Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Audyssey set up thread
demetman #228442 11/04/08 11:09 PM
local
local
 Originally Posted By: demetman
Ok, I found that I had selected AUX1 and after selecting MIC in the menu I was able to run Audyssey. I am very happy with the results and my Axiom system sounds amazing now! Not that they didn't sound good before calibration, it all just blends so well now. The only thing that looks strange is the 23.1ft distance that Audyssey calculated my sub to. The sub is only 12ft from the reciever and 6ft from the main listening position. It is firing into the rear right corner so maybe boundary effect is playing a roll in Audyssey calculations? It also set the sub channel level to -12dB. My crosover settings are center channel 60Hz, suround A(QS8) 120Hz and nothing listed for fronts. In the menu it says advanced for fronts. M60's were set to large and VP150 and QS8's were set to small. Please let me know if these settings look ok. I apologise for jumping right in on this thread I didn't want to start 50,000 different threads with question all over the place. I know I'll have many more questions to ask. Thanks for all the help.

Since your sub level is -12, you should turn the gain on down and try again. The goal is to get less than -12 (since that is the max).

terzaghi #228474 11/05/08 03:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I will try to re-run audessey following the suggested procedures and see what I think...

If I like the results I may buy the $100 upgrade and re-run it.

That's my current plan as well. I ran the firmware upgrade today to get me to the point where I can actually buy the upgrade if I want to, so now I just need to recalibrate.

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
dewd #228489 11/05/08 05:38 AM
D
old hand
old hand
D
dewd, I am trying to understand your suggestion. I prepared the sub for Audyssey by turning the volume to the 12 oclock position, defeated the crossover and set the phase to 0 as the manual requires. Before Audyssey the sub had very little impact on the sound even if I turned the sub volume up to max. After running Audyssey the sub adds a significant impact to the sound and blends very well with the M60's. I was under the impression that after running Audyssey the volume or gain control should not be touched and changes should be made through the reciever only. Please correct me if the info is incorrect. I even went to the sub setting in the reciever and selected +5dB istead of 0dB with a little bump in LFE. So far Audyssey has enhanced the sound of my system tremendously for both music and HT. Let me know what you guys think about the settings.

Demetrios
demetman #228559 11/05/08 07:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I even went to the sub setting in the reciever and selected +5dB istead of 0dB with a little bump in LFE. So far Audyssey has enhanced the sound of my system tremendously for both music and HT. Let me know what you guys think about the settings.

I believe what Dewd was referring to was that the first time, you said Audyssey set your sub at -12, which is sub-optimal. In your last post though, you said it set it at 0, which is more normal. From there you absolutely can adjust up or down as you prefer the sound. However, if you start at -12, you are limited by the fact that you can only turn the volume up, not down. For this reason, dewd was suggesting that you turn the gain on the sub down and rerun Audyssey (so that the natural setting from Audyssey would be something closer to zero - which it now appears to be).

Jason

myrison #228606 11/05/08 09:54 PM
D
old hand
old hand
D
Hi myrison, I'm still confused with the Audyssey settings. Perhaps I did not explain things clear enough. I just went into my reciever settings and documented what I am trying to convey. Sorry for the confusion.

When I go to AUTO SETUP-PARAMETER CHECK-CHANNEL LEVEL CHECK and check all the speaker levels the sub is set to -12dB by Audyssey. My other speaker levels are FL+5.5dB, FR+5dB, C+0.5dB and sub-12dB. These are Audyssey setting right?

When I said "I selected +5dB istead of 0dB in the reciever what I was refering to was going into AUDIO SETUP-EXT.1-SUBWOOFER LEVEL then selecting +5dB from options of 0dB,+5dB,+10dB,&+15dB.

What is not clear to me is that you say I can not turn the sub down, only up. How does one control the subwoofer output from the reciever(3808). Are you suggesting I turn the volume(gain)knob on the sub from 12 to 9 oclock and rerun Audyssey to see if it calibrates my sub closer to 0dB? Thanks for your suggestions.

Demetrios
demetman #228610 11/05/08 10:12 PM
J
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
shareholder in the making
J
When I go to AUTO SETUP-PARAMETER CHECK-CHANNEL LEVEL CHECK and check all the speaker levels the sub is set to -12dB by Audyssey. My other speaker levels are FL+5.5dB, FR+5dB, C+0.5dB and sub-12dB. These are Audyssey setting right?
yes this is what Audyssey set them to.

Quote:
When I said "I selected +5dB istead of 0dB in the reciever what I was refering to was going into AUDIO SETUP-EXT.1-SUBWOOFER LEVEL then selecting +5dB from options of 0dB,+5dB,+10dB,&+15dB.
this is the external subwoofer in for the analog inputs on the back of the receiver, unless you are using this ext. input it is doing nothing.

Quote:
What is not clear to me is that you say I can not turn the sub down, only up. How does one control the subwoofer output from the reciever(3808).
While listening to music, not with the NET/USB input, you can set your speaker levels by pushing the center button on the remote, this brings up the speaker levels and you can now bring the sub levels up or down.
 Quote:
Are you suggesting I turn the volume(gain)knob on the sub from 12 to 9 oclock and rerun Audyssey to see if it calibrates my sub closer to 0dB? Thanks for your suggestions.
Yes.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #228622 11/06/08 12:33 AM
D
old hand
old hand
D
Thanks for breaking it down in an elementary manner jakewash. I understand that Audyssey compensated for the signal being to strong from the sub and set the level to -12dB. The goal is to be around 0dB so the level can be adjusted up and down. The 3808 is an extremely technologically advanced piece of equipment and learning it's features has proven to be a challenge. I guess I should have choosen a more simplistic reciever for my 1st HT project. Live and learn!

Demetrios
jakewash #228623 11/06/08 12:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Well, I got a chance to rerun Audyssey and I'm happy with the results so far. The main changes I made to the setup where that I used a tripod, and I didn't sit the Audyssey mic on my sofa which is against the sidewall because of possible reflections which would give me undesirable results and the sofa is "outside" the location of my right channel. I adhered to the suggested listening points in the setup from AVS, and started with my subwoofer volume at 9 o'clock. I did find that under "stereo mode" my front l/r speakers were set to large and without a subwoofer which I switched accordingly.

Next I will check the crossover settings for each individual speaker (which I looked for but couldn't find) and post my results to see what you guys think.

Thanks for all your help, it's greatly appreciated.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
demetman #228628 11/06/08 01:07 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
Thanks for breaking it down in an elementary manner jakewash. I understand that Audyssey compensated for the signal being to strong from the sub and set the level to -12dB. The goal is to be around 0dB so the level can be adjusted up and down. The 3808 is an extremely technologically advanced piece of equipment and learning it's features has proven to be a challenge. I guess I should have choosen a more simplistic reciever for my 1st HT project. Live and learn!

Think of it this way. The high and low for Audyssey to play with is -12dB to +12 dB. So if you are at the lowest setting, it can't go any lower. What if it *had* to go lower to give you the best response? Since Audyssey is as the speed limit already, it can't go any higher (or lower in you case).

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Hansang #228673 11/06/08 04:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
After dishing out advice here left and right, I just about made myself totally NUTS tonight after rerunning Audyssey in my own room.

I followed the steps in the document, took readings from 8 listening positions, etc, and then popped in the Dave Matthews Band Blu-Ray which is one of my favorites.

I started with Audyssey on and immediately found that it sounded awful (literally awful, not just bad). So, then I turned Audyssey off, and to my chagrin, it sounded exactly the same. Ack! So, I went back, checked crossover settings (again), speaker sizes (again), binding posts, everything I could think of. I even unplugged and replugged both the Denon & the PS3.

All to no avail... Here's where I skip a lot of cursing and additional screwing around and cut to the solution.

Last night, I watched a movie on the PS3 but did not have the remote control (my wife was using the URC in the next room), so all I had was the PS3 controller. Using a menu in DVD playback in the PS3, you can turn the volume up and down through the PS3 (-2 through +2). Well, I had it up to +2 from the night before and didn't realize what an _awful_ (again that word) effect it has on the overall sound. Once I finally found out what was wrong, I turned it down to the original 0 setting and decided I'd had enough screwing around for one night.

I'm going to bed and will compare Audyssey on and off in the morning when I've recovered. \:\) Right now I still feel like I'm hearing the harshness from the pre-correction listening and I need to get it out of my head.

It was a truly scary 60 minutes while I couldn't get anything but totally crappy sound to come out of my Epic 80 setup! \:o

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020