Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Where the light is...John Mayer
#217767 08/11/08 02:59 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
This Blu Ray is totally kick #$%. I had no idea John Mayer played like this. A friend saw him in concert a few weeks ago and said his blues guitar playing was great. I bought the disc today and I'm watching the trio portion. This is an extremely good sounding disc.

Caveat about my Blu Ray reviews: Two weeks ago I was enraputured by Celine Dion's A New Day. I bought it to watch with my girlfriend. I think I've watched it fifteen times. Seriously, even if you hate her, throw it on you Netflix list and let your wife watch it. She will really like it. And if you have young daughters there is some nice dancing in it if they are interested in ballet and modern dance. And watch at least one track on it. She covers River Deep Mountain High and really shows she is the boss. I wish she sang more high energy songs like that instead of the wimpy stuff that made her probably a billion dollars.

Ok go ahead and make fun of me now.

Last edited by Lampshade; 08/11/08 03:12 AM. Reason: fixed incorrect word

M3 and
M80
Re: Where the light is...John Mayer
Lampshade #217769 08/11/08 03:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
cool, I will have to pick up this one once I nab a bluray player in the comming weeks.

-David
terzaghi #217786 08/11/08 02:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That disk is plain awesome. I'm a big JM fan. Actually, cool side story in a minute about him...

Where the Light Is was recorded in LA last Winter (Dec. 2007 I think). It was filmed with a real film camera, as opposed to digital. I found the direction to be really great. The show, needless to say, was pretty phenomenal. You get all three incarnations of the John Mayer experience - his solo, acoustic act (wherein lie his roots), his Trio ensemble, which is a very accomplished blues/classic rock effort and his full, live band. It's an interesting branding move - the Trio is. I think it will help him sell his blues stuff, there being less confusion about what you're buying when you pick up a John Mayer disk vs. a John Mayer Trio disk.

Alright - my cool JM story. My brother in law works at Johns Hopkins in the oncology ward doing patient's last days liaison work. It's kind of a downer job - he assists families through the death of their loved ones. So, pretty much, every day, people are dying around him. Bummer. There are some perks, though. Assisting people through such emotionally trying times creates instant bond between people sometimes. About 8 or 10 years ago, the guitar luthier Paul Reed Smith found himself in the company of my brother in law as a result of the sickness of one of his close relatives. Micheal (brother in law) and Paul hit it off, and they have been good friends ever since.

Being good friends with a guitar maker whose guitars rank up there with Fender and Gibson has its perks. Needless to say, Mike's house is littered with literally dozens of one-off, custom guitars that Paul has made for him. I play guitar and have for years. So, my jealousy is hard to mask.

Recently, John Mayer was caught on YouTube playing a Paul Reed Smith (PRS) guitar with Buddy Guy, I believe. JM Has an exclusive contract to play on stage with Fender guitars, so that was a bit remarkable. PRS approached him and asked if he wanted a guitar made for him. John said yes and gave the custom shop the specs. Well, long short long, the guitar was not up to John's liking - he wanted a darker finish. So, back to the shop the guitar went.

Here's where the cool part comes in. Mike had been promising to get me a guitar for years. But finding a spot on the custom schedule can, at times, be difficult, especially when he's not a paying customer. When Mike heard that JM had ordered and played the guitar, but ultimately wanted something slightly different and sent it back, he jumped on it. Paul agreed to give him the guitar instead. Well, this weekend, I was given this gorgeous thing of beauty, which I now proudly call my own. It came with a letter to John Mayer's agent in New York, with the shipping info, etc., with a notation (coded) that said - "Artist Special Order - JM."

It's a semi-hollow body, electric guitar, with book matched curly maple front and back, in a natural finish (no stain). The neck is Brazilian Rosewood and the tuning pegs are Ebony. I'll post some pics soon, hopefully.

Thanks for reading.

Capn_Pickard #217788 08/11/08 02:23 PM
shareholder in the making
I will make fun of you. Also, my wife will kick my ass if I ever bring home Celine Dion for her to watch.

<Nelson>Ha ha!</nelson>

That said, glad to hear you're enjoying blu-ray. Someday I will see and have this wonder.

Cap, that's totally awesome, and we need pictures.

Last edited by kcarlile; 08/11/08 02:23 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #217789 08/11/08 02:57 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
My only fault about the disc are the interludes. John is a little whiny and needy. But I think he will mature out of that.

M3 and
M80
Capn_Pickard #217796 08/11/08 04:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
Well, this weekend, I was given this gorgeous thing of beauty

I now have guitar envy.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #217801 08/11/08 05:02 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
The audio on this disk is the best I've every heard. The Dave Mathews / Tim Reynolds was my best sounding disk, but this one is just a wee bit better.

michael_d #217804 08/11/08 05:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
ok, thats it I HAVE to buy a bluray player!

-David
terzaghi #217805 08/11/08 05:56 PM
Celine Dion got you hooked, huh?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #217808 08/11/08 06:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

-David
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940