Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Drummers, opinions again please.
Murph #232917 12/05/08 04:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes, but my super secret trading club isn't government run, it is run by us! LOL

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Murph #234100 12/10/08 02:23 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Getting closer.
Played around at Long & McQuade in Ottawa Saturday and smaller music shop with fantastically high prices but very friendly people.

I'm probably going to go with a set of Roland TD3SW. Roland's entry level set but as per lots of advice, upgradeable and even in my newness I could tell that the mesh snare is a valuable feature.

Canadian prices are actually worse than American plus rate conversion. However I have yet to confirm if there are duty on these items. I'm suspecting so.

I was also looking at the next step up in the Roland's but used as per this link.
Roland TD6 - Used
In email inquiries, he has moved down a couple of hundred and it includes a throne and kick pedal that I would otherwise have to add to the price of a new set.

I'm likely shying away though as I have heard from the drummer who agreed to go view them for me that electronic drums rely on a (did he say glass?) sensor in each pad that has a limited lifespan and that it is a given that they eventually fail. Hours of use and the heaviness of the use are the variables. Therefore, he refuses to advise much on any used purchases due so he has me a bit spooked for used electronic drums.

I'm hoping to get this all completed prior to Christmas as my wife has agreed to spend the extra money for an electronics set as a Christmas present but I wonder if it is really more of a present to her to not have the much heavier noise of an enthusiastic beginner on an acoustic set.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #234141 12/10/08 07:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Another word about the TD6 setup, that is using the original (older) TD6 module. The newer one is charcoal colored, not blue, and has some nice improvements. As for the sound library, the TD3 module actually has "newer" sound samples than the TD6, and some argue that it (the TD3) has more usable sounds and drum sets than the TD6 which has more total.

I've never heard of a "glass" sensor before, so I don't think that is correct. There should be piezos in there...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #234226 12/11/08 01:51 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well, as you can guess by my new Avatar, I'm the very exited owner of a new Roland TD-3sw set. My thanks to the vdrums.com dude whom I mercilessly ripped off the avatar from. Let's hope he is not an Axiom owner.

My wife actually made the call as it is ultimately a Christmas present from her. I was just doing all the leg work. Further research showed that my buddies fears of sensors breaking down were not as well founded according to the e-drumming community at large, especially for the better made Rolands. However, my wife had already gone out and purchased me the new set yesterday after being equally spooked by his advice.

In any case, I'm not disappointed at all as this will be a great kit to get started on and I suspect it will be a good while before I could actually justify any major upgrades. Notice I said, justify, not crave. I fully expect upgraditis to take advantage to this new weakness to my immune system.

Got them set up last night but couldn't find my stereo extension cord for the 1/4 jack required for running a headset so I haven't actually heard what they sound like yet. I know all the pads are working from the LEDs but I can't wait to get home tonight and actually hear how bad I am.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Murph #234230 12/11/08 01:58 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Hey, CONGRATS Murph!

Of course, the fact that you're setting up your Christmas present may not go over too well with a certain forum member who is sitting on his hands so he doesn't drive to his in-laws to set up a certain Blu-Ray player!

Guess we won't be seeing you too much for the next week or two, huh?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #234234 12/11/08 02:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Hey, CONGRATS Murph!

Of course, the fact that you're setting up your Christmas present may not go over too well with a certain forum member who is sitting on his hands so he doesn't drive to his in-laws to set up a certain Blu-Ray player!

Guess we won't be seeing you too much for the next week or two, huh?

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing reading his post about setting up his Christmas present last night, and then I saw yours! Too funny... I guess... but I am still mad... (about not getting my present, congrats on the drums! )

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Murph #234284 12/11/08 06:30 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Murph,
Congratulations on your early Christmas present. Did you get a kick pedal and throne as well? Don't worry about how bad you sound, we all started out as beginners. There is a lot information on YouTube about drumming including free lessons etc.
Have fun!
Cheers,
Shaun

Rock_Head #234299 12/11/08 08:36 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks all.

There was indeed a kick pedal waiting for me when Christmas struck early. A Pearl, model somethin somethin. Not high end but shouldn't self destruct any time soon. I'm still throneless but hopefully, not for long.

I've been scoping out the amazing amount of free lessons at FreeDrumLessons.com I also have the opportunity to buy this set of 12 instructional DVDs for $30 bucks from a guy at work. http://www.icanplaydrums.com/ I probably would have dismissed this sight as being too cheesy but it actually gets very strong reviews over at vdrums.com. Plus for $30 bucks, I can't really go wrong.

A friend will offer pointers and corrections on technique and I haven't ruled out formal lessons yet but I'm going to go this route for now until I feel I need the personal touch.

I can actually do some basic beats and fills already but I have a long way to go before I could incorporate it into music, but learning is the fun part. I tend to only get bored with things when I reach my max potential and I don't see that happening with a musical instrument....ever.

Murph #234317 12/11/08 09:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just remember that if you sit down and work on technique every day BEFORE just jamming out, you will be better off in the end. A lot of new drummers (as I would guess would be the case with many instruments) want to just jam out all of the time, and while that is great fun, you need to discipline yourself, even for just 10 minutes, and work on technique... Then jam out, play attention to the technique that you have been working on (stick placement on the heads, wrist/finger movements, proper posture, steady beat, whatever)...

Enjoy!

PS. I've got a Pearl bass drum pedal too. The one I have can add a second pedal for my left foot as well, but I think that in 2 years they discontinued it or something because the price for the 2nd pedal add-on is $200 when it was about $100 a year ago.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #234415 12/12/08 01:45 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Good advice. I'm a bit anal when it comes to training regimes for sports, education, etc. I balance that with a total disregard for order in my leisure time. I'm pretty determined to do this right.

The pedal is the Pearl P-120P. The instructions show how to add on and convert it to a double pedal but I think one will do me for a long time. Besides, if I start into a double bass pedal, I'd have to let my hair grow. I'm OK with that part but spandex pants kind of go against my dress code at work. \:\) \:\) \:\)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters