Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: SQ8 Question?
tomtuttle #248785 02/25/09 12:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I think 7.1 is massively over-rated, especially in smaller rooms.

I think 7.1 improves the cohesiveness of the surround sound-field in any size room. It isn't so much about distances as it is angles.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Smitty4ut #248872 02/25/09 04:22 AM
shareholder in the making
Smitty, your QS8s, even when mounted on the back wall, are still side surrounds in a 5.1 setup. They should therefore be separated as widely as possible, even by varying distances, which can be compensated for by correct level calibration.

As has been discussed, actual biamping can't be accomplished with a Denon or any other receivers which have such a "feature", so yes, it's essentially meaningless marketing. There's only one main power supply section in a receiver and the output transistors in the several channels operate as valves to meter that limited supply out to the connected speakers as needed. The transistors have no power of their own and simply funneling the power to a speaker with two sets of output transistors(one previously unused for back surrounds)instead of one can't double the power, as some imagine, or increase it by any amount.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #248900 02/25/09 01:48 PM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Smitty, your QS8s, even when mounted on the back wall, are still side surrounds in a 5.1 setup. They should therefore be separated as widely as possible, even by varying distances, which can be compensated for by correct level calibration.

As has been discussed, actual biamping can't be accomplished with a Denon or any other receivers which have such a "feature", so yes, it's essentially meaningless marketing. There's only one main power supply section in a receiver and the output transistors in the several channels operate as valves to meter that limited supply out to the connected speakers as needed. The transistors have no power of their own and simply funneling the power to a speaker with two sets of output transistors(one previously unused for back surrounds)instead of one can't double the power, as some imagine, or increase it by any amount.

Thanks again for the info. I will probably mount them at the couch ends for now, and then add the side surrounds later. That way I won't have to move the one, and make another hole in the wall. I am really looking forward to hearing the Q's.

I will probably remove the Bi-amping cables once I receive the Q's. I have to recalibrate everything anyway.

I am sure that I will have more questions once I get them hooked up, so thanks again for the help guys.

Trying to wait patiently, but not succeeding too well.

Smitty4ut #248903 02/25/09 02:12 PM
 Quote:
Trying to wait patiently, but not succeeding too well.

Patience is overrated. Unless you're a doctor and can't spell.

pmbuko #252953 03/21/09 04:28 PM
S
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Well I received my QS8's on Wednesday 3/18. I have them mounted, and calibrated now. They definitely have a fuller range than my JBL's did. I think that gives them a more natural sound. I also think that they give a fuller surround sound experience. I am very pleased with this purchase. Also adding the ED A2-300 as a second sub really helped fill out my system. Went to the movies with my wife on Friday. She said that the sound for the movie wasn't that good. I told that what I have at home is better than what the theater has, and that she was just use to watching movies there.

Thanks for all the help. Here is a link to some pics of my HT.

My HT Gallery

Smitty4ut #252954 03/21/09 04:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Really nice system you have Smitty!!

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #252972 03/21/09 06:59 PM
J
J
I've seen external tweeters before but I've never seen an external top mounted woofer before ;\)

Vey nice set up, those mains are very close to the side walls, I wonder how much better it could sound if you were able to move them a little away, I realize you have no option, just wondering aloud.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
tomtuttle #253159 03/23/09 01:02 AM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I think 7.1 is massively over-rated, especially in smaller rooms.

Tom,
7.1 makes a huge difference if you adjust the listener properly. Add 12 dB (dark Beer) to the listener (in quick succession) and 7.1 is perceived as a huge improvement in feeling enveloped by sounds, and visuals too actually, because the fr!@@!n room is spinning. Best to do this test in a friends HT as there is sometimes an adverse 'output effect' on the adjusted listener. The friend is also usually confused because during the listener 'output effect' he calls the friend by different names, such as,
Raaaalph, Haaaaaank, Huuuuugh! Listener may even get religion... OH GOD!!!

But Tom, this is something you really need to experience for yourself. Or, even better, let Ken be the 'adjusted listener' when he comes up there to visit. (cover the seats and spread a few drop clothes first though). \:D

Oh, hell. I hear Adrian coming, I've got to scoot. ;\)

PS. I hope it is not dinner time where you are. ;\)

Last edited by davekro; 03/23/09 01:04 AM.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082