I built this "audio equipment box" a few years ago but never finished it. I decided that I could free up lots of space on my workbench if I could get this off of there and wall mount it.
The design goal was to allow ventilation while blocking out dust. There are lots of big ventilation holes on the top that will be covered with speaker cloth, and those "slots" on the sides will be covered with the speaker grilles that I had saved when I trashed the two JBL subs that I had back in the day. I just drilled out four holes on each side to install rare-earth magnets and broke the "tabs" (?) off of the speaker grills to attach washers. I ran short of magnets and had to order more, but will attach the other grill on Thursday.
The front has a piece of plexi in a frame, but the whole thing is hinged to swing up to reveal a small shelf under the "hood". This is sized to hold CDs and a telephone or two. The holes on top allow me to hear the phone ringing, but everything will be protected from dust once I put the speaker grill cloth over those holes on top. Speaking of grill cloth, you can see one of the cheapo PA speakers in the background of this shot. These didn't have grill covers, but rather had exposed drivers. I bought the grill cloth originally to cover the front of these. Cheap or not, I figured that if I allow sawdust to get on/in the drivers, they would have a much shorter life.
Here the unit is wall mounted and the right-side grill cover is installed.
I haven't wired it yet, as I want to take Buddy for a nice long walk while the weather is at it's best. But I'll wire it up tonight.
I can't be without my music for too long down there!
Any time I moved, setting up my stereo was always my first priority so I would have music to enjoy while unpacking!