Page 1 of 2 1 2
Whats the best gaming choice
#231829 11/27/08 06:55 PM
dsbad Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Happy Thanksgiving to all,

I think I am finally ready to buy a gaming console and have no clue between Xbox or Wii or PS3. The only thought I have is that with a PS3 I will have a blu ray player also.

If this has already been discussed on some other thread please just post the link.

Thank you all in advance

Sam

Denon 3808-M80s-VP150-QS4s-EP350v3

Re: Whats the best gaming choice
dsbad #231830 11/27/08 06:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I get a lot of use out of my PS3 with gaming and Blu-ray. I haven't really touched my Xbox in a while. I find the Wii fun with other people to play with. As a solo gaming system it doesn't hold as much appeal as the other two.

My vote is for the PS3. It's a really good Blu-ray player. Does your receiver have an HDMI input?

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #231831 11/27/08 07:07 PM
dsbad Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yes my receiver does have HDMI input. Thanks for the vote.

dsbad #231832 11/27/08 07:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just wanted to add that the Xbox is a very good gaming system. I haven't played mine in a long while because last Christmas mine developed problems and I ended up waiting months for the local Best Buys to restock it. Tired of waiting, I picked up the PS3 and have pretty much used it since. I'll get back to the Xbox--still have a few games I need to finish for it.

Either way, good deals can be found this weekend on any of those systems. Good luck!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #231833 11/27/08 07:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
For pure gaming I would say the Xbox 360, all around I would go with the PS3, it's a great Blu-ray player and more reliable than the 360, eventually the PS3 may catch the 360 as far as game content.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #231834 11/27/08 08:03 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I still do most of my gaming on the 360, but now I do tons of Blu-ray viewing on the PS3. I still barely use the PS3 for games, but more games are starting to come out for it that I would play. I played the Wii a little at first, but it didn't keep my attention. I think if you always have groups playing, the Wii would be a great value, but for gamers like me who prefer single-player games, it's the 360 or PS3, with the advantage going to the 360 for its larger software library. The good thing about the PS3 is it's a lot more reliable. I've suffered the RRoD (Red Ring of Death) on my 360, and my sister also got one on the one I gave her. Definitely a design flaw, and they've supposedly adjusted their production, but it's still hard to know if they really fixed it or not. I mean, you're covered for 3 years as long as you get the RRoD, but if you have some other kind of hardware failure, you're only covered for a year (that's right, isn't it?).

CV #231835 11/27/08 08:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Charles, I believe you are right about the one year, I'm not sure if the new 360's suffer from the same problems. I bought the 360 when it was first released and had the rings of death after about a year, they fixed it and I've never had a problem since.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #231838 11/27/08 08:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
My brother asked me the same question about a week ago. Basically, Homedad's answer summed up my own.

I wasn't sure about the 'current' state of the 360's reliability issues but after a lot of scanning of newsgroups, the 360 is much improved but still appears to be much more likely to have reliability problems than a PS3. Cooling can still be a factor with the 360 as well. The PS3 seems much more solid from the number of supporting comments out there.

General consensus was also that 360 has more, maybe even better, games but also the trend is shifting more towards having most games, except for a Console's 'trademark' games, coming out in multi-platform now.

PS3 with Bluray can be a huge factor for you or a total non-issue, depending on your intended use. Both can stream music & video and have access to downloadable games, TV and movies. XBox has the very popular Netflix service, unless you are in Canada.

The Wii has a very high novelty factor with it's movement sensitive controllers and the best price point. However, the graphics are VERY weak compared to the other two big choices and games are therefore purposefully "cartoony" as they can't develop for realism. I's lower processing power keeps the games more simplistic and some claim the novelty of the motion involvement wears out quickly as the games don't have the depth to go along with it. Others claim it's addictive. Again, probably a personal preference.

That being said, RockBand and Guitar Hero are no longer missing donwload functionality on the Wii anymore and Mario Cart is a super inexpensive way to get into a driving wheel and a genuinely fun game. And of course there is always the beckoning hope that eventually they will really come out with a Starwars game using Lightsaber controllers.

I personally went with the PS3 because of Bluray as I am a realy just casual console gamer (Ok, I admit I do play a fair bit of Rockband). Therefore the reliability, Blueray and it's at least equal ability to stream from my PC's music library were my main value factors. If I was a more active gamer, it might have been a more difficult decision.

Hope that helps.

Oh and also, I hear the Wii is already almost impossible to find around here this Christmas season. Not sure how far out that extends.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #231848 11/27/08 09:16 PM
devotee
devotee
Without giving us preferences of the styles of games you like, it's hard to give you a definitive answer. My work is in games, so I tend to always have all of them around. I play games the most on the Xbox 360, but use the PS3 the most for watching films. (the obvious BRD player, but also not a bad dvd upscaler)

Murph #231854 11/27/08 09:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Murph
And of course there is always the beckoning hope that eventually they will really come out with a Starwars game using Lightsaber controllers.

It's already here , and so are the Lightsabers. This website definitely won't help those with addictions to the wii, and I'm one of them. It's one heck of a lot of fun, and it's the only gaming console that I can successfully play a couple games on.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,000 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup