Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Favourite Albums all time/any genre...
fredk #239752 01/12/09 01:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm having a horrible time building a list. Every time I think I have it nailed, somebody adds in an "Oh Ya, I forgot about that one." I listened to way to many different kinds of music to do an 'all genres open' list.

I'm a day late on this semi-hijack but I'll be one of those lurking metal 80 metal heads who come out to defend themselves. Since I believe in making fun of everyone equally, I'll only throw out one defensive comment because despite my love of the music back then, even then deep inside, I knew spandex was wrong. \:\)

Say what you will about Motley Crue (and you can safely say quiet a lot.) They had a big influence on the industry in the 80s. In an age when radio was being dominated by the new 'wear your pastel colored sweater hanging over your shoulders' pop, they brought back punk disguised as metal. A badly needed alternative for those of us sickened by the repetitiveness monotony of the radio playlists of the day. If it wasn't sweater pop, it was an extended dance remix of a sweater pop song.

Actually, there was tons of good, diverse music back then but at least where I lived, if you wanted to hear it, you had to go out and buy it.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #239757 01/12/09 02:18 PM
shareholder in the making
Murph, I agree about the Spandex AND some of the hair bands.

It WAS over the top, and I really wasn't into it too much back then, but I have to admit a certain nostalgia for it today. Cranking up a best-of Motley Crue or Poison disc is just fun.

As with most things in life, if you don't take it too serious you can't make a big deal out of it. Live and Let Live. Kumbaya, and all that sh_t.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #239765 01/12/09 03:54 PM
Adrian Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The 80s had it's fair share of 'cheese' but there was also a lot of bands that peaked back in the 80s...Dire Straits, ZZtop, Rush, Springstein, U2, Van Halen....haven't had my coffee yet so the two active brain cells haven't kicked in yet....loads of other good bands despite the recyleable pop stuff.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #239766 01/12/09 03:56 PM
I'm sorry, but Van Halen is the very definition of recyclable pop. Yes, I own two albums. Yes, it's kinda fun. But it's hard rock bubblegum.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #239768 01/12/09 04:04 PM
Adrian Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well, I didn't mind some of their early stuff. I guess they didn't really branch out too much musicianship-wise, but you could easily make the same argument for AC/DC. Alot of their songs are so similar, you forget which song you're listening to. Hey, they peaked in the 80s too!!

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #239769 01/12/09 04:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Coincidentally, just before Christmas, I picked up a friends copy of "The Heroin Diaries" by Nicki Sixx (The 'twice clinically dead' bass player & songwriter for Motley Crue.)

I normally would NEVER read a celebrities biography but I actually went out and bought my own copy to finish reading it after being unable to put it down at his place.

It wasn't AT ALL what I expected. The artwork and color disguise an extremely serious publication. He has put in print all the diaries he wrote while being hooked on heroin, among many other things. It has the usual commentaries from band mates and friends but the diaries and his own commentaries pull no punches. His addiction, his depression, a building total reclusion from society, the effects on his body, his extreme delusions and paranoia, even his criminal activities are all there without any attempt to make it pretty, justify it or glamorize it. Definitely not for the feint of heart or weak stomached.

I'm totally shocked. It's a must read for anyone who has experienced a severe addiction or friends and family with severe addictions. Also, he is donating proceeds from the sales to his street kid charity, so buy it, don't borrow.

Axiom forum tie in........... The accompanying soundtrack for the book (same Name) is actually an excellent CD although Crue fans will be disappointed by it's mostly mellow nature.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
MarkSJohnson #239778 01/12/09 05:23 PM
Everybody loves Whitesnake for this bit of classic poetry:

And here I go again on my own
Going down the only road I've ever known.
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone.
And I've made up my mind.
I ain't wasting no more time.

Murph #239779 01/12/09 05:26 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Say what you will about Motley Crue (and you can safely say quiet a lot.)
They were just one band that I couldn't get into... and I never understood exactly why, I've narrowed it down to...

They play hard rock/heavy metal - check
The makeup is no worse than Twisted Sister's - check
Okay, they wear spandex, so does Iron Maiden - check
In pictures, they always seem to do the pumped fist, so does Billy Idol - check
Also, they make those kissy faces in all the pictures - Ohhhh... that's why!!

Bren R.

BrenR #239780 01/12/09 05:29 PM
You, too, can replicate that kissy face look by putting a mouse-trap on your scrotum.

pmbuko #239783 01/12/09 05:48 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Say cheese!

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard