Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
does this mean i'm banned too?
#22493 10/17/03 04:14 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
pasted screen from the spot...have i been asked to not come back?
dan

Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /web/home2/w026125/docs/htsthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 38
SQL ERROR: Fri, Oct 17 2003 12:16:09 -0400 Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /web/home2/w026125/docs/htsthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 45

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /web/home2/w026125/docs/htsthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 104
SQL ERROR: Fri, Oct 17 2003 12:16:09 -0400 Database error only visible to forum administrators

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /web/home2/w026125/docs/htsthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 130

October 17, 2003 08/22/02 - NEWS
New reviews

Welcome to HomeTheaterSpot.Com! The SPoT to be for information on Home Theater.
Visit the NEW and improved DVD Review Section ->
• Remember, if you don't login, you are missing a third of the SPoT's offerings.
• WARNING Please read the precautions and disclaimers at the bottom of this page before proceeding!

Main Index | Search | New user | Login | Who's Online | FAQ

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /web/home2/w026125/docs/htsthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 104

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /web/home2/w026125/docs/htsthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 130

Extra information
Please register a user.
Show favorite forums.
Registered User(s).
Welcome to our newest member,
There are 0 registered and 0 anonymous users online.
Current adjusted date is: 10/17/03 09:16 AM View recent messages
Past 24 hours
Past 48 hours
Past 7 days Legend: New posts
No new posts
No new posts

Contact Us | Privacy statement HTS Home Page

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

THIS LOGIN IS FOR YOUR FREE EMAIL, NOT FOR THE FORUM. Email Login
Password

New users sign up!

HomeTheaterSpot.Com Mail Address!

WARNING

The following instructions in any of these forums should be followed by qualified persons only. Neither HomeTheaterSpot.Com Inc. nor it’s sponsors, members or posters assume or warranty/guarantee any procedures that may be suggested and anyone who performs any of these adjustments agrees to accept total responsibility for any damage that may result and hold HomeTheaterSpot.Com, it’s agents and members harmless. Doing the wrong thing in any Service Menus or Electrical Components could very easily render your unit unusable or cause a danger of fire, exposure to radiation and risk of electrical shock resulting in personal injury and/or property damage. Heed all factory warnings, cautions and symbols on the electronics or outlined in the Service manual of the product or appliance pertaining to risks. It is important that any persons read the “SAFETY PRECAUTIONS” and “PRODUCT SAFETY NOTICE” contained in any manuals. Entering the electrical cavity of any piece of electronics can expose you to “Dangerous Voltage” within the products enclosure that may be of sufficient magnitude to constitute a risk of electrical shock and personal injury.

We strongly recommend that you do not perform procedures or setups yourself and we absolutely recommend that you not go fooling around with any of the other parameters unless you are qualified or understand what risks that you may incur. Consult a qualified electronics technician or manufacturer if you have any concerns about making any procedures that would deviate your equipment from the Manufacturers defaults.

Actual service technicians can and have totally screwed up one of these sets by accidentally changing the wrong parameter so don't you make the same mistake! Many electrical and mechanical parts in electronic devices have special safety related characteristics. Observe all cautions and safety related notes located inside the electrical device’s cabinet and on the electrical device’s chassis. Operation of any electrical device outside the cabinet or with the cover removed presents a shock hazard from the electrical devices power supplies. Work on any electrical device should not be attempted by anyone who is not thoroughly familiar with the precautions necessary when working on high voltage equipment. Do not install, remove or handle the picture tubes of any electrical device in any manner unless shatterproof goggles are worn. People not so equipped should be kept away while the picture tube is being handled. RADIATION WARNING: Keep the picture tube away from the body while handling. When replacing or handling cathode ray tubes (CRTs) may generate X-Radiation, so take proper precaution when servicing. It is recommended that a lead apron be used for shielding while handling the CRT. When service is required, observe the original lead dress. Extra precaution should be taken to assure correct lead dress in the high voltage areas. The Manufacturer could deem playing around in the Service Menus as grounds for voiding your warranty. These are NOT Authorized adjustments!

(C)opyright 2000 - 2003 - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.

Re: does this mean i'm banned too?
#22494 10/17/03 04:25 PM
local
local
The website seems to be down altogether.

Mark
#22495 10/17/03 05:32 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
no doubt, adding the axiom heading again.

#22496 10/17/03 07:16 PM
shareholder in the making
What URL were you trying to go to?

#22497 10/17/03 07:54 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
HomeTheaterSpot.Com

#22498 10/17/03 08:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I visited the site this morning, and indeed the Axiom spot is gone. What a putz.

#22499 10/17/03 08:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
With respect to everyone, can't we just give this topic a rest?

Ford

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#22500 10/17/03 09:51 PM
I hereby solemnly swear to cease making posts having to do with Paul and his Spot, until I choose to do otherwise.

#22501 10/18/03 02:02 AM
veteran
veteran
So what is the back story with this?

#22502 10/18/03 02:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Jimmy...it's too sorid and ridiculous to rehash all over again. Sorry, but you missed it.

#22503 10/18/03 02:37 AM
old hand
old hand
No, Jimmy....be glad that you missed it!

Mark

#22504 10/18/03 02:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

With respect to everyone, can't we just give this topic a rest?

Ford

Yes. Let's let sleeping dogs lie. [sorry for the extremely horrible pun; I just had to.]

#22505 10/18/03 04:04 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
i e-mailed paul to get the permissions re-set. the board is still there for paid spotties, and if you ask for permission. i still frequent his board. i'm not rehashing old trash, but do find his place has informative info.
dan

#22506 10/20/03 08:53 PM
regular
regular
I thought Paul from the SPOT was an owner and supporter of Axiom. The spot is where I first heard about axiom.

#22507 10/21/03 01:40 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Ironic isn't it? (No not "Isn't it ironic, dontchathink" - lol no Alanis.)

#22508 10/21/03 03:31 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Ok, at the risk of being flamed by members, being called names, which is already happening, and then drug through the mud ONCE again, I will say this.

First, I AM A TOTAL SUPPORTER OF AXIOM SPEAKERS. Unfortunately some here decided to go on an insult slinging campaign here on this forum because of the way I run my forum and I let myself get drug into it. I have apologized several times to people if they felt I didn’t explain my rules well enough or that I was singling anyone out. It is fine if you don't like the SPoT or me for that matter. You don't have to visit the SPoT but that doesn’t give people the right to smear someone the way I was here. I said my peace in the following thread on the SPoT.

What happened to Axiom?

The reason this thread here was started was the entire forum was down Saturday evening due to a crash in our MySQL database because of traffic. The member in question was not banned. The server was down for most of the evening until I got up the next morning to check the site. Nobody was being singled out.

The Axiom forum on the SPoT was removed to a hidden area available to paid members and all those members who want access and agree to abide by the rules I have established regarding conduct and posting information. This removal from public view was done at the request of Ian, the President of Axiom. He felt that it was best to remove it for now until people here let go of it. I didn't really want to remove it because it wasn't fair to the members of the SPoT who really wanted to have an Axiom forum there. It seems that things still are not calming down here and in fact removing it has caused all kinds of speculation that isn't true.

Anyway, as I said I have no issues with Axiom Audio, I love their speakers, and I will continue to promote the information for the SPotties about Axiom Speakers on the SPoT. That is all I have to say here about it. I don’t feel it is fair that people are being given the false impression that I have any other feelings toward Axiom Audio other than GOOD ONES.

I respectfully ask that people refrain from any more name calling toward me after I leave. Frankly I am tired of the emails from people asking if I have seen this thread and what is up so hopefully this will put the issue to rest and people can go back to talking about Axiom Speakers in a positive and deserved way.

#22509 10/21/03 05:16 PM
Well said, Paul. Thanks for heading off the rumors before they got out of hand.

#22510 10/21/03 06:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm glad he let us know what was going on too.

Thank you.

#22511 10/22/03 10:50 PM
veteran
veteran
I have never posted on the SPOT, and have never commented on the situation. I really do not know the entire background of the story, and may be way out of line, but since Paul showed up here, I feel I have the right to comment.

I checked out the SPOT because of something I read while lurking here and looking to buy some speakers. I went to the SPOT and checked out the speaker manufacturer forums. I was visiting the Axiom forum at the SPOT for about a week when someone advised another poster to look for Axiom information on THIS board. Then all hell broke loose.

As I said, I have never posted at the SPOT and generally lurk to learn, but after seeing the SPOT's rules about never sending someone to another site with possible information, I will never visit there again. Without someone mentioning Paul's site here, I never would have visited there. Without hearing of this site from either HTF or AVS, I never would have come to this site, and never would have spent $1600+ on Axiom speakers. Maybe there is more to the story that I missed, but I will not visit there again as long as there is a restriction to citing information found at another site.

"Life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness"...Go Packers! and Go Badgers!
#22512 10/22/03 11:07 PM
Man, this horse is truly dead.

Paul is not an evil man. Please let the subject R.I.P.

#22513 10/23/03 03:12 AM
old hand
old hand
Thanks for saying that - you beat me to the punch!

Mark

#22514 10/23/03 06:24 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Well, all I can say is that post does not sum up the "rules" on the SPoT, but no matter. If you read the SPoT you can obviously see that we have plenty of referrals to other forums on the SPoT, as long as they are in the context of an answer and not an attempt to undermine the forum or cause a distraction. It is the same policy on all the other forums on HT including, AVS, HTF, DTF and others. I am not going to get into that all over again. You can do a search yourself to see we don’t make a habit of editing out referrals unless they are blatant and frankly it is rare even in that regard. AVS is literally mentioned thousands upon thousands of times on the SPoT. It is the same for HTF and the others. It would be very easy for me to wipe those out if I had a policy that prohibited it. The rule is there for people who ABUSE it.

I have apologized to, any and all, if I made a mistake and jumped to the conclusion of what a couple of members “may” have been trying to do. Chalk it up to a misunderstanding on my part. I can only fall on my sword so many times and say I am sorry before it looks pretty pathetic. However, it isn't as if it has not happened before where someone started an attempt to Spam the SPoT for memberships. I apologized if anyone felt singled out, I was just trying to get people to be courteous and try to help me build info, in a young forum, like the Axiom SPoT, that needs babying, and to be helpful to everyone concerned and help support the fact I and many others have put a lot of time and effort into building the SPoT.

I am only here because people have started threads on this. Sorry if I am concerned about the truth and that people do NOT misinterpret my relationship with Axiom. That I cannot allow, so as I said I hope that the issue has been put to rest. Nothing more can really be said that has not already been said countless times.

BTW, I am opening up the Axiom SPoT to all users even the ones I had the initial dispute with. I feel I have made my peace with them and they have been coming to my defense, so all is well as far as I am concerned. If you have problems seeing it let me know and I will fix it.

If the concepts of the SPoT community are not to your liking, then you always have the freedom to go elsewhere. Many do find it a home that they feel comfortable in and I hope that many continue to find it so but as the saying Lincoln said, “… you can’t please all of the people, all of the time.”

I have also revamped the Banner on the SPoT for Axiom. I have the M22ti, a VP150 and four QS8’s for surrounds and rears. I can honestly say that of all the speakers I have run through my Home Theater these are far and away the best in this price range I have had. I get requests to listen and test speakers all the time. It is rare that I actually keep them after I am done as I have with Axiom. I hope that says something about how I feel about them.

Paul

#22515 10/23/03 08:19 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
paul, happy to hear this has finally come to a peaceful conclusion. your "home" is usually one of my daily stops. friends who ask me where they can get info on tv's, vcr's dvd players etc. are told to check out the various boards like yours. unfortunately in business, we all have competitors; some we call friendly competitors who we will send customers to when we are out of stock or do not carry a particular line, the others are not recommended. when a competitor suggests us, we feel it's a compliment. i'm sure if someone on the axiom board wanted more info on a topic that was not discussed here, your site as well as others would be suggested, thus receiving a compliment.
i like the layout of your board, the info i have gathered, and will continue to visit.
dan

#22516 10/23/03 09:37 PM
It is unkind to pummel formerly alive equines...

#22517 10/23/03 10:09 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
did i pummel? thought i was paying a compliment to paul and his "house" (board). i hope others didn't misinterpret(sp) too.
dan

#22518 10/23/03 10:19 PM
Paul is not the horse. Anything and everything to do with either going to or not going to his forum, in light of the recent brou-ha-ha (is that how you spell it?), is the horse.

(Wow. Taking that sentence out of context would make it really confusing... )

#22519 10/23/03 10:30 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
huh? wow i'm as confused about your replies now as a home owner asking me on the phone what's wrong with her dryer as she holds the phone to the dryer so i can hear the noise.
dan
i even re-read my post to check spelling on house.

#22520 10/23/03 11:33 PM
veteran
veteran
Pummeling formerly alive equines = beating a dead horse

By the way, I have read the post that was a response to mine. As I said, I was just a lurker at the spot and never posted there, so I was not involved. I just commented on what I saw after beginning to frequent the site. I said that I might be way off base, and I see Paul apologises again. It is over for all involved. My comment stands, however, as I was put off enough that I don't need to go back...at least not for a while.

I guess it is not just his site. I frequent gun, hunting,audio, theater, racing, and football sites. Many sites start out friendly but get vicious when a few unruly people begin to frequent them. Paul is not neccessarily the cause of my feelings towards the site. I just plain like friendlier sites. It took me quite a while of lurking before I finally registered here. To all of you here...I find you friendly and informative. I just wish all sites were as friendly as this one...and hope this one can stay this way.

Now...on to poking those lazy cows...or maybe kicking some chickens...

#22521 10/23/03 11:43 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
will, just checked your bio and see you're a bricklayer. my father in-law was in the trade; retired. he helped me and my wife make brick pillars, walkways and walls. he had two favorite sayings:
site it with two eyes
did this deep to go below the frost line (as he taps his knee).
my wife and i were fit then. moving rock, manually mixing mortar, and pick axing. oh picking out the perfect stones for that wall was.....a chore.
sorry to ramble.
dan

#22522 10/23/03 11:48 PM
veteran
veteran
I am a 4th generation bricklayer. To show the frost we get up here I need to tap my nipples. The sad thing is how out of shape I am...I have been a foreman for several years and recently became a project manager/estimator. I'm 36 and feel like I'm 50. Sitting behind a desk can kill you!

Thanks for the reply Dan...like I said, I like the people on this site!

#22523 10/24/03 01:29 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Willscary, well it is too bad about your misunderstanding about the SPoT. Most of the people who go there find it friendly and the members and I try very much to be friendly and I don’t think that has changed at all even though you may think so based solely on information that may be incomplete for you. I certainly would like you to point out a slew of posts on my part or anyone else’s that would demonstrate that we have suddenly become unfriendly on the SPoT to warrant your comments that we were once a friendly place but now we are not. In addition I was not the one who started the name calling, which was pretty offensive about me. As much as I have apologized, in order to settle this, to anyone who may have been upset at me to cause them to say those things, I have not received any public apologies in return about what was said about me, when it wasn’t warranted.

As much as people say to stop beating the dead horse, and unfortunately I do feel like I am the dead horse here since I am the topic of conversation, it continues to go on and NOT because of me. I didn’t start this thread and I didn’t come on here and start the original one either. Both of which where started as attacks on me. I did come on here, after both threads had gone on for some time without my participation, to try to explain my position since people were totally wrong about their assumptions. So I guess I have to wonder why it is that it is I who is the “unfriendly” one here when all I did was ask some people to try to build the Axiom SPoT and answer questions and not send them away on my own forum. Granted I really should have said it better and not said I was getting a bit “ticked off” about it in part of my post. The irony is the person who I was talking about isn’t anyone who ended up being upset at me and he knew I was talking about him.

I didn’t give anyone the boot and I certainly didn’t ban anyone originally for it until I found out that people here had started a name calling campaign, with me as the intended victim, behind my back. Unfortunatly after I found out about it I failed in my attempt to point out how ugly I felt I was being treated by treating people to a dose of their own medicine and acting like a two-year old Internet Troller. (Hey, it was my Birthday that day and I regressed. ) That I do apologize for, it wasn’t a very good example and my point was lost, but it wasn’t really meant to be mean, but to show what happens when people say whatever they please.

If you want to talk it over feel free to email me and we can talk about it further. But continuing to drag it out here is distracting and frankly has NOTHING to do with Axiom at this point. That goes for anyone else who wants to talk about it. As far as I am concerned I have made up with anyone who was upset at me because I did not explaining the rules on the SPoT better and what I wanted when I made the request of the members to try to build the Axiom SPoT. Again, chalk it up to Internet Chat taken the wrong way.

As long as this conversation continues to go on about the SPoT and I, on a forum run by one of our sponsors, it only compels me to have to come back here and continue to clarify things. It really is starting to turn into an endless debate about one post I made out of 8,700 on the SPoT that was NEVER intended to get people so wound up, that I would take back if I could. It is certainly looking like in some regards as an attempt to damage the relationship that I have with Axiom and I am not sure what people’s motivations are about that. I hope that is not the case.

If politics is like this, remind me to never run for office.

Can we please drop it now or at least close this thread?? I am “Dead” already.

#22524 10/24/03 01:49 AM
veteran
veteran
Huh? I thought I moved past this.

By the way...I was clarifying someone else's "pummeling a previously alive equine" phrase.

#22525 10/24/03 02:21 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Sorry, it was a sum it up post for several comments that were made and not all directed at you. I know you said nothing about the equines. Just trying to make light of everything in general.

I guess the reason for the first part of that post was your reference to the SPoT degenerating into a not so friendly place after being up awhile. I just don't see that and if you do please let me know because I want to look at it and deal with it if that is the case. I don't want anyone beating up on each other on the SPoT. I started it specifically to get away from that.

Anyway the offer still stands if you want to take this into emails then fine.

#22526 10/24/03 07:08 AM
Good suggestion about e-mail, Paul.

My main gripe with this thread from about the bottom of page 2 onward -- with the exception of that nice bricklayer tangent -- is that it is still active. Me, being somewhat obsessive-compulsive can't resist reading every single new post, and am thus forced to endure it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup