Originally Posted By: myrison
Please remind me the difference between the Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume control? Or are they one in the same?

I took the time to answer my own question. For anyone else wondering...

Quote:
Audyssey Dynamic EQ™ solves the problem of deteriorating sound quality as volume is decreased by taking into account human perception and room acoustics. Dynamic EQ selects the correct frequency response and surround levels moment-by-moment at any user-selected volume setting. The result is bass response, tonal balance, and surround impression that remain constant despite changes in volume. Dynamic EQ combines information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a prerequisite for delivering a loudness correction solution. Audyssey Dynamic EQ works in tandem with Audyssey MultEQ XT to provide well-balanced sound for every listener at any volume level.

Audyssey Dynamic Volume™ solves the problem of large variations
in volume level between television programs, commercials, and
between the soft and loud passages of movies.
Dynamic Volume looks at the preferred volume setting by the user and
then monitors how the volume of program material is being perceived
by listeners in real time to decide whether an adjustment is needed.
Whenever necessary, Dynamic Volume makes the necessary rapid
or gradual adjustments to maintain the desired playback volume
level while optimizing the dynamic range. Audyssey Dynamic EQ is
integrated into Dynamic Volume so that as the playback volume is
adjusted automatically, the perceived bass response, tonal balance,
surround impression, and dialog clarity remain the same whether
watching movies, flipping between television channels, or changing
from stereo to surround sound content.

I'm curious whether I would use these new features given that now, even after rerunning Audyssey with the tips document Jay posted, I still prefer the sound with Audyssey off. The Audyssey sound is MUCH better now than it was before I used all of the instructions in that document, but I still find the bass response to be attenuated more than I like when using Audyssey (which maybe is the way it "should" sound, but not my preference).

If I remember right, those here who purchased the upgrades felt Audyssey sounded better after the upgrade with these features turned on, so it could be that I'd be in the same boat. If anyone who purchased the upgrades felt this way before the upgrade, please let me know as it'll make me feel better about sinking the $100 into the upgrade.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry