Page 1 of 2 1 2
Speaker Decisions & Other Questions
#2174 03/24/02 10:30 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular

I plan on the following:
- Denon 2802
- M22 mains (wall mounted; bottom of speakers @ 92" from floor)
- VP150 center (bottom of speaker @ 76" from floor)
- EP175 sub
- surrounds? (wall mounted; bottom of speakers @ 94" from floor)

Q1: I do not know which speakers to use as surrounds: M3, QS4 or QS8?
Q2: My room is not 'ideal' for home theater, but how bad do you really think it will sound? Some
of the local stores have told me I will lose alot of imaging since my mains will be 19ft apart and
92" from the floor.
Q3: Which brand of 12Ga speaker wire would you recommend that is under $1.00 per foot?

Here is my room:

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Speaker Decisions & Other Questions
#2175 03/25/02 05:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hello clemmons

if you are using the M22's and VP150, i would go with the QS-8's for rears. Also, you might want to look into getting your speakers set up differently. I would suggest putting the M22's about 12 feet apart, and at listening level. the vp 150 should also be at listening level, directly in front of you. the QS 8's should be rear mounted.

as for wiring, since you are buying some REALLY good speakers here, i would recommend you go with Kimber Kable 4pr, at least! you can get it from Marc Hallam for about 2.20$ a foot at the audioshop in ottawa, or you can find a local dealer. it goes VERY well with the Axiom speaker line, and is well worth the money. cheap cable will really bring the quality of sound down. radio shack wire just doesn't cut it.

the Denon 2802 is a VERY good receiver. if you can afford it, i hear the 3802 is better.

good luck, and feel free to post back any further input, questions, or comments!

happy listening you'll adore the m22's and vp 150

#2176 03/26/02 01:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
hello clemmons

my mistake. i meant to say i recommend the QS 4, not 8

i apologize!

#2177 03/27/02 09:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Your system seems decently balanced, and as you are finding out, few homes are "perfect" for listening rooms. Let us look at your questions:

1) As mentioned by several people, most notably Alan, the QS line is a preferred surround speaker. I would hazard a guess this could still be true, but directional M3's may be a close second. I make this comment because of the distance from the requried placements to the listening position and lack of wall structure on the outsides of the speakers. I wonder if anyone has simialr experience in placements with openings on the sides of a QS?

3) Speaker wire is the subject of much conjecture and debate. It can polish an already very good system, but dramatic improvements are seldom the norm. Find a dealer you can trust and possibly audtion a few competing brands.

2) True, your room may not be ideal, but let us examine the options:
a) - based on the comments, abandon HT/Audio plans and systems
b) - renovate the room with help of an Acoustical Design expert
c) - build a system based on quality advice, choices and equipment. Then adjust the system to provide the best performance it can in your existing room.

I think you can determine fairly quickly that C is your easiest and most desirable option - that is unless you have a renovation in mind!

One thing that jumps to mind would be the levels you would be expecting in terms of volume. With the sheer size of the room, the openness could require a more powerful amplifier. But this really would depend on the levels you like.

If it were my decision, I would build as you have planned, and tune the system as required.

#2178 03/28/02 05:12 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
BBIBH,

Thank you for your response!

The 'c' option is definitely the way to go. Renovating is out of the question, especially since my house is only 9 months old.

I especially want to here peoples experiences with QS models in placements with openings on the side. This will
help me decide between the M3s and QS models.

Thanks again,

David

#2179 03/28/02 07:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
clemmons,

How much are you looking to put down on the receiver? I just purchased a Denon 3802 in Toronto. I looked and was pretty much going to go with the 2802 but for the added power, more 'future proof' features and the more appealing look of the remote I spent a few more dollars for the 3802. I have owned it for 2 months now and haven't looked back.

Just a thought.

#2180 03/30/02 01:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Your room looks like a great listening environment. I'd consider getting a pair of M50s instead of the M22s. The M50s have a much fuller and still incredibly accurate sound. I personally don't think there's any comparison between them.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#2181 03/30/02 03:46 AM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
avadict,

If you don't mind my asking, where did you pick up your 3802 and for how much? I'm in the maritimes, but will be staying in the Hamilton/Toronto area for a few weeks in the spring. I had *planned* on buying the 2802, but if a good price is available on the 3802...

Thanks in advance

#2182 03/31/02 07:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
fhw,

Hello fellow maritimer. I am from Annapolis Royal NS but now am living in Bermuda. Here is what I know!

I received a quote from Peak Audio in Hfx of about $2,000 cdn. Not impressed by this price I took a trip to Toronto. I called around to numerous places and got a $1750 price from most. However Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto said af I came in to see them they would deal. I ended up with the 3802 for $1550 cdn. Almost $500 off the Peak Audio price. So I took it. Have had it for two months now and love it. Only problem I seem to have is that the video signal seems to break up when I am watching dvd's that switch from scene to scene rapidly. I have only an rca connection from the dvd to the amp out to the tv. My tv is old and an upgrade is needed so hopefully a new tv will fix this problem. 3802 is highly recommended as I am sure you know from looing at all the forums. How much was your quote on the 2802? Where were you looking to purchase? You can probably get a great price from Bay Bloor when you are out there.

Anyway, good luck. Let me know how you make out!

#2183 03/31/02 08:07 PM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
avadict,

My first quote (also from Peak Audio) was $1450 for the 2802. Who the hell keeps saying the maritimes are cheap? I'm actually working in Saint John NB for a couple of months (though I'd MUCH rather be in Bermuda), and there's a place in Moncton called Sounds Fantastic that quoted $1299 over the phone...which means the actual sale price should solidly beat that.

Video switching isn't an issue for me right now, since I only have S-video on my TV. My next set won't be for a couple of years, and all HDTV montiors have multiple sets of component inputs anyway. I was debating between a Denon and Arcam receiver, but in the end the musicality of the Arcam lost out the features offered on the 2802 or 3802 (6.1, DPL2, video switching, etc.) I am after all looking for a HT receiver first and foremost.

No matter what I get, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting my new receiver in T.O. when I travel there in May. I don't doubt Bay Bloor is the #1 Denon retailer in the GTA, but I was wondering if you'd gotten a better price at a different dealer. With that kind of deal, though, it looks like I'll be shopping at Bay Bloor.

Sounds like you got a fantastic deal on the 3802, and many thanks for the reply!

Last edited by fhw; 03/31/02 08:08 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020