Print Thread
Rate Thread
System Synergy and the M3
#2418 04/03/02 05:54 PM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I blame it all on the M3s, this slide into upgrade madness provoked by how much better these speakers are than my $2800 Infinity Composition Overture 3s. Anyway, I've now had the pleasure of listening to the M3s with all the receivers and amps that I've gone through in the past little while and those that I got for my HT systems.

Some surprising results. I started out with a very modest Technics SADX 940 supposedly 5x100 watt receiver which I used only for stereo with the M3s. I've hooked the M3s up to a Yamaha DSP A1, Sony STB1070, Onkyo 797, and finally an Antique Sound Labs MG SI 15 DT. The Technics was, on balance, for stereo music reproduction, as good as any of them and cost me under $150 from Fry's. The Technics just works ridiculously well with the M3s. I could've saved myself a bundle if I had stayed with good enough. At least I now have an amp with fire bottles which provokes as much conversation as muffled laughter.

Bottom line, if any of you come across a nice Technics SADX 940, which would probably cost you under $100 used, grab it. You won't be sorry.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Re: System Synergy and the M3
#2419 04/03/02 11:41 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Your comments lend me to believe you purchased the ASL. You have 2 vastly different classes of amps, with the electronic and tube models.

Just curious, what sources where you using to mate to the amps?

#2420 04/04/02 02:34 AM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hello BBIBH

I started with a stop gap system to drive my M3s - a Technics SADX 940 with a JVC carousel which was bought used 7 years ago. The system was laughably terrific. I then got a set of Maple Audio Ambience interconnects and the system sounded even better. Of course, I was unable to leave good enough alone.

I then got the Cambridge Audio D500SE which I thought would be a substantial ugrade. It did not work out. The dynamics were not nearly as good, the bass was blowsy and too loose. I am returning the Cambridge. I then got a Yamaha DSP A1, an enormous amplifier. Not notably better than the Technics, but so large that I would have to redecorate my living room to make a permanent home for it. I then traded it in for an Antique Sound Labs MG SI 15 DT and am waiting for the tubes to burn in. I demoed this amp with a pair of BC Acoustique Tibre speakers and was stunned by how great this combination sounds. I'm hoping that once my ASL breaks in it makes my M3s sound as good as the BC's.

#2421 04/07/02 10:02 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Welcome to audio !

I also followed this path, and decided to build several systems of differing quality.

One comment I have is that I would be inclined not to demo systems like the amps and speakers you did with the source you mentioned. You may have been hearing the quality of the source reproduced with great clarity.

Anyway, hope you have a supportive spouse......it certainly helps!

#2422 04/09/02 03:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello BB

Good point! The system as demoed consisted of the Antique Sound Labs MG S1 15 DT, Cardas cables, BC Acoustique Tibre speakers and the source was an Adcom 750 cd player. The demo system sounded much better than mine which seems to be suffering from substantially rolled off highs.

At my end, I have the ASL MG S1 15 DT, flat monster cable speaker wire, Maple Audio Ambience interconnect, Axiom M3Tis speakers, Velodyne CT80 sub, and both Cambridge Audio D500SE and an old JVC CD player (grounded Acme cryo silver outlet).

I ordered some Mapleshade Golden Helix really thin speaker wires, and am hoping that helps, but am hesitant about upgrading my CD and maybe speakers to match the demo system.

#2423 04/10/02 09:30 PM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well, I spoke with some tube gurus, and they suggested that the 12AX7 tubes on my Antique Sound Labs integrated amp could be replaced with some GE versions from the early 60's, which would improve the highs. I was a bit skeptical, but I ordered a matched pair from Jeff's Sound Values in Ontario, California. I successfully installed them without turning myself into a smoking raisin, and holy smokes, it worked. The highs opened up and I had even more snap, especially noticeable listening to guitars, kettle drums getting brushed, etc. The M3s are sounding great! I'm waiting for the Mapleshade Audio really thin gold helix speaker wire (reasonably priced - $85 for an 8' pair) and will report again.

A note on the price increase - one of the things that makes Axiom so desirable is the combination of terrific sound quality and low price. There are many terrific speakers out there - Axiom's edge has been its pricing. I hope our friends at Axiom don't forget this. They can sell more at a lower price, fewer at a higher price - but at a lower price, their speakers are an exceptional value, less of a value as the price goes up. If they keep their prices low it means more great music for more folks - and that's a good thing.

#2424 04/10/02 11:08 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Well in my opinion the system is well balanced, with the JVC being the exception. You may want to look at that after your current upgrades are complete.

#2425 04/11/02 12:52 AM
2x6spds Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I agree. The JVC sounds better than it has any right sounding, substantially better than the highly reviewed Cambridge Audio D500SE. Nevertheless, I'm thinking about the Ah Njoe Tjoeb 400 CD player. Any thoughts?

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044