Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Where did DTS go?
#243948 01/31/09 01:44 PM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
When I rent a DVD, I always check for a DTS track, but lately everything only seems to be in Dolby Digital. Have all of the studios stopped putting DTS tracks on DVD's and if so, why?

Re: Where did DTS go?
Zarak #243958 01/31/09 03:44 PM
local
local
I know they still do it on Blu Ray in the form of DTS-HD Master Audio. Maybe they gave up on DVD...?

Steve
thefwam #243959 01/31/09 04:25 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
With all the hoopla that was going on in the early stages of DVD, it was interesting to see how all this was going to play out when comparing the two surround systems. I know the people at "Widescreen Review" and to this day have always touted the "superiority" of DTS over DD but this was the case only because they had a personal relationship with one of the original founders of DTS so their pronouncements were, no doubt, somewhat biased. In my own and others experimentations, it was shown, although when comparing DTS to DD in listening comparisons, the DTS soundtrack was generally 3 to 4db louder, but better, I am not so sure. A lot of this was determined by the fact that DTS has less compression. In my own totally unscientific study and despite DTS's breakthrough in the movie theaters, over the years since DVD was introduced, I did a rough calculation in that DTS was, at most, on roughly 20% of the soundtracks but ONLY in conjunction with the DD soundtrack. In the early stages, they had a few DTS only discs but they pretty much fell by the wayside. It seems Blu-Ray might be different. It seems now they are going completely one way or the other with the new lossless formats. Universal(The Hulk, Hellboy 2) has gone completely DTS Master Audio with only a DD 2.0 option while others have gone strictly Dolby Tru-HD with no DTS. I guess it depends on the movie studio but it should be interesting how it all evolves.

Zarak #243974 01/31/09 05:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Zarak,

At the introduction of the DVD format, Dolby Digital was the mandatory soundtrack format. dts was always optional at the discretion of the disc producer. Since a royalty is paid to Dolby and dts for the use of the compression algorithm for each, maybe it's a matter of economics.

I'm not up on the agreements for Blu-ray.

Dolby Digital is also the required transmission format for HDTV broadcasting.

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #244023 01/31/09 10:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
My understanding for the DTS on DVD (not sure of Blu-Ray so I won't even speculate on that) but the audio was completely remixed by DTS before being put on the discs, so it wasn't just an amplification or a re-encoding, but a full remix. Sure, the LFE seems a bit "louder," but I also find that the surround effects and overall ambiance seemed to be a bit better that DD. I have no idea how it would sound (or if the average human ear could tell the difference) if it was just "less compressed"...

Anyway, I like the DTS remixes.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #244024 01/31/09 11:05 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I have to admit I've never done switching back and forth between Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks to decide which I favor, but if it's a different mix, then yeah, it makes sense that that would be the cause of any improvement, not any superiority in the encoding, since wasn't it mentioned before that DTS actually employs less efficient compression than DD?

CV #244028 01/31/09 11:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It depends a lot on the version of DTS. The movie Theater version at 1.4Mb is very, very good. You find those on rare special DVD disk editions (when it is the sole soundtrack). Unfortunately, on "normal" DVD, you mostly get the 768Kpbs version, which is not really better (and in fact might even be less good, at least according to DD!) than DolbyD at 448K. You tend to get DTS tracks on disks from producers owning DTS (aka Spielberg)!

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #244054 02/01/09 04:35 AM
J
J
All I know is the Eagles Farewell Tour from Melbourne has a great DTS track

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
EFalardeau #244073 02/01/09 05:38 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
It depends a lot on the version of DTS. The movie Theater version at 1.4Mb is very, very good. You find those on rare special DVD disk editions (when it is the sole soundtrack). Unfortunately, on "normal" DVD, you mostly get the 768Kpbs version, which is not really better (and in fact might even be less good, at least according to DD!) than DolbyD at 448K. You tend to get DTS tracks on disks from producers owning DTS (aka Spielberg)!

SO far, and maybe it is the choice of movies I have, the DTS soundtrack has always sounded as good, or in many cases, noticeably better than the DD (which still is a great encoding). Some movies are just crap, or they slap things on them, but since DTS costs extra, usually (not always) it is an improvement.

As for Spielberg, I agree... As well as him,Universal has a stake in DTS, but both of those happened AFTER the DTS soundtracks for several movies won Oscars (AKA Jurassic Park to start, Saving Private Ryan, etc)

I used to look for DTS to be on movies. It didn't keep me from buying a good flick that "only" had DD. Usually the better movies had really great DD tracks anyway, but it was like an added bonus. I wouldn't pay more than a buck or two more for a DTS disc, but then again, I'm kind of cheap! \:\)

As for the other comment CV, where does it say that DTS uses a "less efficient compression than DD?" Not saying that is wrong, I am just wondering. It is usually less compressed, but that would seem to be a positive.

Again, not trying to dump on DD. DD 5.1 is great stuff. I just generally prefer the better sounding, to me, DTS versions when available. If DTS sounds like crap to you, then listen to the included DD. No harm... No foul... Life is good!

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #244076 02/01/09 06:04 AM
C
CV Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: nickbuol
As for the other comment CV, where does it say that DTS uses a "less efficient compression than DD?" Not saying that is wrong, I am just wondering. It is usually less compressed, but that would seem to be a positive.

I don't remember where I heard it discussed, but I found this page:

Dolby vs DTS - Which is Better?

"Dolby would counteract that their codec is more efficient and therefore, it can operate at a lower bit rate."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters