Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Axiom speakers to cost 25% more in Canada?
#2266 03/28/02 12:06 PM
old hand
old hand
Alan's post above indicated that the website prices would remain unaffected.

lando
#2267 03/28/02 12:31 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
There is a difference between raising prices all around and raising prices just in Canada. If prices are going up based on a trend you state or if Axiom's overhead is higher than even the internet prices would be going up. From what I have read on this post if it is true, Axiom is making resellers raise their prices to give themselves a more fair advanatage when it comes to selling their product themselves. If people like myself from the US buy from a Canadian reseller instead of buying directly from Axiom it is cutting into their profit. I am sure they are making some profit from when they sell the speakers to the resellers they just don't make all the profit if they sold directly to the US Customers from their website.

#2268 03/28/02 02:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think that Axiom would have to offer lower prices to entice dealers to carry the product. If they had the same prices as the web, what would the return policy be? Who would under right the costs of these returns?

Also, as I am sure most who have followed my posts know, I advocate listening before purchasing. If the return policy was not the same, say better online, I can envision people listening at the dealers, and buying online. This is not a new phenomena, as everyone will seek a better deal. If you spent your time at dealer A, and then found you can get a better deal (on any item or clause in the deal for that item) you naturally will be attracted. While this may not affect low-mod fi dealers who are not equipped to help you make informed choices, those dealers who are in this realm can, will and have suffered.

However, I have yet to find a quality hifi dealer carrying this line.....

#2269 03/28/02 03:12 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
BBIH,

Don't take it as I am trying to hammer Axiom Audio. They have every right to raise their prices it is the capitalistic way. I always shop around to find the best prices. That is why I use companies to price match to my advantage. I also use the internet as my advantage. If I can find a product on the internet that will cost me less to have it shipped without paying taxes I will do it anyday. Another example is that I love to eat at the little hole in the wall shops. Usually the food is better than a chain restaurant. Usually the prices are better in the hole in the wall so tell me would you rather pay high prices for lower quality food or go to a no name place and buy a better product. Another example is BOSE. I know a lot of people don't like the sound of Bose. I think it is OK at best, but the prices or outrageous for what you get. Would I rather buy a named product just so I can show off or buy a no name speaker product that puts out sound that makes everyone say DAMN those are some great sounding speakers who makes those. I work with someone who laughed at me for buying Axiom but I was laughing last when he came over to my house to listen to them. Last I live in the deep South (Alabama) and I can not find anyone around here that has heard of Axiom. I think it would be great if Axiom products were caried down here.

#2270 03/28/02 03:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Damn, that's a bad news. I already got 2 days off next week to visit Canada and get an Axiom set. But if the prices will jump over the Paradigm, I'll get the dimes for sure.

#2271 03/28/02 03:37 PM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
I'm not sure if everybody has the correct interpretation of what's going on. The way I see it, all the policy means is that (for example), Audioshop cannot LIST Axiom speakers for less than the price on the Axiom website.

Does this mean there's no advantage or potential savings to buying from a reseller? Very doubtful. Unless Axiom starts pricing speakers with a "manufacturer's minimum retail price" (I can't remember the acronym), you're still likely to get a deal from going to a store. I can't imagine any retailer not giving a deal on home electronics off the list price...no store would stay in business like that.

What Axiom appears to be doing is ensuring that they are the primary sellers of speakers over the net, or at least that there is no major incentive to buy from other web sites. This makes good business sense, particularly for the American market, and really doesn't penalize the consumer who shops at brick-and-mortar stores. Audioshop may very well lose a lot of sales over the net, but even that isn't a guarantee since most people seem to think Marc Hallam provides excellent service. In fact, there still isn't anything to prevent Audioshop from selling Axiom speakers on the net for less...Hallam just can't adverise that he's doing it.

This is probably much less of a deal than we're making of it.

Last edited by fhw; 03/28/02 03:40 PM.
#2272 03/28/02 05:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No, I did not take your comments that way, and did not intend to infer anything. The comments were general in nature, as many have opinions on this tactic by Axiom.

I agree with almost all of your sentiments beyond that. I would also think Axiom would like feedback, and may take into account user feedback. I am not in anyway associated with them, other than owning a pair of their speakers. I am not sure their methods for user focus groups to determine "go to market strategies"...other than this board. If that is the extent of the input user have on the products, it would be a tragic approach.

So, to sum up...hammer away!!!

#2273 03/28/02 09:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I did not expect my original post to generate so much discussion...but I'm glad it did!

Axiom speakers shall remain good value speakers in Canada, even with the moderate price increase. But I would hardly call them outstanding values, once the price increase goes into effect. And that is precisely my point, and which the preceding American commentator alluded to: Canada is home to many excellent, world-reknown speaker companies -- Paradigm, Energy, PSB, Mirage, Axiom, Sound Dynamics, Dalquist, Totem, etc., etc., etc., -- ALL of which products can be purchased for substantially less in Canada than state-side. In the very competitive Canadian market, Axiom speakers ruled, IMO. However, with the expected price increase, many people will now seriously look to other companies that may provide better value. This is something that I feel the company ought to seriously consider before implementing a pricing policy (without adding extra value) that makes its products less desirable in this highly competitive and value-oriented Canadian market. It may even result in some dealers deciding to drop the Axiom line altogether in favor of another company that can provide their customers with the best value for their hard-earned money. Just some thoughts.

...Let the discussions continue.

#2274 03/29/02 01:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you think REPLAY in Etobicoke will be raising their prices as well? I ask this because I've heard they sell factory blemished speakers.

Cheers

#2275 03/29/02 04:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have no insight as to the strategy of any dealer or distributor carrying the Axiom line.

I would suggest you call them directly and ask.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters