 3 or 4 way fronts and then 2 way rears coaxials would work well and you could put some money into a sub since you will be missing a lot of low end...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
frostiex #212760 06/24/08 05:08 AM
D
old hand
old hand
D
Frostiex, your Suzuki stock front and rear speakers are 6.5". If you are looking to upgrade your stock car speakers on a tight budget I highly recommend Infinity 62.7i Kappa series 2-way speakers $79.99 mated with a robust amplifier. As others recommended, focus on the "front stage" and use the stock speakers in the back for rear fill.http://www.millionbuy.com/inf627i.html.

As for an amplifier Powerbass ASA300.2 $79.99 delivers everything it claims and careful gain adjustment will yeild excellent results with the 2ohm Kappa's. This ampis 2ohm stable and will deliver 150w rms to each channel.http://www.millionbuy.com/powasa3002.html

If you are looking to go all out and spend big bucks look at JL Audio Evolution ZR series component speakers and the new G series amplifiers. Top notch stuff! I am currently running a/d/s 6.5 " comps in my front doors with the tweeters mounted in the dash powered by JL Audio 300/2, 15" SI Mag D2 sealed enclosure powered By a JL Audio 1000/1 and CDT 6x9's in the rear panels powered by JL Audio A2150. I stripped my car to bare metal and sound deadened the entire interior with Raamat. The sound is mind blowing!

demetman

Demetrios
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082