Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Anyone have a Harmony One remote?
shag #250235 03/04/09 09:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I may be in the market for a Harmony One. I'm definitely a Harmony fan, as far back as the 768 which wasn't very good. Nice attempt though. It had the clicking scroll wheel. Man, is that a Canadian thing? It started on the Blackberry too.

My son dropped my 2nd 880 for the last time yesterday. The screen is toast but everything else works. I would live w/ it but I can't see the other activities/devices.

I'm tempted to buy it at Best Buy since I have a $50 GC. But Amazon has it for $50 less. I'm hoping to walk into BB soon and just 'convince' a manager to price match and sell it to me... Though I'm not hopeful.

oldskoolboarder #250245 03/04/09 11:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Have you checked Circuit City? They are going out of business and marking down all their items. The circuit city nearest me was selling the Harmony One for $150.

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

Ken.C #250251 03/04/09 11:52 PM
devotee
devotee
I have the 880, but my experience with mine wasn't very good. Like the OP mentioned, I had a real hard time getting on its charging stand and the screen suffered from burn it from it. (like it'd keep falling on and off the charge stand which would keep lighting up the screen) As a remote it worked ok, but if you don't build yourself short cuts the deeper options on each device usually mean scrolling through pages of menus to find something simple (like the tv sleep timer).

StuntGibbon #250301 03/05/09 12:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I bought the 880 last year about this time. It is my first universal remote - I would not describe myself as technical. The vast majority of people that I know are like me as far as technicality - so to speak. I highly recommend the Harmony philosphy for them - I have some older components all of which were in the Harmony Database. I had the remote up and running in 30 minutes. It is the ONLY piece of my system to have ever gleaned any accolades from my wife. For that reason alone, it is one of my favorite components. Having said that, I might find another layout more user friendly? I had problems with the remote seating and charging properly. I contacted Harmony and they sent a brand new one at no charge. All I had to do was fill out a form that asked questions about the behavior of the remote as it related to charging. I considered it to be excellent customer service and I have not had any further problems..........Rob

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #250667 03/07/09 05:26 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
What's funny is that I finally got around to mounting the 40" LCD in our bedroom. So I resigned myself to using the cable provided remote. But having gotten used to MX900 remote down stairs EVERYONE started complaining how bad the remote upstairs was. So I dug out the Harmony 890 from storage, ordered a new set of batteries and hooked it up again.

It's much better than the stock remote that came with the cable STB (made by URC ironically) but it still is MUCH inferior (IMHO) to the URC remote. Even my wife and kids said "it's better, but it's not like the downstairs one!"

The one thing I realized is that remote is the ONE PIECE of home theater that you use the most. So don't skimp!!

And WHO IN THE HELL at Logitech decided that IR flasher cables should be joined near the end? (they are dual headed) I had to run another dual flasher to the TV because of the stupid mold at near the end that joins the two heads together (one cable with dual heads can't reach the TV and the STB - it's too far apart). idiotic!

Last edited by Hansang; 03/07/09 05:27 AM.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Hansang #250764 03/07/09 10:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've had my Harmony 1000 for a couple years now and I just recently (Monday)got the RF receiver. Yesterday I was sitting in my living room and all of a sudden the remote started my CD player (it was on pause) and turn the volume up. By the time I got a chance to stop the CD player, the Denon volume was at 40; yes it was unbelievably loud.

I called Logitech regarding this and the customer service representative said that he has heard of this happening at least one other time. I voice my displeasure, and told him that if there is anything wrong with my M80s, they are paying for any repairs.

Now I have to listen for any distortion, but it's really hard because in the back of my mind I'm constantly thinking/worrying that they got damaged. When it was playing that loud, it was playing a burnt CD and the audio sounded very bad.

Any suggestions? I told Logitech that if the speakers had to be returned to be tested to make sure they're okay, that they are paying for the shipping. I can't imagine being without them for a couple weeks, but what do you guys think would be the best route?

Thanks.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #250777 03/07/09 11:50 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Great question, Alan has assured me that the M80s are nearly impervious to abuse; however, I have a pretty big room and like loud sound, just yesterday I heard a pop or two through the M80s but as always, there never seems to be any permanent or persistent damage, much less lingering distortion.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
Ya_basta #250779 03/07/09 11:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Before you do anything, Cam, I would get Alan's opinion on this. Clearly this is Logitechs fault...what kind of warranty does the Harmony have? Did it hit 40 quickly before you were able to turn the CD off or was it slowly/prolonged?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
oldskoolboarder #250813 03/08/09 03:47 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
I may be in the market for a Harmony One. I'm definitely a Harmony fan, as far back as the 768 which wasn't very good. Nice attempt though. It had the clicking scroll wheel. Man, is that a Canadian thing? It started on the Blackberry too.

My son dropped my 2nd 880 for the last time yesterday. The screen is toast but everything else works. I would live w/ it but I can't see the other activities/devices.

I'm tempted to buy it at Best Buy since I have a $50 GC. But Amazon has it for $50 less. I'm hoping to walk into BB soon and just 'convince' a manager to price match and sell it to me... Though I'm not hopeful.

Sorry, I meant to say my 688. I'm trying to bid on ebay for a used one under $50. I know the One is probably a little nicer but I'm so used to the 688. AND, it's the only Harmony I've used (I'm sure the are others) that have hard Picture and Sound buttons.

oldskoolboarder #250828 03/08/09 06:06 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
wheelz999,
When I got my URC's MX900 and MRF350 (the RF base), it had an RF sniffer mode. I had to run around all over the living room to find a decent spot that didn't have has much RF interference. In the end, it ended up on top of my closet covered with a Frisbee! That's what it took to quite down the RF. It's very possible that you're getting so much interference that it cranked up your volume. I'm not sure if interference can do that or not, but it's something to check out.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082