Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Algonquin Weatherproofing
#224000 10/06/08 01:21 AM
myrison Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
So, first things first... Yes, my wife did get me the Algonquins. She had me guessing though as they didn't show up while opening gifts. UPS dropped them off later in the day on my birthday, which was an even better surprise. What timing!

In any case... I installed them inside for now as I don't have all of the speaker cable needed to make the run from the second story to the backyard deck. The point of this post is not to review the sound, but as a brief note, WOW. It is amazing how good these little speakers sound.

To the point though... as we were listening to them upstairs, my wife said "Are you really going to put these outside? Aren't you afraid they'll get ruined in the rain/heat/etc. in Texas? I knew the speakers were quite tough, but decided to read through the manual just to see what it said. What I read totally cracked me up, so I wanted to post it here... it's bar none my favorite line in any product manual I've read in quite awhile.

Originally Posted By: Axiom Algonquin Manual
If you drop your speaker into a pool, unscrew the woofer and pull it out of the cabinet to drain the speaker. Reinstall the woofer and the speaker is ready for use again. The screened, angled port prevents water from entering the speaker under normal circumstances.

\:D \:D

When I read this out loud to my wife, we both agreed that if they can survive immersion in a pool, there's probably not much the rain & heat is going to do to harm them any worse than that. ;\)

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
Re: Algonquin Weatherproofing
myrison #224002 10/06/08 01:52 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Are you sure it doesnt say,

If you drop your speakerinto a pool, What are you doing buying speakers this good and dropping them into a pool for, you fool.

\:\)

I have a saltwater pool, Not the ocean an actual pool, Maybe it should say to hose them out with fresh water too \:\)

Haoleb #224008 10/06/08 02:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
wow, salt water pool eh? pretty cool.

-David
terzaghi #224015 10/06/08 02:34 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
wow, salt water pool eh? pretty cool.

Yeah, They are pretty easy to take care of. At least we dont really do anything to it. It uses the salt in the water to produce chlorine via a electrically operated chlorine cell thingamabobber so you never really have to add chlorine or anything either. Had the pool and spa finished for a year and i havent even been in it.

Haoleb #224044 10/06/08 03:41 AM
shareholder in the making
Yeah, Brandon; those chlorine generators work by electrolysis, using salt and water in the reaction NaCl+2H2O=HOCl+NaOH+2H2. It's the hypochlorous acid(HOCl)that actually works in the pool water, rather than chlorine gas. Also note the production of hydrogen gas(H2). Hope that you don't smoke(remember the Hindenburg).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #224058 10/06/08 12:07 PM
Didn't Mr. Fancypants say something about a "Minor in Chemistry"? \:\)

JohnK for President......

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #224071 10/06/08 01:49 PM
myrison Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Keep trying Mark, maybe eventually he'll change his signature to:

----------------------------------- Enjoy the music, not the equipment. "Mr. Fancypants"

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #224095 10/06/08 09:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Most all new pools nowadays are of the NaCl+2H2O=HOCl+NaOH+2H2 ;\) type, at least down in my area they are.

Brandon, whenever our salt pool was built a couple of years ago our Intellichlor was bad and read 'Add Salt' almost on a weekly basis ... whenever the Intellichlor rep came out to check the chlorine generator he had a very nice little digital TDS tester that I asked him about, ended up ordering one from him for 100 bucks and I'd suggest anybody that has a salt pool to have one of these testers. If I would have known about this whenever we had our pool built it could have saved us a lot of aggravation that first bad little chlorine generator caused us.

Here's the tester, you may already have one... LaMotte

Awhile back I asked Alan about the Algonquins holding up in the harsh salt environment where we live due to the Atlantic being a couple of blocks away and he told me that these speakers can actually be thrown into a pool and will be perfectly fine and that the salt air wouldn't hurt them in the least ... I thought, COOL! A non-forum member friend has a set and he said they sounded extremely good and hasn't had the least amount of problems with them being outside all summer ... which, in south Florida can be very tough.

I need to order a set of those things soon.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #224101 10/06/08 10:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Most all new pools nowadays are of the NaCl+2H2O=HOCl+NaOH+2H2 ;\) type, at least down in my area they are.

Brandon, whenever our salt pool was built a couple of years ago our Intellichlor was bad and read 'Add Salt' almost on a weekly basis ... whenever the Intellichlor rep came out to check the chlorine generator he had a very nice little digital TDS tester that I asked him about, ended up ordering one from him for 100 bucks and I'd suggest anybody that has a salt pool to have one of these testers. If I would have known about this whenever we had our pool built it could have saved us a lot of aggravation that first bad little chlorine generator caused us.

Here's the tester, you may already have one... LaMotte

Awhile back I asked Alan about the Algonquins holding up in the harsh salt environment where we live due to the Atlantic being a couple of blocks away and he told me that these speakers can actually be thrown into a pool and will be perfectly fine and that the salt air wouldn't hurt them in the least ... I thought, COOL! A non-forum member friend has a set and he said they sounded extremely good and hasn't had the least amount of problems with them being outside all summer ... which, in south Florida can be very tough.

I need to order a set of those things soon.

When we first got the pool going our chlorine cell was bad also, The water flow sensor was not working and it was coming on when there was no water flow which risks an explosion among other things. The unit we have shows water temp, salinity percentage and stuff but that does look like a pretty neat tester. Thanks for the link \:\)

If the algonquins can withstand salt air, thats something to be proud of because there are quite a few houses on the ocean here obviously and I have seen speakers rust and look trashed in literally weeks. I dont live close to the ocean but I have seen driver mounting screws rust on my speakers and sometimes steel screws inside of components. I would never live on the ocean because you simply cannot have nice things there or they will get trashed.

MarkSJohnson #224122 10/07/08 01:53 AM
Naw, Mark; chemistry major.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics