Print Thread
Rate Thread
Baseball stadium sound system
#218245 08/17/08 06:53 PM
L
LionJak Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi guys and gals! New to this forum and see a lot of great technical discussion and tips, however, here's my question/concern:

The Algonquin Outdoor Speakers seem to be a great value based upon performance. Has anyone experience with these in a true outdoor environment, that being your local high school baseball stadium? Our local Lions club is upgrading the inadequate sound system as one of our community projects. Based upon what most of you understand how a stadium is laid out--a "press box" directly behind home plate with about 100 feet of bleacher seating in both directions (parallel with 1st and 3rd base lines)

If I were to place these two speakers one on each corner of the front of the 8' x 12' pressbox--high enough to discourage vandalism--would ttheir output--based upon a 200 watt amp be sufficient?

Please feel free to ask for clarification on needed physical specs. Oh, and by the way...I need to make a proposal to my board this week...no pressure!

Thanks!
Jack

Re: Baseball stadium sound system
LionJak #218247 08/17/08 07:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think these speakers are intended to be used in smaller outdoor gatherings. I believe some type of commercial grade outdoor speaker/amp system will be in order for your situation.

I really am only guessing here though.

-David
terzaghi #218248 08/17/08 07:40 PM
shareholder in the making
Yeah, I think you'd probably need horn based speakers to get high enough output for that application, unfortunately.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
LionJak #218249 08/17/08 08:02 PM
As nice sounding as the Algonquins are supposed to be, you've got the wrong animal. These aren't PA speakers and would never be heard above a crowd...

You may want to check out something like this combined with one of these for each side of the box... though I'm not sure how well they would interface with your existing amp.

Parts Express has a great reputation....

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 08/17/08 08:19 PM. Reason: Added links and info so I don't come off sounding arrogant! :)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
LionJak #218272 08/18/08 03:15 AM
Hi, Jack and welcome. Yeah, as the previous replies indicated, the Algonquins wouldn't really do the job, except for the folks in the press box or sitting near it. Although they're "outdoor speakers", this means that they're been modified to handle outdoor weather conditions, not that they have the output capacity for crowds a considerable distance away outdoors. Typical listening distances of maybe 10-20' feet are fine outdoors, but with little sound level reinforcement from surrounding surfaces the level drops off more nearly at the theoretical 6dB per doubling of distance that applies anechoically. PA-type speakers have max output capacities at the usual 1 meter distance as high as 130dB, and although your stadium is relatively small, just a pair of regular outdoor speakers on the press box wouldn't be loud enough if(hopefully)there were some fans in the farthest seats.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020