Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Router / network question (Sqeeze Box stuff)
#239563 01/11/09 05:10 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M

I’m in the process of setting up my HP Smart Media Home Server and Squeeze Box Duet. I’ve ran into a snag.

I am a self proclaimed PC / IT / Software / Hardware moron. It is not possible to talk down to me. Please try.

I have a hard wired network. No wireless and I don’t really want to go wireless. (but I will if there is a good reason to do so)

So far I have connected the server to the home network and I think it’s working OK. I was able to transfer 350 gigs of audio files from an external drive that is plugged into my office PC onto the HP server.

The Squeeze box installation instructions suggest that I install Squeeze center on the server so that I can run it when the (office) computer is off. It also suggests that instead of giving the software a typical drive address for the music file folder, I give it a web address. I started to set this up using the remote access wizard on the server desk top and one of the steps was to configure my router. When the wizard started checking the router for Plug and Play, it said the router was OK, and then anther dialog box came up telling me I had to access my router and manually configure it. I click on that and it brought up the router’s web page. The damn thing is asking for my user name and password to access the router…… What the heck?? I don’t have a user name / password for my router?? The wizard tells me that I should consult my router’s documentation. Crap…. I tossed that stuff years ago. The router is a Linksys four port.

My office PC is running Vista.

This is frustrating……. I asked for help on the Slim Device Forums. I was provided a link for “beginners”. All that information is for beginners who speak IT language.

Re: Router / network question (Sqeeze Box stuff)
michael_d #239565 01/11/09 05:13 PM
shareholder in the making
OK, you do have a password on the router. It may well be something like admin/<blank password> or admin/password. Possibly even <blank username>/admin or <blank username>/password.

What kind of linksys router do you have? We can probably look up the default password on their website.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
michael_d #239567 01/11/09 06:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I am a bit confused. SqueezeCenter does not like files that are NOT on the local drive.

Can you explain exactly what you are trying to achieve (I am running SqueezeCenter on two computers here, and one is a HP MediaServer so I should be able to help)?

1) What squeezeXYZ do you have? Box? Receiver? BoomBox?
2) Do you have a Squeezebox Controller?
3) Do you wish to access SqueezeCenter from outside your home (from the office, for example)
4) Do you need to access "squeeze network" for radio and stuff?

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #239568 01/11/09 06:49 PM
Yeah, you shouldn't have to access the router if you're only doing streaming inside your house. If you're streaming outside of your house, then that's a different matter.

Ken.C #239580 01/11/09 07:32 PM
O
onn Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
O
Leave the user name blank and admin for the password

onn #239582 01/11/09 07:49 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure what the Router Model number is. I need to pull it out to see. I'll do that tomorrow. I need the serial number anyway.....

I have the Duet.

I am following the set up instructions on the SD Wiki sight. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WindowsHomeServer

I don’t need, or really want to access the server from anywhere but my home. I’m just following these recommendations……..
Using a computer other than your server start a browser and point it at a website on your server. There are various ways of doing this http://<your_server_name>:9000 or using the TCP/IP address for example http://192.168.1.200:9000 The first time you do this a 'wizard' will run that helps you to correctly configure your new SqueezeCenter. The element that is important for Windows Home Server is the location of your music files. There are two or three ways to specify this but the preferred method is to use a UNC. A UNC is similar to a URL in concept.

Assuming that you have stored your music files under the music shared folder then the UNC will be: //<your server name>/music you can also point it to folders lower down the heirachy //<your server name>/music/flac Whilst this is highly recommended you can if necessary use a normal windows drive reference. In this case use D:\shares\music Microsoft note that they may change the location of the shared folders within the disk hierachy in the future and this would obviously break your configuration. Another advantage to using the UNC is that the path specified should be the same for all computers on your network. This allows any playlists you create to be used by both SqueezeCenter and other applications on the network.

michael_d #239583 01/11/09 07:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
disreguard the URL thing.
Use the direct path and you'll be set.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #239584 01/11/09 07:55 PM
And if you're not accessing it from anywhere but your home, disregard anything about the router.

Ken.C #239590 01/11/09 08:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The guys are pointing you in the right direction. There's no need to adjust the router settings for in-home use. You adjust these settings to allow 'port forwarding', opening some ports for use outside the home.

If you ever want to do that, go to portforward.com. Great site. You just find your router and the application you want to run. Pretty straightforward.

That HP server is pretty nice. Some of the newer ones now support Time Machine backup. They had a few on demo at Macworld.

oldskoolboarder #239591 01/11/09 08:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: oldskoolboarder
That HP server is pretty nice. Some of the newer ones now support Time Machine backup. They had a few on demo at Macworld.

Orly? Hmm...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters