Print Thread
Rate Thread
YPAO / MCACC
#21464 10/05/03 12:13 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Hello everybody;

I have heard that these calibration systems found on the new yamaha (YPAO)and pioneer elite (MCACC)receivers are really useful. As I am about to purchase a new receiver I had two questions ...
1) Are they really a must have; or can I get by without them? (I'm still tempted by the NAD t763 and NAD t773).
2) Is there a product that you can buy that will do the same thing for an amp that doesn't have this technology built in?

also ... which is better... pioneer or yamaha? (I'm not trying to start a brand loyalty war...)

Thanks so much guys...

Re: YPAO / MCACC
#21465 10/05/03 02:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I suggest you use the powerful search function of this forum with "MCACC" or "YPAO" as query. You will get numerous posts such as the ones in this recent thread. While a person (mwc) describes a negative experience with the MCACC in the thread, I myself, like quite a few others here, am extremely happy with my Pioneer 45TX's MCACC feature. So, back to your questions:

(1) Only you can really answer this one. However, I have to add that in order to fully appreciate the benefits of MCACC/YPAO, you do need to listen to it in your own room, although you can certainly experiment in a well-isolated dealer showroom, if the dealer is fully willing to let you play around with his equipment.

(2) The YPAO still being a few weeks old on the market, the jury is still out on this one. However, at least on the specs, YPAO's 7-band "parametric" room EQ is more advanced than MCACC's 5- or 9-band fixed EQ. Third-party measurements on Yamaha's amp sections are still forthcoming, too; Pioneer's amp section has been shown to be VERY robust by independent measurements.

(3) Yes, there are several standalone automatic room EQ/real-time analyzers available, especially from the "pro" market with quite affordable prices, such as the Behringer DEQ2496. However, you have to know what you are doing in order to incorporate these pro gears in your home system, with regard to details such as signal-level matching etc. Also, these are 2-channels only products.

Last edited by sushi; 10/05/03 02:39 PM.
#21466 10/05/03 03:05 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

While a person (mwc) describes a negative experience with the MCACC in the thread, I myself, like quite a few others here, am extremely happy with my Pioneer 45TX's MCACC feature

I just wanted to clarify that my "negitive experience" stemed from what I beleived to be a defective unit. Other wise, I loved the MCACC feature and Pioneer Elite receivers as a whole.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#21467 10/05/03 04:10 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Are they really a must have

I enjoyed my home theater before I experience MCACC/YPAO (I've had both in my home) but I now enjoy it more with the EQ feature. For me, future receiver upgrades must have this feature. I believe that Pioneer and Yamaha have set a precedent with the auto EQ feature and other manufacturers will have to follow if they want to keep up. I can't help but believe that the EQ function will soon be standard on most "mass market" receivers and that it will only get more sophisticated with each gereration.

In reply to:

also ... which is better... pioneer or yamaha?

"which is better" could mean a lot of things but here a few of my opinions. If you want a definitive answer to this question, you may have to wait for third party reviews from the "audio press" such as Home Theater, Stereophile guide to HT, Audioholics, or sushi.

As far as:
Sound quality - I liked them both and couldn't say that one sounded better than the other. You must listen for yourself to be sure.

Build quality - They are both hansome in apperance but the Pioneer Elite has a more elegant look and feel. To my untrained eye, they both seem equal in build quality. I'm sure Masa (sushi) has a better take on this than I do and I know that he will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

Features - Both have an amazing feature set but with some slight but significant differences ; manual EQ adjustment and front presence channels just to name a few. You'll have to decide for yourself which is better depending on your needs and desires.

It's realitively easy to audition them in your home. Tweeter Electronics offers a 30 home trial period and a full refund if you return within 30 days. They also have a 120 day trade up policy ( I got them to agree (in writing) to 6 months). I firmly believe that an in home trial is the only way to get a good feel for these products.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044