Rate Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Axiom M80's
Ajax #245089 02/05/09 07:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
If three call you a jackass, get a saddle

Well giddyup, where do I sign up for a saddle! Actually, I may need more than one ;\)

Bob, you are way over the top now.

I hope you like the M80s when they arrive. If not, return them and move on to something else. Its only a set of speakers.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #245093 02/05/09 07:35 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
 Quote:
Its only a set of speakers

LOL You have forgotten where you are my friend...

Bob... Don't worry. You will soon be in sync with this crowd after about 20 mins with your M80's. Hang in there dude.

PS Warning: The Axiom s*** eatin grin stays a long time.
I've had mine 3 yrs after plenty of smacks.

Last edited by thedude_044; 02/05/09 07:38 PM.

M22's VP150 QS8's Onkyo TX503 Yamaha YST215 (sub)
thedude_044 #245095 02/05/09 07:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, I did ask for the saddle in the same post...

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
davidsch #245110 02/05/09 08:01 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
 Originally Posted By: davidsch
 Originally Posted By: wid

The speaker I want to own before I'm planting up daisies is a set of Maggies. Once I get the ok from the boss these m80s will be going to one of the kids.

What model of Maggies are you referring to? I would like to hear them one day as well.

That would be the 1.6, lovely sounding speakers imo.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

BoB/335 #245113 02/05/09 08:04 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Quote:
most replys were way off base

"All your base are belong to us"

Last edited by LT61; 02/05/09 08:07 PM.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #245135 02/05/09 09:15 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Bob, there are lots of fine speakers out there if you are willing to pay the price for them or spend time searching for a used set, I have listened to MAs and they are a great speaker nicely detailed, very smooth sounding, but I also found them to lack the low volume clarity of Axioms, as do many other higher priced speakers, IMO. I would love to have enough money to buy a set of MAs, or any of the other brands I felt compared to, or bested, the M80s, but I do not, at least not now, and the biggest selling point of Axiom is the price. If you have the money to buy some of these other brands of speakers, then by all means do so, as I do feel they are slightly superior to Axiom(sorry Ian), but at a premium that I and many others are not willing to pay. So if you can find a set of MA's, Paradigm Studio 100s, Focal 918's, or any ~$2500 speakers and up, for the same $1300 you have spent on the M80s then cancel your order and buy them.

All of this still comes down to how you are going to like the Axiom sound and I know all of these questions stem from the fact you bought them with out hearing them, the worst that can happen is you don't like them and you ship them back and you take a loss of ~$100. A very minor price to pay to know exactly how a system will sound in your home. Many boutique shops selling these other brands will charge a restocking fee about equal to this $100 for returning a set of speakers. So you are really not any worse off for not having heard them before purchasing.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
BoB/335 #245141 02/05/09 09:23 PM
B
BoB/335 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
B
 Originally Posted By: BoB/335
I was visiting another forum and someone was mentioning speakers they had tried. There was no other comment (good or bad) about M80's other than he had tried them.

I PM'd him (Not giving any names here. Hope this lives up to "internet etiquette") Here is his reply. I thought that some here may have an opinion to share about this.

I had the M80 V2. Good, very efficient much like the Paradigm Monitor, but after hearing the Monitor Audio RS8, I was hooked in that there was something I define as more balanced and defined with out a haarsh or bright high end. The Axiom was generally louder do to its efficiency but......

And yes, I understand that this is NOT a Paradigm speaker he is talking about.

Gee guys! Knock it off already!!!!!! All I did was ask about a speaker that I never heard of from guys who I trusted with an opinion. I have no idea how much they are and I am NOT interested in cancelling my order. This guy was "hooked" after listening to these Monitor speakers. I was just wondering how they were.
I can't believe that one after the other continue to jump on this bandwagon. How many times and how much clearer do I have to explain this question. And who's still missing from jumpin on me? Anyone else???

Last edited by BoB/335; 02/05/09 09:24 PM.
jakewash #245144 02/05/09 09:30 PM
B
BoB/335 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
B
Maybe I can change the topic of this thread. (Or at least try)

"but I also found them to lack the low volume clarity of Axioms"

Now that's an interesting statement. A newbie here was asking about Axiom M80's and someone from this forum made a blanket statement that you needed a room over 3000 cubic feet (or more) for the M80's to be a valuable buy. One of the reasons I went with Axiom was from the Why Axiom thread where someone stated about the low volume clarity and being well defined.

Oh nevermind! I don't want to know. Someone will think I'm stressing over my decision or something. Just ignore the above.

BoB/335 #245148 02/05/09 09:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It's important to choose the speakers you like but choosing the wrong CHAIR!! can cost you dearly!!

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
BoB/335 #245150 02/05/09 09:59 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Bob,

One thing I’ve learned over the past decade working with people, is that it is rarely WHAT you say, but HOW it is said that matters. In fact, body language alone can totally hose up your message although what you say and how you say it was perfect. You started down a rabbit hole with your curt response to Mark. Whether you meant to be curt or not, that how the message was received. Your question at that point became meaningless. Take that input for what it’s worth. I can assure you that I have taken my lumps on this board, many times. I’ve learned to be more careful how I say things. Either that or everyone else has just given up and gives me a wide berth.

Regarding your original question, I have not heard the speakers you mention. I do however have a whole slew of Axiom speakers, and have spent many hours listening to Paradigm, B/W, Wilson….bla-bla-bla. I own a set of Wharfendale Opus 2’s that I use for my two channel rig. Way different sound than the Axioms, but at the same time, similar. A contradictory statement I know, but it’s true. They are both detailed, sharp, hard hitting mid range and plenty of low end. However, they are uniquely different and I prefer different music on each. Alison Kraus sounds incredible with the Axioms. Breaking Benjamin sounds horrible. Pink Floyd DSOTF on SACD sound terrific on both, but the edge goes to the M80’s. Older mixed hard rock and heavy metal sound better on the Opus 2’s.

Really, no jabs intended, but when you ask someone what they think about how a thing sounds or looks, you get their bias that they have developed through their own life experiences. I absolutely hate cooked pees………YUK-YUK-YUK. But I love split pee soup…..

Again, there was nothing wrong with your question and I doubt anyone here would steer you one way or the other. What started the feather ruffling was the response, which I’m sure you probably did not intend to come across the way it was received.

I hope you stick around. You have a good wit to you. You’ll get along just fine and be asking advice about Vacuum cleaners before long and Peter will be helping you fix your laptop…. You wont find a more helpful, courteous and friendly on-line community than here. That’s why I still visit. I am not a forum junky or have a lot of time to kill sitting on my ass.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters