Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 114 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 113 114
Re: Got Wood?
Adrian #252997 03/21/09 10:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Anyone own a router out there(the wood kind of course)? I'm looking at a Triton router, seems to have some good features on it, also considering a Milwaukee.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #253005 03/21/09 11:26 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
I'll abstain re: the router since we've already PM'd about it.

What you were saying regarding the Home Improvements is exactly my problem. The two major areas where I want to do work (the kitchen and the main bathroom) really will require a total rebuild as far as I'm concerned.

For example, here is our pantry, off the kitchen:

We have to replace the faucet and sink. If we do that, we have to rebuild the counters from where the old big-azz sink was. And, we have to redo the backsplash.

I already need to redo the drawers (not visible on the lower right) and the floor is dark, ugly and in poor shape. Oh yeah, the floor is asbestos too.

Our main bathroom is the same type of thing. We only have a freestanding tub that we converted with a portable shower hose, permanantly mounted (the plumbing side of the tub is in front of the window, so there's no wall). If we remove the tub, we would likely replace it with a standing shower and it would need to be moved to another location. To do that, we would have to move the radiator. Replace the old sink, cabinet and toilet, and we would have to replace the flooring. This is the bathroom that is prone to pipe freezes in the winter, and the pipes go right above the windy in the pantry photo. So, it would be dumb not to take care of that while we're doing everything else.

Before we know it, we've got $20,000 worth of work to do in the bathroom and $50,000 in the kitchen!

So yeah.... I'm hesitant to get myself into it! Especially with the "frustration factor" of having a kitchen or your main bathroom (only place to shower!) under construction!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #253012 03/22/09 12:38 AM
axiomite
axiomite
For the kitchen, why not consider keeping the cabinets but replacing the doors only, replace the counter top(a nice granite one) and new sink, and backsplash. Then ceramic the floors. I'm sure you could do this for less than $5G total, probably less than $3 if you bought yourself a Freud rail/stile cutter ;\) You could make your own counter top from 3/4" ply and ceramic the top of it, as another option(cheaper, still looks nice).

You can get a stand-up shower/tub combo if you have the room for it. Some of these are in 2 or 3 sections to make it easier to move into place and install, also some have a closed top vs open top. Getting involved with a lot of plumbing changes is something I'd only do if you're going to stay in your house. Why not get a couple of estimates with no obligation, you might steal some ideas from the contractor!

Without getting too personal, Mark, are your pipes exposed on the outside of the house?

MarkSJohnson #253017 03/22/09 01:25 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Good idea on the thread Mark. Many years ago when internet forums were the ‘new’ thing, I stumbled onto one called Badger Pond Woodworking. I was very fortunate to get some sage advice when I first started dabbling in woodworking. I had conversations with some very reputable individuals and authors of books. Sadly, the forum was shut down as it was being run from an individual’s home PC and he just couldn’t afford to keep it running. I haven’t found another since then that had the same friendly atmosphere. It was similar to these boards…..

So anyway, my history with woodworking is about like everyone else’s. I am self taught and consider myself a novice. I learned quite a bit watching Norm’s show. He’s one of my hero’s..LOL. Working with my hands is something I enjoy. It really doesn’t matter what it is, it just comes naturally to me. I have no other talents, unfortunately… Woodworking relaxes me. My day job can be pretty stressful and this is a good distraction for me to ‘turn it all off’. I love the smell of fresh cut hardwoods and the hum of a finally balanced table saw. I build all sorts of stuff. From furniture (no chairs!) to cabinets to houses. I justify the expense of tools and machines by the fact that they cost less than what I would pay a professional to do for me. I do some odd things for friends / family and they pay me what it costs me for materials and tools, plus they do me favors (it works). I have an LLC and one of my ‘companies’ is md woodworks. I also do odd remodels, finish work and act as general contractor for home building (md construction). I make just enough to show a profit and keep the IRS from hunting me down. My other business is md motor works. I build high end street / strip and race engines. I haven’t done much with this the last two or three years though. I don’t really have a shop large enough for engine stands and woodworking machines. Plus, assembly lube, grinding dust and sawdust don’t mix well…. Some day I hope to be in a position financially where I can make enough to make ends meet doing this, but not so much I no longer enjoy it. That’s the ‘plan’ anyway. I suppose I should mention I absolutely HATE finishing. I do not have a spray booth, so everything is by brush and it friggin sucks.

Mark,

I love the maple desk. Is that curly maple? Very, very nice work. The mortise cutter I bought is a Delta bench top. It’s not the one I want, but I do not have room for a free standing unit. I went with Delta because I already have a set of cutters that I bought years ago with a Delta drill press attachment. I never did use it because I went out and bought a Rigid drill press and the attachment won’t fit. I ordered it from Amazon and they sent it to me with free shipping. All other places I looked wanted about $250 to ship one to me. It was a no-brainer. I have a cabinet to build that I plan to use M/T joinery, so I hope to try it out next week.

I also use a Rigid table saw. I see that I’m not alone. I really want a cabinet saw with a 50” fence, but I just don’t have room for one. The Rigid sucks when working with sheet goods, but I’ve learned to deal with that. I use an Incra miter gauge, have for years and absolutely love that thing. You’ll love yours too.

I built my own router table. I used Norm’s router table plan and love it too. I use a 3 ½ horse Hitachi plunge router with it. I made it a wee bit larger than the plan, but basically followed it pretty close. If anyone is in the market for a router table, I recommend building this one. The plan even comes with a video. It’s straight forward and simple.

A few other tools I’ve acquired and use frequently: Jet 6” joiner, Jet 12” bandsaw, Rigid 13” plainer, Jet dust collector, Porter Cable 24” dovetail cutter with adjustable templates and sliding dovetail template (the ‘old’ style). I have several routers, but always tend to grab my old faithful Porter Cable. I use a Dewalt biscuit cutter a lot too. Then of course there’s a few grand worth of misc router bits, table saw blades, dado cutters, jig saws, Betsy clams (never, never can you have enough clamps). I have an assortment of pneumatic nailers and staplers. My favorite is my old Makita 18 gauge brad nailer. Another thing I use all the time is a table saw sled that I built. I use it for cross cutting panels on the table saw. I can’t believe how long I struggled without this thing.

michael_d #253021 03/22/09 02:06 AM
J
J
Rigid table saw here as well.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #253023 03/22/09 02:28 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
 Quote:
my decision to not photograph concerts this year

Okay, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I mean, if you weren't forsaking this gig for something during which you could lose a finger or worse, I'd really wonder about you.

I jealous of all y'alls talent and skills.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #253090 03/22/09 08:20 PM
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
For the kitchen, why not consider keeping the cabinets but replacing the doors only, replace the counter top(a nice granite one) and new sink, and backsplash. Then ceramic the floors. I'm sure you could do this for less than $5G total, probably less than $3 if you bought yourself a Freud rail/stile cutter ;\) You could make your own counter top from 3/4" ply and ceramic the top of it, as another option(cheaper, still looks nice).

See, this is why I need you as a neighbor. You're so confident that you make this stuff sound easy! (Well, I already have bought a rail/stile bit set in anticipation of this and other projects!). And, what do I do with the asbestos-laden flooring? Bury it in my my neighbor's backyard?

I actually would only replace the cabinet doors (and matching face trim). Part of the "experiment" within building that spice rack was matching the finish to the finish that's (freakin') everywhere in this kitchen.. including the walls!

I'm not sure how well I would do with the granite or tile counters. I really think I'd have to leave that to experts.

Much of the problem here is that nothing is exactly square or level, so everything always has to be jury rigged.

You can get a stand-up shower/tub combo if you have the room for it. Some of these are in 2 or 3 sections to make it easier to move into place and install, also some have a closed top vs open top. Getting involved with a lot of plumbing changes is something I'd only do if you're going to stay in your house. Why not get a couple of estimates with no obligation, you might steal some ideas from the contractor!

Yeah, the enclosure is what we were planning. We're planning on being here for a long haul, because it's a good location for the business.

Without getting too personal, Mark, are your pipes exposed on the outside of the house?

No, but they are above that pantry in an area that's just open to the rear porch roof. I cut a good sized hole in the pantry ceiling and was surprised to see a large uninsulated area that had air at about -15° pouring out of it as if it were a wide-open window. I put a square of plywood over it and told myself I'd cut it bigger in March/May and try to see exactly what's up there!

MarkSJohnson #253093 03/22/09 08:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have a regular "Day" job - my wife and I also buy houses and fix them up. The original intent was to flip them but the bottom fell out and we fix them up and rent them out. We went slow enough that we were not impacted. We bought all the houses low enough that the rent we collect is almost double the mortgage payment. When you buy houses like this, often you get into serious renovation work. It amazes me that people will just ignore water leaks until their entire bathroom or kitchen floor is rotten - including the joists underneath. My brother showed me the ropes - the first time you take your circular saw and set it to 1 1/2 inch deep and then cut the floor out is a bit intimidating. SO - you get into some rough woodwork when you start sistering joists and jacking up sagging floors.

On the lighter side, I have built cabinets where I took some fir that had fine grain and routed down a side to make it look like the tongue and groove paneling that was frequently used in the 60's. They came out pretty good. One christmas I did a lot of trays for all the ladies in the family. I'd post some pics if someone can point me to a thread that walks me through the pic posting process........

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #253094 03/22/09 08:55 PM
OP Offline
Posting photos on the Axiom boards isn't too bad.

Open a free account at Photobucket.com. Check out this FAQ and the "Photobucket Overview" questions on the left. You'll want to make your photos smallish so they don't end up gigantic when posted.

After you've uploaded images, hover over the image that you want to post here in the forums. A little box will pop up under the image. Move your mouse over the bottom one and click it to copy it (on some computers it will copy the info as you click it, others you'll have to copy the info).

Now, in the Axiom forums, click "paste" in a text box when composing a message and it'll put in all the right info. You can preview your Axiom post to make sure it worked!

Argon #253095 03/22/09 08:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've considered fixing up/selling homes before but never tried it. In a good housing market, I'm sure it's a viable way to make some coin. In the US, do they hit you on Capital Gains tax like they do in Canada. Here, if you sell your primary residence, you are not taxed on any capital profits but if you sell a second house or cottage which is NOT your primary residence the gov't dings you for something like 50% of the gain(assuming there is one).

Mark, I have no idea what one does with asbestos.... ;\) maybe send it to China so they can make toys, drywall, or clothing out of it or something...

Page 5 of 114 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 113 114

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters