Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Daytona 500 picks
Worfzara #246060 02/10/09 01:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The 'minor-league' (Nationwise) series just under the Cup series did run V-6s for a couple of years but they still had to run the restrictor plates on the superspeedways, some initially thought with the new 'boxy' car that recently came out for Cup they could eliminate the plates but it didn't, they did open them up a little giving the cars a little more power for passing.

Keep in mind also that the restrictor plates are only used on the 2.5 mile superspeedways so the cars are faster on the 1.5 mile tracks than the big tracks. Crazy huh.

You really need to view a race in person to appreciate just how good the drivers are. I've been to over 70 Cup races over the years and enjoyed every single one of them, but nowadays I'll only hit one or maybe two.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #246066 02/10/09 01:58 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Wow, 70, that's just awsome Rick! My wife and I have been to a few; Pocno, Martinsville (twice), and Vegas. Hoping to get to the Coca Cola 600 this spring. I've never seen a night race, would like to do that next.

You are right, I don't care how good your audio system is, there is nothing like hearing 43 of this cars, in person, live, race by you when the green flag waves.

paul

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #247116 02/16/09 03:18 AM
M
aficionado
aficionado
M
Imagine that, a Wisconsin Boy wins the Daytona 500. Just as I predicted. ;\) Not really, my pick was Tony Stewart. Oh well....On Wisconsin

M80's(2), VP150, QS8's(2), M3's(4)
merchman #247119 02/16/09 03:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Man you guys have a lot of good drivers that come from your area Ed, must be something in the water up there! ;\)

I actually like Matt and am glad to see him get back into the winners circle again ... don't know if it was ever mentioned, but I'm wondering if he is the first driver to win the Daytona 500 after starting dead last in the field?

Tony looked tough, Kyle looked awesome ... too bad it ended short.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #247152 02/16/09 07:24 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I am a pretty big Kenseth fan, as Martin was the one to bring him into the sport, so ya, really happy here, but I still hate it when these races are cut short. I know a win is a win, but to me it still seems like a hollow victory. I remember this happened to Micheal Waltrip a few years ago too.

What was going on with Dale JR? Missing pits, aggressive driving, causing the big one, that's not like him. He looked strange in his interview too. Seemed to me like a bit of a scatterbrain. He'll be interesting to watch over the next few races.

Some scary tire issuses with Jeff Gordon, not good, but had a really fast car. I think Mark and Jeff could have had something for a wind had they gone back racing.

paul

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #247177 02/16/09 02:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Paul I believe Jr was way too 'Amped' up this entire week, blew a pit stop during the dual 150s and blew two of 'em during the 500? I couldn't believe his reply to Berggren's question regarding how he could have missed his pit stall during that early caution flag "I'm under a lot of pressure man!" ... yea, right. ;\) I believe NASCAR blew it whenever they assessed the 5 lap penalty to Jason Lefler during the Nationwide race but let Jr. slide with that retaliation move on Vickers taking out the front runners. Gotta feel for Kyle on that one.

Maybe Jr is on the same drugs the Gibbs were taking whenever they hired that 18 year old to jump into the 20 car, it's pretty bad whenever a team mate had to get in the car during practice because Logano didn't know what the car 'was supposed to feel like in the draft' ... my lord.

Overall I thought the race pretty much sucked and was one of the worse 500's I've seen in a very long time, glad to see Kenesth win but that race reinforces my reasons why I believe restrictor plate racing isn't good racing. Also NASCAR totally blew it by having the Daytona 500 start so late in the afternoon, the 'Great American Race' can't even finish due to rain and darkness? Wow.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #247195 02/16/09 04:36 PM
shareholder in the making
He missed his pit stall 3 times?! That's just awful.

They can't race in the dark at a superspeedway? That's also awful!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #247204 02/16/09 05:28 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ken NASCAR has a painted box for each pit stall and their rules are that the car has to be pitted inside of the box, but due to the angle the cars has to enter the pit box sometimes they do allow the right rear tire of the car to be outside of the box but will penalize if any other part of the car is outside of the lines. On Thursday's qualifying races Dale Jr slid through his box and had to back up into the box before they could pit the car, on Sunday's 500 he completely missed his pit stall and had to go all of the way around the track to pit again and then later in the race he had both right side tires outside of the box but the crew went ahead and pitted the car and NASCAR penalized Dale Jr a 1 lap penalty ... in Jr's haste to get his lap back on the track he made a very aggressive move causing a multi-car wreck that cost at least three of the front running cars a chance at the win.

They can race in the dark at a Superspeedway, they have the lighting to do so but yesterday they said it would have probably been 11 p.m. before they could dry the track to race again and called it. They just started running the Daytona 500 later in the evening due to prime time TV coverage and my point is that if the race would have started earlier in the day like it used to it would have been finished before the rains cause it to be called. But I know mother nature is going to do what she wants to do on her time so my complaint is moot ... other than the fact that if the race started earlier in the day NASCAR wouldn't be so jumpy about calling it.

Calling a Daytona race is a peeve of mine through experience...

Years ago they ran the July 4th Daytona race at 10 in the morning so that they could get it in prior to the afternoon rain but moved it to a 8 p.m. start time to get the prime time coverage. My last two trips to the July race had both start times delayed by at least two hours due to rain so the race subsequently didn't end until after midnight and I didn't get back home until 4 and 5 in the morning, this happened two years in a row so I gave up my seats for Daytona and have not returned since.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #247210 02/16/09 06:15 PM
Ah, ok. I could see the rain being a definite issue.

What peeved me (and has a couple of years) is the Indy 500. I watch it on TiVo, and I've lost the end of the race a couple of times. Drives me up the wall.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #247223 02/16/09 06:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ken I just recently noticed that whenever I DVR a show (Comcast cable) it now has an optional extended time if you choose, that comes in handy and I usually go for an additional 30 minutes. I've noticed in the past if a show is being recorded during the allotted time frame it will often skip the last minute or two of the show ... aggravating!

Rick
Our Room

smile
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615