Wohooo! It worked!! And it only took 22 hours.

I picked up Acronis a while back with the plan to create a system archive I could go back to if my registry got too buggered up or my OS became compromised. I have been meaning to reinstall Vista on my HTPC because, unknown to me, Vista automatically grabs the bigger partition when it has a choice . I wanted my OS on a small partition with the larger one for all my EPs.

Instead of re-installing I decided to restore the archive to a resized partition. Though it took me quite a while (I had no idea what I was doing) it seems to have worked as expected/hoped.

Now I need to get serious about ripping my miniscule collection to disk (using Media Monkey).

Here's a question for the geeks. Do you use your backup software to back up your music or do you just make a copy? It seems to me that doing a compressed backup defeats the purpose os storing a full bandwidth copy of all your music or using lossy compression. If a strait copy preserves all the tag data I don't see how using the backup software to do an uncompressed backup adds any value. Is there any value to being able to verify an archive?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!