sub opinion
#252721 03/20/09 02:09 AM
L
LRA Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
L

this is the beast that I currently have, anyone ever heart it? if so how does it compare to the others? I bought it ten years ago. I don't know if it's a weak spot. PSB usually have a good rep and I personally love the sub.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/105753-psb_subsonic_ii_12_subwoofer__135_watts/

Re: sub opinion
LRA #252728 03/20/09 02:40 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hey Luc,

Forgive me - I remember thinking that your home is lovely, but do not recall just how much space you have to fill. My recollection is that you have a large, open floor plan with your listening area adjoining other parts of the house.

These types of questions usually come down to a few points: How big is your room? What percentage of your listening is music v. movies? How loud do you listen?

I agree that PSB makes wonderful products. That model looks like it has a good design. I have not heard it. The only thing that matters is that you are happy.

AND...

That is not a particularly powerful amplifier. In addition, the enclosure is quite small. The combination of those things makes me think that it might not be terribly successful in "pressurizing" a large, open space.

I believe that Jay (jakewash) noted quite a difference in his overall satisfaction with M22's after upgrading his sub. Since it seems that you DO watch a lot of movies and have expressed concern about the "fullness" of the M22 soundstage, it is very possible that a larger and/or more powerful sub would give you not only better performance from the M22's, but also significantly deeper effects.

Perhaps you could find someone near you that has a very powerful subwoofer (even if it is not Axiom) and you could audition some movie material that you know well.

I can't help but think that an EP350 or EP500 would make quite a large difference for you.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #252736 03/20/09 04:27 AM
L
LRA Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
L
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Hey Luc,

Forgive me - I remember thinking that your home is lovely, but do not recall just how much space you have to fill. My recollection is that you have a large, open floor plan with your listening area adjoining other parts of the house.

These types of questions usually come down to a few points: How big is your room? What percentage of your listening is music v. movies? How loud do you listen?

I agree that PSB makes wonderful products. That model looks like it has a good design. I have not heard it. The only thing that matters is that you are happy.

AND...

That is not a particularly powerful amplifier. In addition, the enclosure is quite small. The combination of those things makes me think that it might not be terribly successful in "pressurizing" a large, open space.

I believe that Jay (jakewash) noted quite a difference in his overall satisfaction with M22's after upgrading his sub. Since it seems that you DO watch a lot of movies and have expressed concern about the "fullness" of the M22 soundstage, it is very possible that a larger and/or more powerful sub would give you not only better performance from the M22's, but also significantly deeper effects.

Perhaps you could find someone near you that has a very powerful subwoofer (even if it is not Axiom) and you could audition some movie material that you know well.

I can't help but think that an EP350 or EP500 would make quite a large difference for you.

room is around 14x14 (depending of the day, lol). The sub seems adequate as we often think the windows will break apart. I didn't audition anything else (related to subs) for the last 10-12 years. You cannot measure what you cannot hear. If we turn it on/off it's a complete different experience.

I'm meeting FamilyMan this Saturday, for an audition. He have the ep600!! luckily for him, it doesn't fit into my car!

They also have a nice pair.. of m-80
Can't wait to hear how it sound. A good test would be to plug my m22 on his system.

My wife gets crazy, one day I told her that we should only upgrade the sub, next day the fronts, then the center. At least she will be able to hear it for herself.

the ratio is :
gaming : 40%
movies :50%
music: 10%

LRA #252760 03/20/09 09:22 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Luc, that is perfect, try the M22s with his sub, now it won't sound exactly like it will in your room but most likely close enough to give you an idea of how the M22's compare to the M80s and all with the EP600. Just note the M22s will need to be put on stands to compare them properly with the tweeters at usual listening height/ear height, otherwise you may end up with a scenario like mojo and I did the first few times we tried them at his house, the M22s were indeed very much thinner than the other speakers. The last time I went over with some proper stands the M22's performed much better, the thinness was gone and when combined with the EP600 sounded very similar to the M80s with the sub. Good Luck and good listening! \:\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #252802 03/20/09 04:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You might want to take your sub along as well; the room makes a *huge* difference to perceived subwoofer performance and you really want to compare with the sub in the same spot on the floor as the 600, not just in the same room.

Five bucks says the 600 wins ;\)

Last edited by bridgman; 03/20/09 04:02 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #252806 03/20/09 04:09 PM
L
LRA Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
L
 Originally Posted By: bridgman
You might want to take your sub along as well; the room makes a *huge* difference to perceived subwoofer performance and you really want to compare with the sub in the same spot on the floor as the 600, not just in the same room.

Five bucks says the 600 wins ;\)

I would grateful if tolerates my inferior m22 in his mighty setup, we will see how it ends up.. I don't want to give the impression that I'm moving in! :-)

but yes that would be a good idea.. I will keep you posted

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters