Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Drummers, opinions again please.
#232514 12/02/08 07:22 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
OK, my infatuation with my dream of becoming a drummer will not go away. You may laugh, but I figured that if I stayed interested long enough in RockBand to actually be able to beat most songs in Expert level then this might be something more than an another passing infatuation. I now beat almost all but a few songs in expert (Damn you Metallica) and I'm able to do all the beat lessons with my eyes closed to moderately fast speeds.

The key to getting to expert level was actually closing my eyes during when practicing the beat lessons. They were easy when you watch the gems fall but the real test of your timing comes when you can't see them coming.

OK enough self justification.

This set has been haunting me for a month now.

Five Piece Pearl Drum Kit (Target Series)
Excellent Condition
Sabian Rock Hi Hats, Sabian Crash, Sabian Splash
$600 which I assume is negotiable.

Full link is here if you care to let me know what you think.

I'd appreciate comments as to weather or not they are worth a minor, one hour drive to view closer. I'll be taking a real drummer for backup.

I had been looking for a deal on V-Drums or another electronic set but they are just out of my budget new and the local market for used equipment is pretty small around here. I'd prefer a 'real' set anyways but was thinking of trying to maintain my wifes sanity.

Thanks guys.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Drummers, opinions again please.
Murph #232540 12/02/08 10:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Tought to give an answer on this because there are several understated pieces to the puzzle. Since you are just starting out, you don't want to make a big investment, so of course there are nicer sets out there...

With that said, the Pearl sets are generally pretty good. They have been around for a long time as well.

I would say that it is worth the drive to check them out. The Sabian's are going to sound either harsh, flat, sharp, mellow, blah, blah, blah depending on what YOU like, so they will need to be listened to.

The drums themselves can have their sound altered by tightening and loosening the heads, removing the bottom heads of the toms, or the "outside" head of the bass drum, or even just using different types of drum heads. You can take a mediocre set of drums and make them sound pretty good just by changing a few things, of course the reverse is true. You can take a good drum set, throw on some crappy drum heads, and really mess things up.

So long story short, I think that you will have to go there and check them out in person. That is the only way to know if they sound good or not to you.

To get something new that would have the similar specs (a little nicer though) would run you about $800 if that helps at all.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Murph #232552 12/03/08 12:52 AM
aficionado
aficionado
You will also need to add a 'ride' cymbal and stand. \:\)

Rock_Head #232564 12/03/08 02:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Rock_Head
You will also need to add a 'ride' cymbal and stand. \:\)

Good catch. I missed that one. The splash is nice, but most beginners don't need one (or they turn into splash cymbal freaks and play it way too much). Factor in a ride cymbal that "matches" the other cymbals (same series for starters, and then, again depending on the sound you want, go from there).

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #232597 12/03/08 09:15 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Also remember if you plan to play any "Nu Metal" to turn your ride upside down and tighten the clamp with pliers. It's the drummer's version of drop-D tuning.

Also, you'll need an Alien Disc for no good reason.

Bren R.

BrenR #232606 12/03/08 01:46 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
The metal I play is so Nu, I call it Knü Metal.

BrenR #232678 12/03/08 09:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In addition, you will need one of these to play the double bass fills.
http://www.westcoastdrums.com/taircojrpogl1.html

Rock_Head #232733 12/04/08 06:29 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I think a double bass pedal is a bit much for a newbie, but for that hard core metal, you'll want one. :-)

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #232744 12/04/08 02:21 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks all.

The Pearls are probably not going to get looked at because after sending an email request for specific details about their condition, he mentioned a small "currently not effecting sound" crack on the splash symbol. While his statement may be true, at least for now, I asked if he could email me a picture of the crack and intended to run it by an experienced drummer friend. At this point, he is not responding by email. He might just be away from his email for a bit but it makes my spidey senses tingle.

On the plus side, now that my wife has recognized that I am actually very serious about finally making a purchase, she has decided that it might now be better if we up the budget a bit to buy electronic drums to ensure her sanity and/or preserve our marriage. While I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of electronic sets, it is a very good idea for my beginner phase as the noise reduction will result in much more available practice time.

This is still not a big budget increase. $800 target and $1000 max. After weeding out the realllly bottom of the line kits, I am hopeful for this
Yamaha DTXpress IV set

Note: when I called a local music store here to check his used price verses new, the version IVs are 'on sale' cough, for 1899

The only other set within reach is a less featured Yamaha DTXplorer. It is listed for 850 but only has single zone pads and looks even more ugly with it's pie slice cymbals and just another pad for a high hat.

I also found an entry level Roland set but was surprised to find a lot of poor reviews on this model so it didn't make the short list.

Further comments are welcome. I won't be pulling the trigger until I return from Ottawa on Tuesday so lots of time for a sanity check if you feel I need one.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #232751 12/04/08 03:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I quite enjoy the "Rock Band" drum kit. I was hammered up on the weekend and my friends disassembled the drum kit and sat it on my lap, so I was drumming away, very reminiscent of Carter Beauford I must say, then the guys called out for our round of car bombs or a Jägerbombs(can't remember \:\) ), so I started to turn my wheelchair around not realizing that the drums were still plugged into the Xbox and, well, they went a crashing to the floor.

I like to think of that story as an allegory, in that I didn't miss the calling \:D \:D

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters