Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Employee Monitoring Software - recommendations
BlueJays1 #239238 01/09/09 07:23 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
You said you are happy overall with your employees [sic] performance.

I'm fairly happy with my employees' performance, i.e. the group as a whole. We have three, and they are pretty good, but I really do wonder if they are good enough. But that's another issue. This one employee in question, she is the newest one, and at first she was dynamite, but now she is not pulling her weight.

If her web browsing starts affecting her job and completing tasks in the requested time, well that is a whole different story.

That's just it. She takes 8 hours to do 4 hours of work. The other employees are pissed because they have to do more. It's a real mess. I should have, uh, stated this at the beginning. Her fortunes are starting to look more bleak as I type this, I think.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Re: Employee Monitoring Software - recommendations?
medic8r #239239 01/09/09 07:24 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I agree with the general sentiment here. Are your employees task-based or project-based? If they mostly have tasks to deal with, then I'd guess the internet use is going on when there are no immediate tasks to be handled. If, on the other hand, they could be getting some work done on projects and choose instead to update their Facebook pages, then I'd agree it's a problem.

Reducing the size of the internet for your employees is harsh. It may be deserved, but it's still harsh. It may lead to reduced morale and less productivity despite the reduced distractions.

Proceed with caution.

fredk #239244 01/09/09 07:34 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yes, Yes, and Yes. It's his business, and it's his money spent on computer hardware and internet access. Then herein is the real question. Is the employee paid for there time, or to get the job done? Depending on who you ask you might get differnt answers. The real answer is the one the owner of the business uses. If they want to rule with an iron fist, they can, as long as they are not breaking any labour laws.

But it may not make business sence to do this. As the baby boomers start to retire, it is going to be harder and harder to find good people. Albera, Canada is suffering from this right now. It is an employee's market, and if they don't like the workng conditions or managment style at your business, they'll leave to go somewhere else. And the thing is, they can. We tell our clients you need to manage your people, not there time.

But in the end, it is your choice on how you want to run your business.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #239247 01/09/09 07:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My best friend is Bengali Canadian and I know he has lots of cousins back in Bangladesh that would work for you for a dollar a day and wouldn't have a sweet clue how to surf the Internet. Just give me a heads up and I'll give him a call if you want \:\)

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #239248 01/09/09 07:50 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Mmm, the sweet smell of labor laws being broken...

medic8r #239251 01/09/09 07:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think some of his cousins work for American corporations in Bangladesh, just outsource your business ;\)

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Worfzara #239252 01/09/09 08:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Worfzara

I am a Solution Consultant for Monster.ca and I deal with HR departments everyday and help them deal with these kinds of issues.

Installing“big brother” software will only reduce overall moral. And this is something we try to instill in our clients as a huge taboo!

I hope this helps

While this may be true for a small company, it can become a problem with larger ones. Get enough people surfing, yet still getting their work done and it hurts bandwidth. Even if it something like streaming pandora to listen to music at work, a lot of people doing that can slow things down, thereby making the Internet slow for other users at the business trying to do productive work.

Shouldn't be an issue in this case, with only a handful of machines, but as much as I'm not a fan of big brother software, I can see a need for it at times.

medic8r #239253 01/09/09 08:04 PM
G
veteran
veteran
G
 Originally Posted By: medic8r

If her web browsing starts affecting her job and completing tasks in the requested time, well that is a whole different story.

That's just it. She takes 8 hours to do 4 hours of work. The other employees are pissed because they have to do more. It's a real mess. I should have, uh, stated this at the beginning. Her fortunes are starting to look more bleak as I type this, I think.

If the above is true then I would be looking for another employee.

Graeme L #239254 01/09/09 08:08 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Yeah, exactly. Unemployment hit 7.2% today, so there's plenty of pickin's as they say. Wish me luck.

medic8r #239256 01/09/09 08:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good luck, I hope things work out for you. I know it's hard to come across quality employees, so if you have to replace her hopefully you can find someone just as competent but more expeditious.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters