Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Florida Members.............you guys ok?
LT61 #218594 08/21/08 02:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: LT61
I'm still trying to get used to the poor weather reporting up here in Illinois. Larry

As an avid weather nut who lives in Illinois, what do you mean? Do you not agree with your local NWS office? I'm just curious why you think the weather reporting is poor here.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #218655 08/21/08 10:37 PM
LT61 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
No big deal, but....my local (Chicagoland) weather reports seem to be light on national weather information (unlike my local Florida stations were) and far as the Illinois/Chicago forecasts usually go, they try to cover too wide an area....in their segments. Then, there was the "chance of rain today" forecast a few weeks ago, which turned out to be that HUGE , destructive, system as wide as the state.
On a positive note, Weatherbug seems to work well, and I still have the National news weather, and the weather channel.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #218664 08/21/08 11:12 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Tom Skilling on channel 9 (WGN) is about the best weather man in all of Chicagoland. You can bet he is on the mark most of the time.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #218679 08/22/08 12:21 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Folks down here need to have a good national weather report, otherwise nobody here would know what's happening 'back home'. ;\)

I remember whenever I was growing up in Orlando, we had Danny Trainer as our local channel 9 weatherman who would be half soused for the 6 o'clock news and would be downright staggering by the time the 11 o'clock report rolled around ... he stuck around for years and years.

I now get all of my weather from the Internet, I miss the good old days.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #218688 08/22/08 01:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'll take our local (New Orleans) weather over the "national" versions, anytime. If you watch The Weather Channel during any given storm, they report 1-2" of rain expected. If you watch the local news they'll tell you that your gonna get 1-2" per hour. Big difference.

Scott

Scott

My HT
RickF #218697 08/22/08 03:11 AM
shareholder in the making
 Originally Posted By: RickF
who would be half soused for the 6 o'clock news and would be downright staggering by the time the 11 o'clock report rolled around {{SNIPPED}}
I now get all of my weather from the Internet, I miss the good old days.

OK, lets all start posting drunk for Rick!

We'll take care of 'ya, buddy! ;\)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #218702 08/22/08 03:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:

Um, you weren't before??

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #218716 08/22/08 11:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Speaking of weather forecasting, a local rock radio station decided that they would pit the professional forecasters against the cows this summer. Just in case this isn't a universally accepted form of forecasting, ;\) there is an old saying that if the cows are laying down in the fields that it will rain that day.

Well, in an uncontested victory, the cows are beating the forecasters by a ratio of 3 to 1. This is the last week since it started July 1 so there is no hope for the pros to make a comeback.

Can cows really feel rain coming on? Is it coincidence? Is it perhaps that we have had almost nothing but rain since the middle of July and cows are just inherently lazy?

Not sure, but I'm thinking Peter that you should add a cow to your home weather station.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
fredk #218723 08/22/08 12:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
 Quote:

Um, you weren't before??

LOL..... \:\)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Wid #218738 08/22/08 02:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: wid

Tom Skilling on channel 9 (WGN) is about the best weather man in all of Chicagoland. You can bet he is on the mark most of the time.

Straying off topic here....

Not just Chicagoland, Tom Skilling is recognized as one of the best TV weather-people in the whole country. So yeah, he's very good. But he makes mistakes too, because he's only as good as the info he's being given.

If you're passionate about the weather, you can't go with what you see on TV. Not even from WGN or The Weather Channel. Go to the source, the National Weather Service. Don't just gloss over your local forecast, but read the 'Forecast Discussion' for your area. You quickly learn that the real meteorologists sometimes question the forecast that's going out to the weather outlets. They will say things like, 'going w/ a chance of scattered storms but concerned about areas to the southwest where dewpoints will be high and CAPE values are exceeding -blah-blah-blah'. Rarely will TV news pick up on that, and you get the 'just a chance of rain tomorrow' line from the local TV.

Maybe that's where Illinois forecasts differ from Florida ones.

And no, I have no plans to add a cow to my home weather station. I'm pretty sure my town has an ordinance against it. ;\)

On the other hand, our cat does know when storms are approaching. I don't know if he can hear/sense the thunder, or if it's just being a weird cat. He's scared of thunder, and always tries to be as close as possible to my wife or me during a storm. But 15-30 minutes before a storm, he'll start sticking really close to one or both of us. On more than one occasion his strange behavior has prompted me to check the weather, only to find out that something significant is on it's way towards us. Sort of interesting, I think.

...and back to topic.

I am glad to hear that our Florida friends are weathering the storm well. Having no desire to live anywhere that's hit by hurricanes, I can only imagine the joy in living through that.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457