Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Speaker cable
#23228 10/27/03 01:01 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

I don't think it's the discussion which reaches the same "ugly" level, it's the same ugly people who invariably bring the discussion down to their level

Sorry for being one of the 'ugly people' .

#23229 10/27/03 01:06 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
DJ, just read through the rest of the thread, and note that there was nothing arrogant, intolerant or ugly about the way you express your opinions.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#23230 10/27/03 01:28 AM
Josh784 Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
For now I'm just going to use budget cable, but once I get a bit more money, is Monster Cable pretty good, and would it be worth the investment?

Thanks,
Josh

#23231 10/27/03 01:37 AM
shareholder in the making
Yes Josh, monster cable is pretty good, just as good as lamp cord, and no, since it can't be any better it isn't worth spending more.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#23232 10/27/03 01:53 AM
Josh784 Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Where would be a good place to buy cable on the internet?

Thanks,

Josh

#23233 10/27/03 02:02 AM
Josh, since you've already got a lot more speaker wire than you'll need for your M2s, I assume that you're thinking of the sub cable or other interconnecting cables. Two reasonably priced sources are Parts Express and Pacific Cable.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#23234 10/27/03 04:50 AM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

it can still pull over 115 dB at 20 Hz in (small) room with corner placement.

117 dB at 20 Hz at listening position about 3.5 feet away to be exact. I didn't max out my sub all the way, but I didn't want to push it any harder because I don't want to accidentally break it just to see its limits; but it was using a lot of excursion.

#23235 10/27/03 04:55 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Personally, I've almost had it with the arrogant and insulting tone of the 'usual suspects' here. It's a disgrace - and makes the Axiom website a much less hospitable a place for folks to drop by and discuss audio matters and questions in a friendly and open manner.

And once again 2x6spds slings his subtle mud, the pot calling the kettle black.
Your statements are brutally full of hypocrisy.
You are anything but innocent in ticking ppl off in this forum buddy and you have built your own stock of 'adversaries' quite nicely.
I believe not long ago Semi had pegged you with a more proper title that is befitting of your true colours with which I am in complete agreement.

Go ahead and continue to try and impress those that haven't known your posting style and true character for as long a period as some others.
Your pathetic facade is a real cry for mental help.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#23236 10/27/03 05:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Josh, I'd go to partsexpress.com for their Dayton subwoofer cable and interconnects. If you can find Tara Labs Prism 300's, they're well made and inexpensive. Another good deal for well reviewed interconnects are the AR cables which you can get at Best Buy or Good Guys, don't remember which, maybe both. You may be able to find a good price doing a google search. Good luck with your new system!!

Enjoy the music.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#23237 10/27/03 05:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

But why even risk it - or use a cable that will only have a limited number of times you can put it in and out.

DJ, the risk here is over a $1 connector for pete sake.
I've had banana plugs for years with no problems. I've used them with my Axiom setup for over a year and a half with no problems and i was switching speakers around rather regularly (couple times a month) for awhile there during some auditioning.
Granted the Axiom plugins are not as deep as some other speakers, but since the speaker and cable should not be moving on a daily basis or during playback, how is is that your banana plugs kept popping out?
In reply to:

Then please run a few hundred watts of power through wire that thin (the size of a pin's head). Please remember ohms law.

This is an extreme example for which we both know is not what is occurring. Besides, you do not constantly run several hundred watts of power to speakers. Most power ranges under several watts. If they did not, then tube amps would be pretty much a waste of time.
In reply to:

my comparison was between bare wire and spades (since I had already ruled out banana's because they are prone to falling out). I should have made that more clear.

I understand where you were headed with that now.
In reply to:

Then why in digital data transfer with optical lines is bending the cable a 'no-no' ... I'm aware that with more than one wavelength of light it's necessary to keep it straight, but I'm pretty sure that with only one, it's still better to keep it as straight as possible.

Optical cable was not meant to be bent in shapes that can be attained by metal conductors, that is true. However, optical cable is designed for curvature of the cable. It has to in real world applications and for those that are not so sure...light does bend. Curving an optical cable does not change the signal especially when we are talking about a distance typically less than 3 feet. If optical cable could not be bent at all then consider why companies like Nortel would be producing and running hundreds of thousands of kilometres of optical cable for world communications.
Did you know those high capacity optical cables can carry in excess of 400GB per SECOND of data!?? (I have a relative that works for Nextel).
In reply to:

Eh, I guess. But mine has gotten tugged a few times and it doesn't work right anymore - it gets really noisy once in a while. It could, however, be the add-on card I got for my sound card; I don't know.

My old Technics system had a similar problem. The fault was in the connection of the optical cable to the unit itself. Cheap plastic ends from the original boxed cables must have become worn down and became loose. Switching to a new cable fixed the problem.
I have also had subwoofer cables with somewhat questionable RCA terminations causing odd noises if the cable was not placed in a certain position. There is such a thing as 'too cheap' cable. Heck, it has to at least work properly.

As for the sound card, my Turtle Beach spits out the odd sound drop and pop now and again. Sometimes i play a song twice to be sure it was not a recording flaw.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020