Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Thanks for Visiting my Home Theater Micah!
Micah #250865 03/08/09 08:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mica's post republished with the working links. Micah - FYI, the only thing you had wrong is that the img link has to all be in one continuous line between the tags, and each img link has to end with the ".jpg" part. The rest of the link, starting with the question mark, just needs to be deleted before posting.

Jason

===============

Here we see Steve throwing in something that is sure to knock my socks off...

Here Steve sits watching 'Nemo' while Amy and I sit in back enjoying the view...

Another angle of the same...

Steve and I take a brief time out for some refreshments...

Amy and Steve drunk on Absinth...

And now we say goodbye to our gracious host. It was fun, I'll definately be back for this Axiomite party everyone's talking about!!!

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
SRoode #250866 03/08/09 08:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
I did notice some tapping on my EP800 on the left during the fishbowl scene in "Finding Nemo". My guess is it's one of the wires inside of the cabinet hitting a driver during it's excursion (we were really blasting the system, the room was literally shaking).

Steve, I've experienced this as well and according to Ian it's something that needs to be tweaked with the timing algorithm in the DSP. I believe what you are hearing is actually the driver "bottoming out" not conflicting with the wires inside or any other obstruction.

You only notice it at very high volumes and on scenes with extreme bass ("The Pulse" server room scene will bring it out quite clearly). It's quite rare to hear this because it requires a combination of very high volume and very deep bass, but it sounds like they're working this in future code revisions as well. Even if they don't it's not that big of a deal to me, but it is on the Axiom radar from what I understand.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #250869 03/08/09 09:30 PM
SRoode Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Jason,

Thanks for the updated links, as well as your input! We were playing "Finding Nemo's" Fishbowl scene at about 100 db, so I guess that would cause the perceived rattle.

I am sure the replacement amp will fix this with no problems.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
SRoode #250871 03/08/09 09:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Very nice writeup and pictures fellas, Steve that is an extremely nice place you have ... congrats

Rick
Our Room

smile
Micah #250872 03/08/09 09:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Micah
"M80's...If they are bright then I like bright."

Micah,
I'll agree, you do appear to be a 'bright' guy. ;o)
Thanks for adding your journey to Axioms. I too was originally looking at Paradigm (Studios), and feel very glad to have ordered my Axioms two days ago. If you plan on buying new, then ordering after you return sounds fine. But if you order Factory Outlets to save 10% over the 5% multi speaker discount, you might want to consider ordering now. That way part of your (painful) 4-5 wk wait time will be in Europe. Pretty sure speakers won't pop into your mind much there! AFTER I finally ordered mine, I realized I could have ordered a week or so prior and could probably have called in any minor decision change on color or to change a pair to a diff. model. Doouh! Oh well, I'm in the queue now. \:\)

Have a fun trip.
PS. $4,000 us won't buy much more than a gondola ride with the exchange rate these days, so don't worry about needing th e$4k over there. Unless, of course, you might, well, stay! ;o)

Last edited by davekro; 03/08/09 09:48 PM.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
davekro #250874 03/08/09 10:33 PM
SRoode Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Dave,

VERY detailed drawing! I would say that your original position for the rears was too far back. If you can place them about where the fridge is located, and angle them down, you will get a nice rear effect. Your wife will not be blasted at this location, and it's closer to the perfect oval setup.

BTW. To make it better, try to bringing the fronts a bit more forward. 1 ft or so. Think of trying to make an oval from the primary listening position, elongated top to bottom.

Last edited by SRoode; 03/08/09 10:34 PM. Reason: typo

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
davekro #250876 03/08/09 10:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Beautifull HT Steve, sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. I'm wondering what was going through your head(second photo) as you were loading the DVD.

You should have put on a dark suite, a cigarette and in a Rod Serling voice.....

"You're travelling through another dimension, a dimension of not only sight and sound......The Axiom Zone"

Doo-da-doo-doo...doo-da-doo-doo....

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
myrison #250877 03/08/09 11:07 PM
F
old hand
old hand
F
lovely home Steve..I also noticed the lack of snow...we are still waiting to feel the effects of global warming up here in Canada.

M80-QS8-VP150-EP600-A1400-8
STR-DA5300ES BDPS5000ES.

Mark
Family Man #250878 03/08/09 11:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
No snow in S. Ontario, the rain/mild weather washed the remainder away over the last week...but too early to declare spring, it's ringing the doorbell though.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
SRoode #250881 03/09/09 12:21 AM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
Dave,

VERY detailed drawing! I would say that your original position for the rears was too far back. If you can place them about where the fridge is located, and angle them down, you will get a nice rear effect. Your wife will not be blasted at this location, and it's closer to the perfect oval setup.

BTW. To make it better, try to bringing the fronts a bit more forward. 1 ft or so. Think of trying to make an oval from the primary listening position, elongated top to bottom.

Steve,
Are you thinking that the long, wider ends of the oval would be the front speakers at one end and backs at the other, with the sides being the 'compressed' smaller dimension of the oval? Or the opposite.

I guess I need to change more on that drawing than I recall. :o) Dean had suggested as you say, moving the fronts forward and centering the left between the shelf and the TV. Moving the RF to a symmetrical position leaves both about 20" from TV. Depending on the WAF, if a little wider does not incur a negative affect from the LF being nearer the nick knack shelf, I can experiment with that. Room/sound stage center[SSC] (just left of primary list. pos.) is pretty close to 12' from both (1' forward) fronts as well as the SL & SR. So the forward part of the sound field is close to a semi circle.

Position A: If I placed the backs 7'straight back from the (front) room/SSC point this would put the QS8's in line with the right 1/3 of the fridge. This diagonal measurement to the SSC would be ≈ 9'. Back of room sound for the BWF (blasting wife factor), would be over part of the dining room table (not so good). Tilting it down would further point he sound towards that unfavorable BWF area.

Position B: If I placed the backs 6'straight back from the (front) room/SSC point this would put the QS8's in line with just behind the end of the counter. This location would be visually closer to an imaginary point between kitch./d. room ant he living room portion of the room, which I think would 'look' better. But would this placement be 'less good' enough to move back to a 'maybe less nice looking place'? The diagonal measurement to the SSC would be ≈ 8'(assuming 12' apart. less if moved closer to center). Back of room sound for the BWF (blasting wife factor), would be less intrusive. Tilting QS8's down would still negatively impact the BWF area. Also, pointing QS8's down would complicate my plan to be able to reach up and swivel the 8's toward the back of the room for 7.1 music listening for parties, when most hang out in the kitchen and dining room. Or for me when working at my desk, for that matter (DAF, Dave approval factor... I want an acronym too! ;o)

I cannot quote any data to support this, but I thought the quad polars, did not matter much if any for pointing down vs. straight forward. Am I mistaken?

As you can tell, I always er on the side of TMI (to much information. ;\) Basically, I'm wondering if (B) would be much of a SQ compromise? Also, with backs 12' apart, they would be more than the fronts ≈ 9'-10' apart. I'd guess with QS8's that would not matter much.

If you made it through this far, thanks for stickin' in there! \:\)

PS. Sorry to poach here and distract from the joy of Micah and Girlfriend's Excellent Adventure at Steve's iMax Theater/Bar and Grill/Poker Room. But I was too tempted to tap a pro for HT advice. (Micah, how'd Steve ever get you guys to leave! ;o)

Last edited by davekro; 03/09/09 12:32 AM.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082