Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Change transmission fluid in my vehicle.
#245048 02/05/09 05:52 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Ok, I change my oil, rotate tires, etc...but have never tried to change the transmission fluid in a vehicle. My 95 Isuzu Rodeo is starting to feel a little funny when at highway speeds, especially when going up hill. Seems to lunch forward/back a bit...It has 140,000 miles and I don't recall ever having the fluid changed, not sure this will fix it but thought I would try...can't hurt...

So, for the mechanics out there, what would be involved in doing this process, or should I take it in to a mechanic ($$$$$) I don't think I need to flush everything, just drain the fluid, replace, filter, etc?

thanks, Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: Change transmission fluid in my vehicle.
SirQuack #245052 02/05/09 06:02 PM
Is this an automatic?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #245054 02/05/09 06:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
What was your quote to get the fluid/filter changed, Randy? You definitely have a few miles on there, I'd be changing both if you plan on keeping it for a while.(don't use a dealer though, they'll charge upwards of double) Might be a pain in the a$$ to do yourself unless the cost of a mechanic is outrageous.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #245066 02/05/09 06:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
By "lurch" do you mean that is seems to rev a bit then suddenly take a lurch forward, as if it were slipping a bit and then catching? I am also assuming you mean this is an automatic transmission. Also, is there any unusual noise before/as it does this?

Changing the fluid is certainly a good idea but if the problem persists or you are hearing whining noises as above, then it may need work. However, if it comes to that, try dumping a bottle of this in to it.

Molly Slip

It's not a cure but can (depending on the issue) add tens of thousands of miles to the point where you eventually have to have the transmission repaired/replaced.

HOWEVER, as with all automotive problems, your best bet when you are not sure yourself is before trying any best intentioned advice, take it to a trusted mechanic who can take it for a drive and tell you what is realllly wrong.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
SirQuack #245071 02/05/09 06:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This is an automatic, right?

You could be just low on fluid. It's pretty easy to check the level yourself (in most cars).

Somewhere under the hood there should be a transmission fluid dipstick. It's basically like checking your oil. I'm almost positive that the last time I needed to check this, the manual for whatever car that was said the engine should be running and the transmission should be warmed up. Check the owners manual for the location and procedure on your Isuzu.

If the level is low, add whatever type of fluid that the owners manual recommends (specific brands need specific types). Your local auto parts store (AutoZone, Napa, Express AutoParts, etc, etc) should have it. That might just take care of your problem. Keep an eye on the level though, you might have a leak.

Look at the color too. Fresh automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is bright red. Almost pink. As it ages, little bits of metal are worn off your transmission and the ATF turns more brown, and eventually black. If the ATF dipstick reveals something that looks like used motor oil, you're in need of a full flush/change.

Most quick-E-lube places can do ATF changes. I want to say it's like $75, but I don't really know. Whether or not you trust them is entirely up to you. I was just at my Chevy/Pontiac dealer the other day for an oil change and I'm pretty sure that it said that ATF changes were like $99. Not too bad. You should be able to call around to different mechanics and/or dealerships for quotes. An ATF change is a pretty standard thing, so they ought to be able to quote you a price.

If it's a manual transmission, your clutch may be on it's way out. \:\(

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #245072 02/05/09 06:49 PM
My Volvo recommends the engine be running and you go through a specific set of steps to check the transmission fluid level on the dipstick. Check your manual.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
SirQuack #245073 02/05/09 06:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I had mine changed in my Civic just two days ago and it did make a big difference in the smoothness of the shifting. My mechanic charged me $101 for changing the ATF, oil and wiper blades. It seemed worth it to me. I used to change my own oil and do my own brake jobs but my life is too busy now.

davidsch #245097 02/05/09 07:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
take it to a trusted mechanic

Amen to that! I am lucky to have such a mechanic. He even calls me a jackass when I don't treat my vehicle right (it only takes one of him to convince me).

The fluid should be checked warm and [I think] with the engine running.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
PeterChenoweth #245102 02/05/09 07:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth

Look at the color too. Fresh automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is bright red. Almost pink. As it ages, little bits of metal are worn off your transmission and the ATF turns more brown, and eventually black. If the ATF dipstick reveals something that looks like used motor oil, you're in need of a full flush/change.

And the smell is near impossible to wipe from your skin. The only thing worse is diff fluid. Just thought I'd add that in to help justify the cost of garage change.

Good point about the flush/change. If it's already black, it needs a double run through of fluid. Empty, fill with new, let it churn a bit, drain again to rinse out the crap and then fill with clean again. I mention it just so it's not a surprise when you see it on the bill or if you decide to do it yourself.

On most vehicles, its a pretty easy job. just depends where they put everything and how easy it is to get under your car.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #245120 02/05/09 08:30 PM
J
J
As a mechanic, If you are noticing a surging effect it sounds like the torque converter lock up is slipping to me and a full fluid change MIGHT help or at least put off the inevitable repair for a little while. A quick way to tell if it is the converter clutch is to tap the brake pedal while it is doing the lurch/surge. Hit the brake pedal just hard enough to activate the brake switch but not so hard as to engage the brakes, if the surging stops you have found the culprit. It could also be slipping in O/D so shifting to 3rd or D or whatever you have to do to take O/D off in your vehicle, if the surge is gone with O/D out of the picture then you have an issue with the trans itself, most likely a one way clutch is not holding and an overhaul will be required. If the surging is still there then it could still be the trans and/orconverter clutch and it just isn't disengaging/working as it should, a plugged/restrictive fuel filter or worn fuel pump, plugged up injector, slight ignition misfire even, causing the surge as well as a myriad of other itmes I won't get into, but those are the most usual suspects from my experience.

I would say the easiest thing to do is to take it in for a full trans service including a flush, pan drop and filter/screen change, this way you can see if there is any debris in the pan. You can drop the pan yourself and do the filter etc, it can be a little messy if the pan doesn't have a drain plug. When you drain/remove the pain you are only draining about 1/3 of the volume out as the torque converter holds 10-14 liters/quarts on avg. and the pan hold 4-6 liters/quarts, so I would still look at taking it in for a fluid flush as well.

If you take it in for a flush it is a 1:1 fluid swap process, no fuss or mess.

And Murph is right about the smell of burnt trans fluid, it is quite possibly the worst smell there is, I think it is even worse then diff oil which comes in a close 2nd, IMO.

Last edited by jakewash; 02/05/09 08:33 PM.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics