Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: If QS8's were ceiling mounted...
grunt #250129 03/04/09 07:43 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: grunt
Ok first tell your camera to stop dropping acid. ;\)

Dean,
Tell me about it. I hate when it keeps gettin' into my stash, man. \:D

Quote:
If you haven’t already you might want to do some googling for primers on speaker placement and room acoustics. Not that we don’t like giving advice but you seem like the type of person who likes to roll there sleeves up and get into why and how things work. Here’s just one example of something to check out.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SFOQChOXcnQ/learn/learningcenter/home/speakers_roomacoustics.html

That is a great idea. That would help my thirst to understand. I do tend to let the perfect be the enemy of the very good. One of my 'issues' I struggle with, Doc. ;o)

Quote:
While acoustics is technically a science once you start getting away from simple shapes and patterns it gets so complicated, quantifying things becomes difficult. Throw various listeners into the mix and it becomes even more of an art than a science.

That makes sense.

Originally Posted By: davekro

2b) I'd love to hear more opinions on the degree of preference of an M22 vs. a VP150 center for my application.

Originally Posted By: grunt
I preferred to tonal balance between the M22 than the VP150. Something bothered me about the VP150 from the start but didn’t realize what it was because the VP150 didn’t sound perfectly balanced with the M80s in my room until I happened to experiment with a “phantom center” (using the mains to simulate a center speaker as in normal stereo). In some movies and all multi-channel music things sounded both richer and smother using the 2xM80s alone.

Once I got another M80 and M22s I experimented and found both were better tonal matches as centers for the M80 mains, however, because of the difference in position they still sound a little different but not as noticeable. Hell I can even hear differences between my mains because of their different positions in relation to the walls which is one of the reasons I‘m so uptight about symmetry. At the end of the day most people including an audio engineer friend don’t notice the differences (only one person has) the way I do. Based on a lot of reading I really do believe it has something to do with whatever has caused my dyslexia. Two possible symptoms of dyslexia are being easily distracted by sounds and hearing things not apparent to others. So take my issues with horizontal speakers with a grain of salt.

Thanks for that caveat. My sound discerning ability is not that of an audiophile, so I appreciate the perspective. (perfection in the way... again ;o)

Quote:
A couple things I noticed were that the farther away, my seating was only 6 feet, I got from the speakers the more balanced they sounded VP150 included. Also the farther, up to about 4 feet, they were pulled out from the front wall and/or TV screen the more balanced they sounded.

Given that my list. pos. is 12' from screen/center spkr, my ear not as discerning as many here and the fact that a vertical bookshelf would need to sit in front of the TV stand (a hard aesthetic pill to swallow), the VP150 might be just fine for me. I appreciate your words. It helps me see/understand better which hairs may not be worth splitting. A valuable lesson, indeed.

Quote:
when I called Noreen at Axiom to place my second order 1xM80... she must have wondered what the hell sort of 5.0 system I was creating because she hesitantly started to explain to me that "people usually need 2XM80s".

I would not of thought this fast either, but a funny reply might have been... well there is only room for one on my kayak! \:D

Quote:
Here are some articles to explain part of the theory and physics that my be behind why I prefer vertical to horizontal center speakers in general.
This introduction…
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs
…and conclusion…
http://www.audioholics.com/education/lou...evaluation.html
…explain it a little.
Cheers,
Dean

Excellent, thanks for the articles and idea.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
MarkSJohnson #250131 03/04/09 08:11 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Check out Jason's HT pics for photos of the high gloss cherry.

It IS an extra cost (15%?) and is available on all speakers. It gets raves around here whenever someone gets it! \:\)

Holy Cow is all I can say following Jason's project photos!!!
Mark, big thanks for these HG cherry pics. His walls are a somewhat similar color, carpet seems same color, with white base board like mine too. This really give me a sense of what the HG cherry looks like. I could not tell how light/dark it was. It is darker than I was hoping for, especially since my room has a lot of maple and my current Servo 15 sub (up front) is a nice lighter cherry. I do not think they would work for me. But seeing Jason's pics was almost like having them here to see how they looked! What a great thing to see and figure out.

Speaking to Brent today, he said HG cherry is 12% more. That would have been a tough expense to justify even if they did match the current cherry sub... well maybe not THAT hard. ;o)

So picturing Jason's room color, I need to pick between Beech and light maple. Adam's light maple M60's were gorgeous! He had a TV stand that matched which really made his fronts pop in light maple. If anyone has pics of light maple and beech set ups, that would be a big help. From these pics, i feel confident I could tell if they would fit my room or not!

Maybe there is a whole thread on pictures of set ups. I am really surprised the Gallery does not have more. I saw the light maple M3's, but could not get a sense from that pic.

Dave

RickF #250132 03/04/09 08:13 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Just look at Jason with his arms all stretched out, big smile on his face and surrounded by a boat load of gorgeous speakers ... I am so @(&%!_$ #%^@(&! of that little @*^_!&@ happy for him.

%^#@ %!* Way to go Jason! \:\)

LOL ! LOL ! LOL !

+1 \:D

Dave

CV #250133 03/04/09 08:20 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: CV
Rick, like you have any reason to get that excited over someone else's setup!

Well, I had to go see Rick's HT again. Boy that is VERY nice, Rick. Seeing your well done HT, my questioning of a VP150 vs. M22 as a center, is no longer. If A VP150 is good enough for Rick's set up.... what the heck was I questioning? ( must have been that acid stuff I got from Dean! \:D Glad to have one more decision finalized!

Dave

davekro #250142 03/04/09 12:49 PM
shareholder in the making
Dave:
Check out this thread for many photos of my Mansfield Beech Axioms.

There was a different "galleries" section of the site previously, and the one you see here in the forums is newer...relatively speaking. Many, such as myself, haven't migrated their photos over yet.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #250292 03/05/09 06:03 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Dave:
Check out this thread for many photos of my Mansfield Beech Axioms.

There was a different "galleries" section of the site previously, and the one you see here in the forums is newer...relatively speaking. Many, such as myself, haven't migrated their photos over yet.

Mark,
Thanks for the link. That was an awesome post. Great to see such quality pics of the Beech Axioms! What wood is your floor. It looks lighter than oak. The floors in the back half of my room (and walkway on left side) are oak. I also have an oak coffee table bout the same size as the one in the pics. I am still not sure if the Beeches will be close, but not match the huge amount of maple in my room. Your pics are helpful.
Thanks, Dave

Dave

davekro #250293 03/05/09 06:11 AM
My QS4s are mansfield beech. It's a very nice finish, but I prefer the darker wood.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
davekro #250302 03/05/09 12:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: davekro
What wood is your floor.

Hey Dave:
The floors are maple...

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ken.C #250314 03/05/09 02:26 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
My QS4s are mansfield beech. It's a very nice finish, but I prefer the darker wood.

Life's a beech, and then you dye.

CV #250320 03/05/09 02:53 PM
Life's a football game. You strive for touchdowns, but you often end up punning.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters