Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: 3808 and PPPoE
MarkSJohnson #249523 02/28/09 06:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good to hear; well not great for Sat, but good for me.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #249531 02/28/09 07:45 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
OK thanks guys, I tried the next round of tests, with these results: I can't ping any of the devices on the network, requests always time out unless you ping the router itself or the address of the device you are already on, not sure what this means as all of the devices access the net freely except the Denon. Does this have to do somehow with firewall(s)?

Ran "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt and copied the Subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS Servers values all of the other computers are using into the Denon along with the IP address assigned by the router to the Denon, which appears as an active device in the router's view of the home network.

The 3808 continues to insist, "Network problem."

Three followup questions: 1) Should I put the same values in the fields of the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS? The ipconfig info just lists "DNS Servers" and gives a single value, not Primary and Secondary. 2) Proxy on the Denon should be set to "Off," no? Doesn't a proxy apply when you have to sign into your internet account like aol rather than having a direct always on connection such as I have? 3) Is there any chance that putting some device (WAP that the 3808 could plug directly into, not sure if that makes a bit of sense, I'm reaching) between the Denon and the att modem/router would improve the situation, i.e., something the 3808 would prefer to shake hands with better since it continues to give the cold shoulder to the modem/router?

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
PeterChenoweth #249546 02/28/09 09:14 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
Is the router's DHCP function enabled? Is that notebook set to acquire its IP/DNS/etc info automatically? If yes, and the Denon isn't able to get an IP address when it's set to it DHCP mode, then that's not a good sign. You may have some sort of compatibility issue.

I hate those combo DSL/router things. I am going to guess that's causing the problem. See if AT&T has any firmware updates for it.

You may have to go buy a 'real' router manufactured by a more mainstream company, like a D-Link or Linksys. Then you'd use the combo doodad as a Modem only, and use the new router to actually handle the routing/AP duties.

The Denon doesn't pick up an address even though it is in DHCP mode and the router has DHCP enabled, so as you say there seems to be a compatibility problem. It sounds like my idea of using the netgear router may have promise, would I have to somehow disable the routing capabilities of the combo modem in order to use the two in tandem?

SatKartr #249563 02/28/09 11:25 PM
shareholder in the making
If you can't ping the other devices from each other, you've definitely got a "network problem" as the Denon puts it.

As to the DNS, if you've only got one, just put it in the primary field. Proxy should definitely be set to off.

If you put a router after the att modem, you'd want to put all of your devices behind it so as to keep them on the same network. Part of the issue is that the att modem is already doing NAT (translating your outside ip address into multiple inside ip addresses) and because it's pretty generic to use 192.168.1.x, your existing router probably also uses that. It's a no-no to use the same network on both sides of the router, so that would undoubtedly break everything.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #249687 03/01/09 10:37 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
If you can't ping the other devices from each other, you've definitely got a "network problem" as the Denon puts it.

What type of problem would that suggest, or what possible route of correction? I now have two routers in series and I can ping either of the routers from the computers but no computer can ping any of the other computers.

Originally Posted By: kcarlile
If you put a router after the att modem, you'd want to put all of your devices behind it so as to keep them on the same network. Part of the issue is that the att modem is already doing NAT (translating your outside ip address into multiple inside ip addresses) and because it's pretty generic to use 192.168.1.x, your existing router probably also uses that. It's a no-no to use the same network on both sides of the router, so that would undoubtedly break everything.

Set things up this way, i.e., denon/computers-->netgear rp614v1 router-->att 2701hg-b gateway-->internet, and everything connects flawlessly with the exception of the Denon. Went onto the internet and upgraded the netgear router's firmware, ironically that now includes a UPnP button for me to leave unchecked.

The Netgear router can also see the Denon and lists this as an "attached device," however I have tried to set the Denon up as a DMZ computer which Peter suggested trying yet so far has not helped and for some reason after doing this and then reverting back to normal DHCP, it takes either router a while to notice the Denon again, so I'm in wait mode at the moment, not that I have a lot more tests I can think of. Actually when the Denon reappears I still have to try connecting with the correct values input for the new network, in which the default gateway value appears to be given by the netgear router (its LAN address) whereas the primary DNS value is given by the att cable/modem router (its LAN address), based on the "ipconfig" info given up by the computers, still I'm not holding my breath.

One thing: The MAC address listed on the back of the Denon is not the same as the MAC address that shows up in the router's device list, whereas the MAC addresses listed in each computer's "ipconfig /all" info is the same as the MAC addresses of the computers listed in the router device list . Not sure what this indicates, perhaps it provides a clue as to what is going wrong?

Finally there are a few threads on Google that suggest Netgear routers may not work/play well with the 3808, I could go out and buy a DLink but anticipate I will hold off until I have more info, e.g., some reason to believe that the router is the root, proximal, or distal cause of the problem.

SatKartr #249701 03/01/09 11:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: SatKartr

What type of problem would that suggest, or what possible route of correction? I now have two routers in series and I can ping either of the routers from the computers but no computer can ping any of the other computers.

Can you copy files between the computers? If so then this really sounds like a firewall(s) blocking the ping request. Which really isn’t an issue unless you just like pinging your computers or need to troubleshoot your connections.

Originally Posted By: SatKartr

One thing: The MAC address listed on the back of the Denon is not the same as the MAC address that shows up in the router's device list, whereas the MAC addresses listed in each computer's "ipconfig /all" info is the same as the MAC addresses of the computers listed in the router device list . Not sure what this indicates, perhaps it provides a clue as to what is going wrong

It sounds like you have MAC address filtering enabled which is not a bad thing but will only allow the MAC addresses listed to connect to your router. Can you edit the Denon’s MAC address in the router to match what is actually on it.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #249715 03/02/09 12:43 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: grunt
Can you copy files between the computers? If so then this really sounds like a firewall(s) blocking the ping request. Which really isn’t an issue unless you just like pinging your computers or need to troubleshoot your connections.
Yes and no, the Windows Home Network is a bit flaky because one of the computers uses MCE 2005, the other two computers use Vista. I've been able to do what I need to, share printers, etc., but overall it's been a bit hobbled with regard to reliability of file sharing between the MCE and Vista computers.

Also, right now I am initially only looking to connect the Denon to the internet and have even tried disconnecting all of the computers except the Denon to the router just to fire up a basic connection.

Originally Posted By: grunt
It sounds like you have MAC address filtering enabled which is not a bad thing but will only allow the MAC addresses listed to connect to your router. Can you edit the Denon’s MAC address in the router to match what is actually on it.
On the Netgear router that does not appear to be allowed and my impression is it is not allowed on the att modem either, I am still looking into this.

Where does MAC address filtering occur, in the router?

SatKartr #249723 03/02/09 01:51 AM
Yes, the MAC address filtering would be at the router--one of them. I'd guess it would be at the ATT router, myself, since you've had the problem with both. Take the Linksys out, and see if the MAC address of the Denon becomes accurate on the ATT router.

This is certainly a weird one.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
SatKartr #249724 03/02/09 01:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
IFAIK MAC address filtering is only on the wireless side, may be wrong, (sorry I’ve lost track of how your Denon is connected) so if you have a hard connection then that might not be it. But if it is you should be able to just disable it in the router’s settings and see if that works.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #249729 03/02/09 02:07 AM
There's a lot of reading to do here, but before I do that, has anyone mentioned checking the link speed settings of the Denon and the router to be sure they match?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters