Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Audials One Software
#233326 12/07/08 12:59 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I’m not sure if anyone is already using this software Audials One or even interested but I’m so impressed with it I just have to give a shout out to it.

I downloaded and played with it some yesterday to get a feel for it. I fired it up this morning before leaving for drill and told it to find jpop mp3s of 128bit or higher and when I got home it had already ripped just under 1200 unique songs from various internet radio stations and categorized them into 32 different subdirectories based on genre. Many have album art an lyrics. Some are tagged as known good and seem to be, others are tagged as questionable indicating that a dj may have over part or that the beginning or end may have been clipped or overextended, which you can then edit out.

Only listened to a fraction but it seems like most of the rips are done well but I am totally unimpressed with 128bit, ok they mostly sound like crap. But the 320bit do sound quite well on my Sennheiser headphones but won’t be able to give them a real test until Monday morning when the neighbors are all at work.

Nice thing is it converts from and to about any audio/video file format you might want. Still learning about it but has to be the best Christmas present I’m gonna get this year.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Re: Audials One Software
grunt #233328 12/07/08 01:05 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
That looks like a really cool package. You should chime in again when you've had more time with it. I'm interested.

CV #233367 12/07/08 07:25 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Ok this thing is getting cooler by the minute.

Here’s some of the more useful stuff I‘ve noticed but it‘s only a tip of the iceberg.

The rip quality is mostly a function of bit rate however one station seem poorer than others. Discovered this while listening to an offending song in the built in player. Just selected the sort by station option and only tracks from that station display. Sampled them and found they were all poor sounding. Right click on one track and selected “ban station” and that one is no longer recorded another couple clicks and all the offending tracks were history.

Most tracks cut correctly only few out of the 100 or so I’ve listened to were chopped at the beginning (deleted them) about 1 in 20 fade into the next song. Just click cut while the track is selected in the player and the editor opens, drag the cut to the right place, click save and all fixed.

Options menu allows auto fade in/out settings if fading wanted. If normalization is wanted the dB level can be set. Files can be auto converted to other formats with original saved or deleted.

Radio ripper, player and editor all integrate seamlessly. Ripper search function can be edited by right clicking on track in player with things like (find more of <artist>, find similar to <artist>, ban station, favorite station, large selection of options to configure in the ripper w/o even leaving the player.

Radio station filter can be set to specific countries, bit rate ranges, mp3 and/or AAC.

Limit ripping by bandwidth, number of stations, countdown time, record specific timeframes, record set amount of data, auto shutoff computer what done.

This has to be one of the most user friendly pieces of software I’ve ever used.

I’ll post more as I have time to play with this. I hate drill weekends no time to do anything.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #233502 12/08/08 01:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Very cool Dean! Keep us posted please.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #233519 12/08/08 03:58 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Trying out the MusicFinder tab of RadioTracker. Allows you to create wish-lists of tracks or artists to monitor thousands of internet radio stations for. From the artist list I selected “Blink 182” and added it to the list I was already running. Meanwhile the “radio” tab is still ripping the one 320bit jpop station I found.

With “Blink 182” highlighted in the MusicFinder list I clicked on “search music” which switches you over to mp3videoraptor (the searching/ripping engine) program and automatically imported “Blink 182 and started searching for downloadable versions. With “mp3 and video” selected (searches for and displays both/can also display just mp3 or just video) it found thousands of Blink 182 tracks. I right clicked on “All the Small Things” and selected “search for this title” and it quickly found hundreds of tracks from about 60 sites. Switched display to mp3 only and slide the quality slider to 3 stars out of 5 (the best available in this case). Picked one and hit play to listen. Sounded ok even though the bit rate displayed was only 192. Right click and downloaded.

Switched display to video only and displayed hundreds of “all the small things” videos from about 50 “artists” (a couple were variations of “blink 182” others were site names or covers/the “exact” toggle eliminates all but the exact search string). Scrolled down to “Lynne & tessa” (a couple of German girls who lipsync the song) and downloaded as an mp4 (no previewing videos).

Quality didn’t seem quite as good as one I had already downloaded from Youtube with “keepvid.com” so I opened IE and surfed to Youtube and the found Lynne & tessa’s video. As soon as it started playing I switched to mp3videoraptor’s “surf & catch” tab and Lynne & tessa’s youtube version was queued up for download (I had deselected “download all watched clips automatically”) Downloaded this version as an mp4. Also ripped the same one with keepvid.com to ensure I was comparing exactly the same ones.

Here’s where it stumbles a little. The keepvid.com version looked better and was about 11Mb vs the Audials One version which was about 20Mb and had more macro blocking when the girls are dancing around. The difference wasn’t noticeable in a smaller window but in full screen the keepvid.com version was noticeably better. For easy of use Audials One was the clear winner over cutting & pasting the URL, downloading, renaming and copying the file required by keepvid.com.

Went back to music search and told it to display all of the “all the small things” videos it found. Selected 5 star quality and one video was left. Downloaded this as an mp4. Near flawless in full screen but was 30Mb. It was also the bands real video which has them dancing around (in underwear?)…deleted…sticking with the German girls.

All the while the Radio program’s “RadioTracker” was still ripping 320bit jpop station, it’s “music finder” had ripped one live feed of “all the small things” and it’s “podcast” finished downloading a Japanese topless game show (gotta love Japan).

So far the program has run flawlessly on my XP machine. I even fired up WMP while watching a video in it’s built-in viewer and nothing locked up while both video and audio streams played.

Just to reacap the only flaw I’ve found so far is that it’s mp4 encoders (has more than one) don’t do as good as at least one other (keepvid.com) but still much easier to use.

Ok this is more than long enough so I’ll post more later.

P.S. almost forgot I was also listening to the previously downloaded jpop mp3s in the built in player and deleting or tagging their quality while doing all of the rest of this.

Cheers,
Dean

grunt #233601 12/08/08 07:03 PM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Here’s some more findings some fairly random.

Finally got the program to crash overnight. I left the RadioTracker ripping one jpop station while the MusicFinder was scouring stations for specific tracks and artists. Looks like about 2 hours after going to sleep it got pissed off that the bittorrent client running on another computer was hogging all the bandwidth I told RadioTracker it could have. Will limit the bandwidth to the Bittorrent client to see if that prevents it happening again.

Still in 2 hours it found over 30 tracks from 4 of the 6 artists it was searching for all at the 128bit minimum I set. Don’t seem to be many 192 or 320bit streams out there though the station manager does tell you which ones are there if you only want to download only from them.

Another possible glitch is that unlike the radio player which cuts it’s rips pretty well only about 1 in 20 is needing a minor edit at the beginning or end the track, however for the MusicFinder it was about 1 in 10 and it had a couple tracks where the DJ was recorded for a couple minutes before or after the song (this only happened on two German stations?) Another limit is that the editor can only cut and or fade about the first and last 30 seconds of the track. Seems purpose built to make the application simple and is good enough for 98% of the cases.

The flags that tell you if a rip was cut well seem spot on, however the flags for poorly cut rips are about 50/50. Some are false positives and some are just missed but it does narrow down the ones you find while listening. Tracks are tagged by which program ripped them which makes hunting down the poor cuts easier.

The MusicFinder doesn’t filter out previously ripped tracks, probably good since having multiple to choose from based on quality is advantageous. It also stores all the radio rips in a separate subdirectory from the manual downloads.

What MusicFinder found was both interesting and as suspected. For Nena and The Bangles it ripped multiple copies of their most popular songs. For Nena and Peter Schilling it found tracks I’d never heard before. For The Human League it found tracks I hadn’t heard in years and for Blondie it found a French language version of “Sunday Girl.”

The mp3videoraptor program (direct search/downloads) copies the tracks “as is” without applying normalization like the RadioTracker can, however you can run the track through Tunebit (the converter) and apply it there. So far about 1 of 100 tracks found with mp3videoraptor points to a track different from what’s named or to a dead link.

Virtually every program allows you to right click on a track and tell one of the other programs to search for more from the same or similar artists which brings up a huge list to select from. Some discretion needed as I’m not sure about Led Zeppelin being similar to Joan Jett?

P.S. I know double post so sue me.

grunt #233841 12/09/08 05:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Dean - thanks for all the info. I enjoyed reading it all, double-post included! \:\)

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
grunt #233842 12/09/08 05:24 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Dean, I'm really glad to see your posts.

I purchased this software a couple months ago and am VERY pleased.

My original motivation was purely for converting iTunes music to MP3: a task which I think AudialsOne does more easily than anything else I've come across. I've also used the MP3/Video Raptor extensively to find lots of music (for portables).

I think the program has easily paid for itself. I count it among a select group of software that is "worth the cost" and would recommend it.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #233844 12/09/08 05:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I purchased this software a couple months ago and am VERY pleased.

So how come YOU haven't been writing in-depth reviews of the software? You make Dean do it? While he's trying to serve his country and all.... you leave HIM to have to write this stuff?

Evil-doer.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #233855 12/09/08 05:52 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Okay, first off, my wife's name is not "Evil".

Secondly, Dean just seems to care more than I do. Plus he's better at it. I mean really, when you're looking for quality feedback, I know you're not looking to me anyway.

Sucking-square-room, maple-syrup eating yankee photophile.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup