The perfect speaker? Mini-M80?
#215867 07/21/08 11:54 PM
E
eK-XL Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
E
Hey everyone. I've been lurking on these forums for the past month, trying to decide what speakers to buy when the time comes (sometime this year) but it's been terribly difficult. I'm planning to start with just a two speaker system for now, but I can't even decide on what to get for that! Here's what I've been hearing:

M22: Great sound, but not much bass compared to other models. The need to buy a sub woofer suggests to me that I should consider the floor standers instead.

M60: Again, great sound, but fairly bass heavily at low volumes. Since most of my listening will be low to mid, and since I'm the kind of person to turn the treble up on my stereo rather than the bass, I think maybe this model isn't right for me, even though it's more well rounded than the M22.

M80: Of course, everyone sings the praises of this model, but I just don't have the resources to spend on both it AND a 4-ohm rated receiver to run it. This is my first system, and that's just too much right now.

Nut otherwise the M80 sounds like a perfectly balanced speaker which I attribute to it's floor standing cabinet and array of tweeters and woofers. Two tweeters, two 5.25s, and two 6.5s....

I've got a mid-sized living room, and I'm looking at 100-watt receivers (specifically the Onkyo 606), so I don't even NEED something as powerful as the M80, but I've love to have it's balanced, rich sound. Now I'm by no means an audio expert, but why doesn't axiom have a model with one of each of the above. One tweeter, one 5.25" woofer, and one 6.5" woofer. The balance of the M80 in a smaller, more affordable package.

This speaker could be an M23, a combination of the M2 and M3 -- like an M22 but with a larger body. It could be the revival of the M40.... either way, it seems like the perfect speaker for me may not exist yet.

Is there some reason such a speaker won't work? Because that's the only explanation I can think of as to why it's not part of axiom's great line-up.

What do you guys think? Am I nuts? \:\)

Re: The perfect speaker? Mini-M80?
eK-XL #215868 07/22/08 12:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think that perhaps if you went with the M22 and a sub you would be quite happy with that setup. For years I had used my M80 in a stereo setup and had been content with their bass capabilities but once I added in a subwoofer to the mix It was very clear that I did not want to go back. I believe you would be happier with this setup vs getting the M60 for example.

Haoleb #215869 07/22/08 12:08 AM
shareholder in the making
It's been discussed a fair amount before (along with an M22 in a tower enclosure). One assumes they've tried it; from what I know they've tried a number of things and discarded them. It sounds like you would enjoy an M22 and sub combo.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
eK-XL #215876 07/22/08 02:28 AM
Ben, welcome. In my view the perfect Axiom speaker already exists, and that's the M22 sound that I've enjoyed for over 6 years now with lowest bass being reinforced by a sub on some material. The M22s, even without the sub operating, have good bass down to about 50Hz with room reinforcement, which is adequate for most music. With a good sub such as the EP500 the lowest octave is covered well for pipe organ and some movie LFE. Adding a 6 1/2" driver instead of the second 5 1/4" wouldn't necessarily make a significant difference; many factors besides simply the size of the driver are involved.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

eK-XL #215879 07/22/08 03:30 AM
aficionado
aficionado
After reading your Axiom Speaker synopsis, the M60's are the logical choice.
No "special amplification" needs, (as is the case for the 4 ohm M80's) and no need for a Sub-Woofer (unless you want one used in conjunction with a home theater in the future).
You can save $$$$$$$$ and enjoy great sound.....now!

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #215880 07/22/08 03:43 AM
local
local
I'd have to echo JohnK. having just incorporated a quality sub into my system, in music and movies, it just sounds like great speakers, I don't notice where the M22 drops off and my LFM-1 picks up. It's just beautiful Music. I don't think you have to compromise at all by having the M22 if you're willing to add a decent sub into the mix.

Steve
eK-XL #215882 07/22/08 03:58 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nope, you're not nuts.

I do, however, disagree with your 'ballanced' point of view.

From your description of what you prefer, I suspect what you are saying is that you don't like the bass heavy and/or over acccentuated mids that many do. In that regard, all of Axioms offerings are quite ballanced (flat frequency response).

I think you would be happy with the sound of any of the speakers you are considering.

While it is true that the M80 goes lower, if you are adding a sub later, that lower extension is also delivered by the sub.

What the M80 delivers is more detail across the range. I particularly noticed it with the kickdrum (mid/upper bass)and cymbals. Now, having written that, unless you were to do a direct a/b comparison where you could switch back and forth at will, I think it would be hard to describe the difference.

HOWEVER, if you really want the M80s, consider another alternative. I am not ready for Bluray yet, so I decided to pick up an older model 100wpc Sherwood Newcastle receiver for around $75. It has plenty of power to drive the M80s, center and surrounds. This lets me enjoy my M80s now while I wait for bluray to become more mainstream and for receivers with the features I want and the power to drive the M80s to come down in price to something I can afford.

Since you are starting out with two channel, this seems like a very reasonable option.

Last, but not least, I would suggest that you stop reading and do a bit of listening. See if you can find someone local who will audition some of Axioms offerings for you. Another option is to find a local Paradigm dealer. The studio line seems to be sonicly similar to Axioms offerings at a higher price. Give a listen to the studio 40, 60 and 100. It will give you a rough idea of the differences between the M22, 60 and 80.

I suspect that a little listening will remove a lot of the confusion for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
LT61 #215883 07/22/08 04:05 AM
axiomite
axiomite
LT61. I don't recognize your muppet avatar. Which episode did it appear in?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
eK-XL #215889 07/22/08 05:27 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I'm confused eK-XL, have you actually listened to the M22's and M60's or are you basing those opinions on posts here?

I wouldn't call the M60s bass heavy at low volumes at all.

AdamP88 #215891 07/22/08 05:55 AM
E
eK-XL Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
E
I'd love to listen to axiom's products... but I don't really feel comfortable invading someone's home for a listen -- and anyway, most people don't have axiom's entire line setup for my listening pleasure.

Maybe someday I'll be able to visit Axiom -- they're about 13 hours away from me, but until then that's all I have to go on...

Also, a cheaper receiver isn't an option for me, as I already have a blu-ray player (PS3) as well as HD-cable, a 360, and a Wii. With probably more to come... I need all the inputs I can get!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters