Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: My Amazon cart
Ken.C #215715 07/19/08 04:17 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Tantric is an Alt Rock group. Not the normal style though. They use violin quite a bit, which I thought was pretty clever and sounds unique. Just listen to the sampler on Amazon...

michael_d #215771 07/21/08 05:18 AM
veteran
veteran
Opeth is such an aquired taste, but once you develop it you won't get sick of them, at least that was my experience. I remember hearing the album Still Life about 5 years ago and not liking it much at all... the first time. Now I still can't get enough of it, along with Blackwater Park, My Arms Your Hears, Morningrise, and Deliverance.

Oddly enough the only album of theirs that I do tire of sometimes is Ghost Reveries. My advice is to buy Blackwater Park and give it time to sink in. You will be hooked.

cameron #215772 07/21/08 05:20 AM
veteran
veteran
Oh, and Awake is great too. It's another grower and it's right up there with Images and Words and Scenes From a Memory.

cameron #215779 07/21/08 12:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
A few comments on the few I own or know. personal taste only of courses so worthless in that I can't assume to know what you will like.

Snakes & Arrows - Rush; Audio CD
I bought this one and thought I really liked it the first few times I played it. At risk of life and limb, I have to say I tired of it surprisingly quickly. When it comes up in the random rotation, I now almost always hit the skip button. Seems like a sin to skip Rush but this album just didn't have the usual Rush staying power. I'd say borrow it from a friend or library and play it a while before you buy.

Brahms: String Quintets Nos. 1 & 2, Opp. 88 & 111
Enjoyed this one and still do. My friends hate that my Squeezebox will randomly play Metallica, then follow it up with Brahms.

10,000 Days - Tool; Audio CD
I LOVE 60% of this CD. The unique percussion (I have forgotten the term Hutz taught me for it) is both haunting and addictive. Unfortunately, some of the softer, experimental stuff is at such low volume that you think nothing is playing at times. The M60s present it better but you must skip or raise the volume in my Jeep. The same tracks are a bit too repetitive for me too so ironically, thier uniqueness gets a bit tiring. I still say it's worth buying though. The 3D glasses and very unique artwork built into the case is cool too.

Introduce Yourself - Faith No More; Audio CD
Don't own, prolly won't buy, but I like it.

Raising Sand - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss; Audio CD
Borrowed, not impressed enough to buy.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #215782 07/21/08 12:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Snakes & Arrows - Rush; Audio CD
I bought this one and thought I really liked it the first few times I played it. At risk of life and limb, I have to say I tired of it surprisingly quickly.

*blood simmering*

j/k, heh. You're funny.

I actually listened to it yesterday for the first time in months. I tend to agree with you. I skip many songs when I do play it. The highlights, however, are very, very good, including the two full-band instrumentals and the single "Far Cry".

Ken, if those are available as mp3s, I'd say get tracks 1, 6, and 12.

OK, that wasn't too bad. I didn't turn green and rip out of my clothes or anything.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #215785 07/21/08 01:53 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
That's kind of disappointing.

I'm definitely passing on the Krauss/Plant, but I think I'll give Snakes and Arrows a swing.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #215787 07/21/08 02:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ken, remember they also have a DVI, which as far as I can tell is like DVD-audio, for Snakes and Arrows. It has bonus interviews which are really good.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #215796 07/21/08 03:39 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not that interested in DVD audio, and from my understanding, VDI is pretty much just a DVD.

Also not available from Amazon directly any more, so I'd have to pay shipping.

Last edited by kcarlile; 07/21/08 03:39 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #215837 07/21/08 06:37 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ken,
Go for the Snakes & Arrows cd. It's one of their better production efforts. The sound of Neil Peart's "west coast kit" is worth it. Personally, I really like the whole cd from start to finish \:\)

Rock_Head #215881 07/22/08 03:51 AM
A
frequent flier
frequent flier
A
I give a hearty thumbs up to Awake and pretty much any DT, especially their earlier stuff. That is probably my 2nd favorite of their's after Metropolis 2.

I also have Ghost Reveries, my first and only Opeth so far. I actually like it, not a favorite, but it's good. In fact I think I'll give it a listen now.

It's good to see that I'm not the only one that goes on binges for CD's...Saturday I spent about 8 hours researching and shopping at various stores. Quite disappointed in what I was able to find available, but I ended up with (all new artists to me):
Norah Jones- Come Away with Me (new genre for me altogether)
OTEP- Ascension (talk about extreme difference from Norah)
Sentenced- Buried Alive (live album, 2 discs, seemed a good deal)
3- End is Begun

That wasn't good enough, so the next day I ordered from Amazon-
Cowboy Junkies- The Trinity Sessions
Paula Cole- Greatest Hits
Blackmore's Night- Secret Voyage (I kept seeing their dvd's that looked interesting, but never remembered to look them up at home until Saturday, interesting stuff)
Midnattsol- Nordlys
Krypteria- Bloodangel's Cry

I could have easily added another 5 or 6 discs, but spent too much already. At least it's much easier to smuggle in new cd's than it is speakers and large audio related equipment...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,475
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hambrabi, rrlev, Kodiak), 738 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup