Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Has Anybody Auditioned Outlaw Audio Equipment?
#21655 10/09/03 10:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Outlaw 950 processor and the 770 amp have both been extensively reviewed. The reviews have been uniformly positive. My friend has an Outlaw 1050 receiver and it is very nice - definitely powerful, pretty musical as well.

I think the Outlaw 200 wpc x 7 amp and processor is a great deal. However, your big Onkyo front end is pretty sophisticated, so you may want to consider using the Onkyo as a processor (pre-outs) into an Outlaw 770 amp. Sometime down the line, you may have had a chance to check out the 950 in someone else's system and decide to sell your Onkyo and pick up a 950. Make sure you get the most recent iteration of the 950 since the early models had some teething problems, including noise.

The 800 series Onkyo is a very nice unit, but I'll bet you'll hear a big difference if you go with a really powerful multichannel outboard amp like the 770.

I use an Onkyo TX DS797 THX as a front end, a big Onkyo M-504 2 channel amp for front channels, and an Anthem PVA-5, 5 channel amp to drive the rest of the speakers. I like this set up very much - much, much better than using the inboard amp in the 797.

Good luck.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#21656 10/09/03 10:42 PM
mhorgel Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Somebody likes my receiver...upgradeitis...fading...sanity returning.

One thought I had was to get a real nice stereo power amp or 2 monoblocks to power my M60's, and let the Onkyo do the rest of the work.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#21657 10/09/03 10:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi mhorgel

I picked up a refurbished Onkyo M282 2x100 (8ohms) 2 channel amp from uBid for about $130, used it for the front speakers of my office HT system and a Sony STRDB1070 6 amplified channel receiver for the rest. I ended up getting 2 more Onkyo 2 channel amps and the difference is HUGE. You can get refurbished M282s from Onkyo for about $200 each. Just checked uBid, and they have 1 Onkyo M282 manufacturer refurbished amp going for $110, auction closes in about 3 hours.

If you have the time and room, you might want to go used for much higher end 2 channel amps like the Onkyo M-504, or Yamaha M80, pick up a bunch and build an awesome HT system.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#21658 10/09/03 11:38 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yeah, if you decide to sell your Onkyo, let Peter know... :-) I think he needs a new one.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#21659 10/10/03 02:47 AM
mhorgel Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I just looked and there are at least 4 Onkyo 504's for sale on Ebay, along with many other fine used power amps from Carver, Rotel, and Adcom at reasonable prices (<$500). One question...there were a LOT of Adcom amps for sale...what gives with that? Also a lot of Marantz monoblocks.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"
#21660 10/10/03 01:45 PM
devotee
devotee
Another very satisfied Outlaw customer. I'm using 3 of the m200 monoblocks for my M22s & VP150. Will probably buy their next generation of the 950. Email me if you have any questions.

Regards,
Richard

#21661 10/27/03 04:48 PM
A friend of mine recently got into the 950 pre/pro. It sounds great, nice features, etc. His wife isn’t to keen on the green button either. I guess the WAF is not good with that button. I personally like it. For the price and what you get, you really can’t go wrong.

I don’t know if you will hear a big difference from your current processor. But if you are looking for separates the outlaw seems to be a good starting point. You might just consider starting out with separate amps before a pre/pro. You may notice a bigger difference there. If you are looking for more features then go for the 950 as well.

I have no experience with their amps, only what I hear in reviews.

I have the Outlaw ICBM, and it does make a difference, if you go with a 950 you wont really need one.

I use Carver PM- series of amps for all of my 7.1 amplification. I use a Pioneer mid range as a pre/pro. The amps in this are not good, but it does what I need for a pre/pro. I will be looking for a 950 in the future. Although I am working on getting all my speakers switched over to Axiom. Except for a nice SVS B4+ for the sub.

#21662 10/27/03 11:33 PM
veteran
veteran
I have owned the 950 forabout 14 months now...I just missed out as having a first generation, but when production was restarted, I got mine within a week or so. I had efficient speakers and noticed the so called "hiss", and the Outlaws gave me a new "hiss free" model in the end of December. The first unit was fantastic, with about the same level of hiss as my 1883 Sony receiver had, and just slightly more than my NAD 7175PE receiver has. That is to say, it was quiet unless I really cranked it, then it became noticable when nothing was playing and the volume was waaaaay up.

Now it is dead quiet. Quiet as it turn it up all the way and put an ear within about 2 inches of the dang speaker! Customer service is superb. The warranty is 5 years. Those who think it is outdated have to have the latest and greatest...I will use this as my main audio controller for many, many years to come. It does everything I want and more, and it was better to my ears than the Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony, and Yamaha. Only the H/K sounded as good. I never believed in a "break-in" period, or a big difference in solid state sound. Now I believe in both. The Outlaw brought out details I never heard before. Now that I have paired it with the Epic 80 system and an SVS sub (along with an 85 X 5 Parasound amp), detail is astounding!

The bottom line is...MOST of the people who complain about the Outlaw equipment has never owned it! I would also bet that 99% of Outlaw owners are satisfied. Compare that to the horrors that many big brand owners have...especially customer service from these companies.

"Life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness"...Go Packers! and Go Badgers!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters