Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Anyone have a Harmony One remote?
Joe_in_SC #238042 01/04/09 05:47 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
\:D Glad to hear it, again make sure to be lifting with one hand and then the other to keep symmetry up.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
sonicfox #239556 01/11/09 04:15 PM
local
local
 Originally Posted By: sonicfox
I just recently got a Harmony One as well. I went from the MX700 to this and I can tell you that the Harmony is SO much easier to program...Also, it doesn't seem as fast...

I had an MX700 for years and also upgraded to a Harmony One. IMO there are significant pros/cons each way.

I don't like how slow and laggy the Harmony One is. I've experimented with all the delay settings, but it's still sluggish. Long term, the buttons aren't as comfortable as the MX700.

OTOH the Harmony One is much easier to program, especially the initial setup. However I think Universal now has better programmer tools than the MX Editor program used on the MX700.

The Harmony One charging cradle is well designed. The motion-sensitive power up is nice. Their device code list is extensive. It's the only remote I've ever used with enough accurate codes to operate a fairly complex HT system with no custom programming.

While the INITIAL Harmony programming is easy, advanced work requires a fair amount of tweaking. The Harmony system invisibly does things "under the covers" to try and offload programming complexity. This is fine to a point, but for detailed work I often wonder "why did it do that?". By contrast Universal's macro-oriented approach only does what you tell it.

The Harmony system encourages (virtually forces) you into their "activity-based" approach. This is fine for some things but not others.

It's like a car with an automatic transmission vs manual transmission. Automatics are getting better all the time, and the Harmony is like an excellent automatic. Unfortunately I prefer manuals.

My wife likes the Harmony One so I'll keep using it. If I could do it over, I'd probably pick an updated Universal Remote for the faster performance and more manual, macro-oriented programming style.

joema #239610 01/11/09 10:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have similar feelings about my Harmony 890. Love the remote, especially the IR/RF functions, but wish they would take the child locks off and let me open it up a bit. Worth the trade off. My last remote was a Pronto Neo and it was great for tweaking, but a bit of beta test product in the long run.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
joema #239661 01/12/09 01:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Joe - thanks for the informative reply. I've got the MX-800 remote and was wondering how it stacks up to the Harmony One. Your note gives a very good perspective. Given how much time I've spent getting this one to work like I want it to, it doesn't sound like there is any huge benefit to making the switch.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #239760 01/12/09 03:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good comments above.
I agree. If I have a non-technical friend, I advise going with a Harmony. They can do wonders for people struggling with multiple remote systems. If they are technical and will eventually want to tweak everything, the Universal remotes definitely have the advantage. You can make things work the way YOU want them to. As long as you are willing to put a good bit off time into them.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #239770 01/12/09 04:19 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
I'm fairly technical (well, that's putting it mildly I suppose) but I have never programmed a remote in my life - other than punching in the codes on the cable remotes.

When I first held the URC MX900 (in my hands), it felt like a nice remote. It just felt very nice in my hands (no wise cracks from the peanut gallery please).

The MX900 programming software has drag and drop capabilities, ability to test things prior to downloading to the remote etc. I was up and running in a very short amount of time.

I have the Harmony 890 as well. The button layout - to me - was engineered by someone who obviously never used it. They let marketing dictate the design spec, that's the best way I can describe it. It looks nice, but ....

If I have to recommend a remote to someone who can't connect a DVD to a receiver, I recommend the Harmony. To anyone else, I recommend the URC. The ability to do whatever I want (turn on sub titles, change the aspect ration etc) is too much for me to give up.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
nickbuol #250161 03/04/09 04:29 PM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: nickbuol
I looked at the popular 880, and then that lead me to the newer 720, but I wasn't fond of the reports that they don't sit in their charging docks worth a darn, and that the paint on higher usage buttons comes off.

2 friends of mine have the Harmony 880. It doesn't sit in the cradle as well as you would like. I personally do not like the ergonomics and look of the remote.

I have the Harmony 720. It sits in the cradle very well.

I bought the 2 Harmony One's, 1 for my brother and 1 for my parents, for Christmas. It is a very nice remote. It sits in the cradle very well. It is a nice combination of touch screen and hard buttons. Combine that with the icons you can get from http://www.iconharmony.com and this remote looks great. Only major drawback is the lack of RF control. If this is not an issue for you, the Harmony One is a great choice.

If you need RF, I would recommend a URC remote. Check out http://www.remotecentral.com if you need any help with anything.

Shag
shag #250165 03/04/09 05:09 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
I've never had any cradle issues with the 880 and I've had mine for 1.5 years. All of the buttons look as good as new as well. I use the remote lots and really enjoy it.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
HAY #250183 03/04/09 06:38 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
if you google for 880 or 890, you'll get a lot of hits about the base going bad (not the battery). So apparently, my HT reseller was right. He mentioned that he had a rash of Harmony's that went bad on his customers and now refuses to sell them. I have the 890 and URC MX900 and for me, URC is *VASTLY* superior. However, 890 is *MUCH* easier to program. If you don't do anything fancy, Harmony may be the way to go. If you are slightly technical, URC is the way to go. Anyone that can use Excel or Word should be able to figure out how to program URC remotes.

BTW, having looked at Harmony One's physical layout, I'm glad Logitech decided to replace the idiotic buttons on the 880/90. Those buttons are annoying hard to find and press.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
HAY #250217 03/04/09 08:54 PM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: HAY
I've never had any cradle issues with the 880 and I've had mine for 1.5 years. All of the buttons look as good as new as well. I use the remote lots and really enjoy it.

The 880 sits in it's cradle ok. My 2 friends haven't had issues with their cradle either.

Now compare it to how the Harmony One sits in it's cradle and it is a big difference. The Harmony one sits very snug and would not be jarred loose even if you bumped into it. I believe most complaints were of this nature as well as the contact points not charging the remote correctly.

Shag
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup