Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: NFL Players Boat Recovery...
Zimm #250701 03/07/09 09:37 AM
RickF Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
A 21' is not unusual at all to see 30 miles out on the water down our way, you just have to pick the right days. The boat these fellas were on, an Everglades 21' is certainly a capable boat and like a Boston Whaler is unsinkable, doesn't mean it still can't get you in trouble though.

Latest word is apparently they had engine problems and after 3-4 hours their mental state started to deteriorate. Anchor got caught and when they tried to pull it free rather than cut it loose, a wave crashed over the bow and swamped the boat, from there we have heard the remainder of their story. This is supposedly from one of the CG personnel. The fact that the engine cowling is off is a good indication that there may be some truth to this, anybody familiar with the new Yamaha outboard knows how difficult it would be to accidentally unlatch the cowling while upside down.

Again, just because it's new doesn't mean it can't have problems ... just about four months after we bought our brand new boat we lost complete electric 13 miles out while anchored and bottom fishing, couldn't get either engine started and the radio fuse blew, scared the bejesus out of me but luckily the seas were calm and another boater happened to see us and radio SeaTow, four hours later we were being towed back to port. I now carry more safety gear than I hopefully we'll ever need and those crappy little shotgun shell flares ... they've been replaced by multiple flares that would make the Dept. of Defense proud. \:\)

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #250725 03/07/09 03:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
One thing I've not understood since I started boating is seeing so many people not wearing lifejackets. If I'm not mistaken, in Canada you are not required to wear them but to have them easily available(on deck?) in case of an emergency. I think as boat sizes get smaller it becomes more prudent to wear them, the ones these days are quite comfortable compared with years ago. When I had my boat, generally I wore a PFD all the time and insisted anyone aboard wear one too, when the boat was being driven, then left it up to the person if they wanted to wear it while fishing/lounging. Not wearing a PFD to me is a little like not wearing a seatbelt in a car. Wearing one doesn't gaurantee your safety but increases your chance of survival exponentially...were those players wearing life jackets?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #250968 03/09/09 07:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I generally agree, but I will point out that temperature can play a role here. It can get real hot in the sun in the Gulf of Mexico. Life Jackets can become your own personal pressure cooker. We keep them handy, but only vest up in bad weather runs - which we seek to avoid!

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #250991 03/09/09 11:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I agree with the 'pressure cooker' synopsis Charles, they do get rather hot, esp if it is a darker colour in addition. I do most of my fishing in relatively small water where the shoreline is usually within half a mile at most. As you say, the weather makes a lot of decisions for us, when boating...if it gets too bad, we just don't go out.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #250995 03/10/09 12:50 AM
RickF Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
We do the same as you Zimm, keep them handy but vest up during bad weather, which can happen in a hurry during the summer months down here. I always watch the weather very close, from several different sources and typically during the summer will leave the dock in the wee hours of the morning and try to be back near shore in the very early afternoon before the weather starts building in the afternoon.

I believe the NFL guys did have their vest on, some sources say they went back and retrieved them after the boat took the wave and turned over ... those fellas just didn't have any luck at all on their side that day, especially if in fact it was a broke down engine that caused them to stay that long.

Rick
Our Room

smile
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup