Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Vote!
Ajax #228528 11/05/08 03:48 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
disgusting tactic of candidates, and their supporters, devoting most of their time to telling us why we shouldn't vote for the other guy, rather than telling us why we should vote for them.
If it is any consolation, that is pretty much the way it goes up here as well. I think that is why there is so little voter turnout. All the advertising does nothing to improve the party's image and inform the voter, but it does turn the voters off of ever wanting to vote. I will give Kudos to Jack Layton for at least trying to get some info out and stop dragging the others through the mud during the last week of our election campaign up here, but it was too little, way too late.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #228530 11/05/08 04:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I heard someone won the lottery last night

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #228533 11/05/08 04:31 PM
J
J
I wish it was me.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
myrison #228536 11/05/08 04:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Quote:
... they asked me whether I wanted electronic or paper... I figured electronic would be faster, so I chose that... WRONG.

When I got to the machine (the one and only), I found to my surprise, it was not turned on.

Being a software developer myself I chose paper ballot, of course. :-)
But I had a similar experience at my polling place; there was only one electronic voting machine with a line of about ten to fifteen people. I almost walked back to tell the volunteers why they are still giving the choice of a electronic ballot if there's only one very crowded machine.

Last edited by JaimeG; 11/05/08 04:36 PM.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
Ajax #228541 11/05/08 05:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
I am so sick of the length of the campaigns, due mainly to the disgusting tactic of candidates, and their supporters, devoting most of their time to telling us why we shouldn't vote for the other guy, rather than telling us why we should vote for them. This year it reached a new low by actually attempting to demonize the other guy with half truths, innuendo, and flat out lies, and I'm not referring to just the Presidential candidates. I'm sick and ashamed of it. YMMV.

I was comparing this voting "season" (which IS too long for my tastes) to those "I'm a Mac. And I'm a PC." ads.

I am not a Mac guy at all, but I really find those ads entertaining. They are very slick advertising and whomever came up with them should be congratulated, I guess. But they never really tell you how a Mac is better than a PC. They are just pointing out half truths and slinging mud about the PC world (right now bashing Vista for all of its "issues", yet I have the most *volitile* version and have ZERO problems). Both sides of the campaign did this mud-slinging and half truths. Obama's marketing team just did a lot "slicker" job of it. Of course, the Democratic party can sure pick some very "eloquent" speaking candidates, so that helps.

Heck, even big time Bush tormentor Frank Caliendo (who I find very funny) did a Clinton impression where he just finished picking on Bush, and then said something like:

"Bill Clinton is smooooth... If Bill Clinton were here, he could stand right here on stage, in front of all of you and say quite plainly, 'I am not here.' and you'd believe him."

Maybe the Republican party can work on some speaking lessons and find a younger, better looking person next time around. While I know that didn't decide the vote for most, I did read a poll where some people stated that they just couldn't stand to look at "another old man" as president. It just shows how important looks play into something like this, just like it does in non-political areas.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #228544 11/05/08 06:03 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I blame the lack of support of the "The Plumbers"... and the hockey dads... where were they? And the Maverick vote...

- stolen from Stephen Colbert -

Bren R.

nickbuol #228547 11/05/08 06:13 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Quote:
Maybe the Republican party can work on some speaking lessons and find a younger, better looking person next time around.

They tried that w/ Palin , didn't work this time.

Quote:

I did read a poll where some people stated that they just couldn't stand to look at "another old man" as president. It just shows how important looks play into something like this, just like it does in non-political areas.

I don't know what poll you referring to, but I'm positive that "I couldn't stand to look at 'another old man'" is just a coarse way of expressing that McCain simply represented old ideas that are not appealing to most of the American people anymore .... maybe I'm just too optimistic. I think looks may play a role when there's little substance behind a candidate however when there's substance, looks play almost no role at all.

Last edited by JaimeG; 11/05/08 06:18 PM.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #228550 11/05/08 06:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with those who express dismay with the direction political campaigning has taken Some of that slinging has always taken place but it sure has gotten worse over the years.

At the very beginning of McCain's consession speach when his supporters started the booing bit, I saw a look on McCain's face that I thought reflected this sentiment as well. It seemed to say "I've had enough of this". Maybe I was just imagining things.

I think that both candidates in this election are cut from a different cloth than the Bush conservatives and I see that as a good thing.

My biggest dissapointment is reserved for the press. As a group, they have turned into a bunch of unthinking note takers only to happy to spread the most popular fud.

Last edited by fredk; 11/05/08 06:37 PM. Reason: to make more sense?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
nickbuol #228551 11/05/08 06:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: nickbuol
Both sides of the campaign did this mud-slinging and half truths.

Agree completely. My criticism was totally bipartisan in nature. Maybe we can pass a law which stipulates that a candidate and/or their supporters are not allowed to mention the other candidate. "Just tell us why we ought to vote for YOU, Mr./Ms. candidate."

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
fredk #228553 11/05/08 06:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: fredk
At the very beginning of McCain's consession speach when his supporters started the booing bit, I saw a look on McCain's face that I thought reflected this sentiment as well. It seemed to say "I've had enough of this". Maybe I was just imagining things.

Well, if you were imagining things, I was imagining the same thing. I think it's safe to say he wasn't pleased with that reaction. Neither was I.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082