St_PatGuy #241673 01/20/09 10:07 PM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
Ok,

Some of you wanted an update when I received my new Emotiva RPA-2 power amp, so here goes...

It was supposed to come Monday, but being an holiday it arrived Tuesday (today). And yes I left work early, good thing I'm on salary \:\)

Anyway, I unpacked and hooked it up with all new cables/wires from monoprice.com

Now I could (and kinda wanted to) go on saying it's freakin awesome, blew me away, the best rush I've ever had and all the other over exaggerated terms.

But I wanted to be really honest as to how I really reacted when I heard the first song. The first song I played this time was Gary Moore's "Victims of the future" I purposely listened to this song over and over without the amp and just my Yamaha HTR-5760. I listened at low, mid, high and extreme volumes for the last couple of days. I thought this would really let me know if the amp would make any difference once I heard this song with the RPA-2.

So had the volume at -10, this was extremely loud for me without the amp, yammy only. The song starts slow with just guitar and Gary's vocals. It sounded excellent right off. Now this particular song, right after a brief slow intro of vocal and guitar slowly stops, there is a pause of total silence for about 2 seconds.

Then, Gary and his band kick in full tilt with a massive power chord and explosion of guitar, drums and bass.

I have to tell you, it actually scarred me! I felt my whole body jerk. My jaw dropped and as I type this now, I remember saying calmly...Holy Sh*t. That was all I said, chills ran up thru my spine and neck, my heart actually started to beat faster. I started saying some other words, thou can't remember what. I'm sure I was smiling and then started re-positioning myself in different areas of the room as the song continued to play, so I could soak this massive quake of sound waves filling the room. The slicing guitar, the snap of the snare drum, the power of the kick drum, the incredible pristine waves of cymbals and the massive, thumping and smooth bass guitar. All of it, just incredible.

Now, keep in mind that with my old HTR-5760, I just "thought" it sounded great. I have read a lot on the net about some who say watts are just watts and I probably wouldn't hear much, if any difference. What I experienced is like night and day, especially at mid, high and extreme volumes. Now granted at lower volumes, not much difference. I can now realize that before the RPA-2, I was actually listening to some slight distorted mids and highs, but really just didn't notice it since I had nothing to compare to. Now I see (hear) what I have been missing.

I can see now why people go with separate amplification. Now most of you know from this thread that I was fairly concerned about Emotiva Amps shutting down with the M80's. I will definitely keep you all updated if it does shut down.

I am going to really put this amp thru the ringer, btw, during the 30 minutes of extreme volumes the amp was still cold from delivery. No heat issues whatsoever. I will drive this thing as much as my ears can stand during my 30 day in home trial. If it shuts down once, it's going back, no doubt about it.

Last, but not least, the M80's are unbelievable speakers when given the juice (and not juiced for that matter). I just can't believe how loud, crisp and clean they can really can get and stare back at you like "what, is this all you got?" I could not be more happy right now.

Thanks to you all, I ordered the EP350 today to replace my old crappy sub. I just can't imagine how my system will sound once I get the EP350...no, really..I'm saying that I can't imagine it, I just can't right now. But, I will soon find out once it arrives.

Hope you all enjoyed my experience, I know I did and yea I know, this is all still new to me. That is, actually having "some" quality audio gear. I have to slow down spending $$$ on anymore audio equipment for now, the wife is starting to...no, wait! I will NOT stop! I will buy what I WANT! I will buy and spend and...uh, "what honey? yes dear, dinner is almost ready...what would you like to drink baby? ok, it's on the way sweetheart..."

\:\) \:\)

Dana

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Re: M80's on the way, need advice...please
Dduval #241675 01/20/09 10:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Excellent! Continue to enjoy!

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #241690 01/20/09 11:45 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Nice, enjoy.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #241693 01/20/09 11:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the post, glad your enjoying your equipment, someday I'll go back to using an amp, possibly when Axiom comes out with their 2 channel.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Wid #241697 01/20/09 11:59 PM
B
aficionado
aficionado
B
Nice review! I would have expected a fairly dramatic difference. I dabble in PA for bands. (I bought it for my own band but I probably do more benefits) I bought what I think is a great system. There is always discussion on the PA forum about watts for the typical bar band scenerio. I believe the statement is that you need 10X the power to go twice as loud. With that in mind, many feel that smaller increases of power don't really give you much. I follow the theory that more juice is more juice. The clarity that more watts bring is always worth it to me and I preach that on the PA forum. I hate hearing a good bar band playing louder than their PA can "really" handle. Many think I went overboard. (I have 700 watts per channel for the tops and 1100 watts per channel for 18" front loaded subs) I think it sounds great.

With that theory in mind I really wish I could have more watts with my coming system. I have the Denon 2309 (which Brent said would do a terrific job with the M80's) I can only imagine the differnce that you experienced. Good luck!

BoB/335 #241703 01/21/09 12:33 AM
D
Dduval Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
D
 Originally Posted By: BoB/335
Nice review! I would have expected a fairly dramatic difference. I dabble in PA for bands. (I bought it for my own band but I probably do more benefits) I bought what I think is a great system. There is always discussion on the PA forum about watts for the typical bar band scenerio. I believe the statement is that you need 10X the power to go twice as loud. With that in mind, many feel that smaller increases of power don't really give you much. I follow the theory that more juice is more juice. The clarity that more watts bring is always worth it to me and I preach that on the PA forum. I hate hearing a good bar band playing louder than their PA can "really" handle. Many think I went overboard. (I have 700 watts per channel for the tops and 1100 watts per channel for 18" front loaded subs) I think it sounds great.

With that theory in mind I really wish I could have more watts with my coming system. I have the Denon 2309 (which Brent said would do a terrific job with the M80's) I can only imagine the differnce that you experienced. Good luck!

Thanks Bob,

I know where you're coming from, years ago (about 20) my brother and I was in a band doing the bar scene for a couple years (we just knew we were going to be famous! \:\) We had to live with an under powered PA system (peavey) and a couple times we hired a sound man with his own PA system/gear. We were all shocked by the difference of his much more powerful system...we could actually here ourselves play...oh...those were some good times.

Dana

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Dduval #241706 01/21/09 12:40 AM
B
aficionado
aficionado
B
Check out my band when you have a chance.

MySpace.com/themilestoneband

BoB/335 #241707 01/21/09 12:48 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Direct link.

Sounds pretty darn good Bob.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters