Page 1 of 2 1 2
HP Media Server – Can’t see it in explorer
#251176 03/11/09 12:08 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M

I think I’m going to have to send Peter a plane ticket this time…..

I’m not sure what in the hell I did this time, but my file folder for my Media Server disappeared and I’ve spent a couple hours trying to find out why without any luck….

I think I messed something up the other day when I installed a new router because that’s the only ‘change’ I’ve made. I have a wired home network, but my router was giving me troubles so I bought a new one. I went to BB and they didn’t have one single wired router to buy, so I bought a Linksys RWT160Nv2. I did not set up it up for wireless access, (although I think I will if I can figure out what I’ve screwed up so far). I used one of the ports for my eight port switch and the other three for the rest of my lan connections.

Everything ‘works’, meaning I have internet and home network access. But, when I pull up the Easylink Advisor window, I have two items that don’t have names. They just say “network device”. I think one of them is my Squeezebox receiver. No idea what the other one could be.

So anyway, before I installed the new router and ran the Lynksys set up wizard, I could go into windows explorer and navigate to the server file folders. They are no where to be found in windows explorer now. If I open up the HP Server desktop shortcut, their all there under the Network folder tree, which looks just like the regular windows explorer folder tree.

Any ideas what’s going on? I’m pretty sick of windows help windows.

I am running Vista if that is of any importance.

Re: HP Media Server – Can’t see it in explorer
michael_d #251299 03/11/09 07:06 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I found the problem. My Norton's firewall is blocking the server. Now I just need to figure out how to configure the server within the firewall settings.

michael_d #251323 03/11/09 09:30 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Mike,

I just set up an EX485 and added 3 - 1TB HDDs (unit came with a 759 GB). Also bought a Popcorn Hour A-110. Moving all of my DVDs to the server and streaming through the Popcorn Hour. Very Cool.

Please understand I am particularly unqualified to explain how this stuff all works, most especially with networks.

Does your server support N routers?

Do you have Samba turned on in the Server?

Have you tried to map the Server as a network drive?

Some resources/forums that might be helpful:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/ (scroll down on the front page on this one; they have an article on configuring your firewall)

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/

Hopefully something here will be helpful.

Ray3 #251425 03/12/09 02:36 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I have the 475. It came with two 500 gig drives. I use it for my music files and Squeezebox Duet only. I'm enjoying this set up quite a bit.

The problem was / is definately my Norton's firewall. I had to go into Norton's and manually configure the server's IP address for file sharing on my network. Not sure if I did it write, but it works now.

What in the heck is Samba?

Have you upgraded the server memory yet? I think that's my next little IT project. The thing is painfully slow.

michael_d #251428 03/12/09 02:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What do you find slow with the HP server?

Is it SqueezeCenter or some other things? So far, I have SC running on 3 computers and they are all slow (and one as 4 Gigs) while Firefly running on the HP server is the fastest install of Firefly I ever had.

If it is the "Home Server Console", did you install PVConnect? If so, uninstall it as it makes that crapping app (the console) very, very slow.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #251433 03/12/09 03:03 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Ya, it's Squeezcenter that's slow. I was hopeing I could upgrade the memory to 2 gig and improve that. http://www.myhomeserver.com/?p=12

Not sure if I installed PVConnect or not. What is it?

michael_d #251436 03/12/09 03:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
PCConnect is a 3rd party media connect. It is an "add in" in your Home Server Console (same place where you see the anti-virus).

If you upgrade the RAM and it improves SqueezeCenter, let me know! But I have some doubts. They improved nagivation quite a bit in one of the upgrade last year (7.3.1, I think). They are constrained by requests for "album art" that is sometimes required for one screen that you just pass through and then have to wait until the command is properly processed to see the new menu.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #251451 03/12/09 03:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You guys are making me jealous. I was considering a NAS/RAID a few months ago when my LaCie NAS took a dive, taking all my home videos with it. I'm not willing to pay the $3500 to recover it so I'm just going to hang on to it for a while. I figure I will really only look at those vids when my kids are about to get married. By then, recovery should be about $20...

I've already tried SpinRite, DiskWarrior and everything imaginable. It's dead...

I was looking at the HP Media Smart because my company has a chip in it. Then I looked at Drobo but I can't stomach paying $150 for network connectivity. THAT is a rip off. Bummer since the Drobo seems to be one of the best (and most $$) out there.

I actually ended up subscribing to Amazon's S3 service and using JungleDisk on my Mac. It allows me catastrophic, off site backup for really cheap. I now use it for scheduled backup of my photos and videos. For 13GB, I'm paying about $2.50/mo. Highly recommend it for off site backup and ease of use.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 03/12/09 03:38 PM.
EFalardeau #266900 07/22/09 09:02 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau

If you upgrade the RAM and it improves SqueezeCenter, let me know! But I have some doubts.

I just got around to upgrading the RAM. I went with 2 gigs. I installed this stick.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231119

Squeezcenter is much more responcive now. The user guide was excellent too. Very simple. Just don't mess up the two ity-bity screws.

michael_d #266903 07/22/09 09:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the tip. I might just do that! My SqueezeCenter currently runs on my big computer, but I would prefer to move it back to the home server.
EDIT: Just ordered the RAM!

See Mojo's signature
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082