C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I've received three of the four Bali cellular shades I've ordered. Maybe counterintuitive, but I went with light filtering (non-blackout) black shades for the stairwell windows, and a white blackout shade for the window behind the TV. They're all inside-mount, so there will still be light around the edges unless I further dress the windows.

I'm tempted to do another Bali shade for the front of the equipment closet, simply because it would be a lot cheaper than a glass door, and maybe blocking the view of the equipment wouldn't be such a bad thing. Of course, this would require an IR extender solution of some kind, which I haven't researched at all. At least, it will require it if I want to control anything other than my PS3 or PC. As long as no one wants me to change the volume during movie nights, then I really don't need to invest in the IR extender stuff right away. In any case, that's just if I decide to go with another shade. I haven't seen it before, but it doesn't seem like it would be unsightly. What do you think? Weird idea?

I'm not sure when the kitchen counter will be installed. I have to have more work done prior to the installation. I had mentioned to the woman at Home Depot when we first went in and ordered the countertop that I still needed the support built for the end where the dishwasher would go, but then I forgot to make a point of ensuring it would be included in the estimate. Sure enough, it wasn't, so now we need to have their cabinet guy come out and measure and give us a bid for doing that part of it, as well as cutting down and attaching the end panel pieces. Then the countertop guys can come do the templating for their portion of the work. Fingers crossed it will happen sooner rather than later.

I'll post new pics after I have the window shades installed, since you've never seen any before in your life.

Re: CV's Subterranean Adventure
CV #410598 03/03/15 08:17 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here are the shades in the stairwell windows, at least:

They ended up being different colors because I'm not always smart. I had originally ordered both in black, but I didn't double-check my measurements even though they say to be sure. I was sure, but I wasn't right. The top of the window opening is an inch narrower than the bottom in one of them, so there's no way it was fitting. Because they're custom, there are no refunds, of course. I bought them during a 20% off sale at Home Depot. Fortunately, another 20% off sale was going almost immediately after that one ended. Unfortunately, I didn't have the shades until the very end of the second promotion. As in, the last day of it, so when I went to install and found out it wouldn't fit, I felt pressured to order a replacement to save 20%. So at 11:fifty-something PM, I ordered a replacement, but it was "Silver Fox" instead of black, because I couldn't find the black on the website. It turns out I was in the blackout section instead of merely light-filtering, so besides the mis-matched color, the gray one is blackout, and the black one lets some light through. I've basically messed up in every way possible. Plus, there's another 20% off promotion going. I also found out Costco lets you buy Bali shades from them, and they had 10% off, but I don't know how their base price compares.

If I do replace one, I'll probably make the black one "Silver Fox" as well, so I can have the blackout. Most people reacted negatively to the two colors, but the hottest one said I should keep them mis-matched, so we'll see what happens. Ha ha.

And here's the Origami kitchen cart I got so I could have a place to set down groceries when I come down the stairs:

I'm still thinking carpet for the stairs, whatever is supposed to be the most durable. Dragging my feet on that because the stairwell still needs to be repainted, since it's been banged up a fair amount throughout the renovation, and I want the painting done before the carpet is installed just so I don't have to be as careful. Maybe I should get the rest of my furniture before painting, too? I still really like the idea of eventually making that stairwell a climbing wall, but that would be a lot of work redoing the walls with thick plywood to be able to support all of the handholds.

CV #411874 05/01/15 05:25 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
A pic of a triangle shelving unit to utilize a corner between the kitchen and bedroom:

I figure I'll use it for various boxed and canned foodstuffs since I don't have a real pantry.

I finally got my kitchen counter installed:

My backsplash material should come tomorrow, so I'll have a busy weekend. My dad will install the sink, faucet, and garbage disposal. I'll see if I can figure out how to install the lazy susan for the corner cabinet, and I still need to put a handle on that door, too. After all that, I'll need to do some major organization of all of my kitchen stuff and move the island into that area. I also need to fit in food and Age of Ultron with friends!

CV #411877 05/01/15 11:45 AM
axiomite
axiomite
It's really coming together Charles. Looking good!

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #411891 05/02/15 04:36 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, Murph!

CV #411893 05/02/15 09:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow! You've been busy. You're getting great results. Congratulations.
Looks like you're missing some Axiom Aeris in there.

See Mojo's signature
CV #411919 05/04/15 04:59 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Nothing ever works out perfectly.

They mis-measured slightly on the piece of countertop for the base cabinet to the left of the stove. They measured 26" from the wall to the very edge of the counter (crescent edge included) on the left side, then 26" to where the work surface meets the start of the crescent edge on right side, so it's just a little cock-eyed. It's not very noticeable, except when you're standing over it looking at the handle for the drawer below, or if you're specifically looking at how much the counter sticks out on either side of the stove. I'm thinking I'd rather live with it being a little off rather than go through the hassle of adapting my schedule to them coming out again, since they changed the install time twice on me already, the second time of which was hours after their arrival window--"Oh, by the way, we have to reschedule for tomorrow." I'll just see how much they want to knock off the price.

The other dumb thing is the faucet I got ages ago won't work. Too tall. I don't know where in the planning and re-planning of the layout I messed up, but I thought I still had a couple of inches of clearance. Not so. It wants several more inches to live under that upper cabinet. Rather than remove the cabinet above to accommodate my restaurant-style sprayer, I'm going to cry and gnash my teeth and live with this one from Costco: Hansgrohe Cento Kitchen Faucet

I sure have wasted some money from not knowing what I'm doing. Anyway, even if it's not what I wanted to begin with, I'm happy with how it's turning out. I didn't get as much accomplished as I wanted this weekend, but the sink is installed, the backsplash is installed, the new faucet is half-installed (my Dad ran out of time, so we'll see when we can coordinate again), and I put up an Oxo SteeL Kitchen Tool and Utensil Rack behind the sink to hang the various brushes I'll use to clean dishes.

I'll post pics again when it's all functional and I have a little more time to think of where I'm going to place appliances, etc.

CV #411920 05/04/15 05:25 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I'd get them to change out their error. It will irk you forever.
They should be scheduling round you, especially if you haven't paid the invoice. It's the only control you'll have.
My two cents...

brwsaw #411923 05/04/15 07:18 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: brwsaw
They should be scheduling round you, especially if you haven't paid the invoice. It's the only control you'll have.
My two cents...

Unfortunately, with Home Depot, you pay first. With the issues we've had, I won't be making that mistake again.

For the countertop portion, we changed a couple of details during the templating, which he said might add to the cost. At that point, Home Depot was supposed to contact us if we had to pay more, as the contractor is only supposed to do the work after the balance has been paid. We never heard from Home Depot, so we assumed no extra cost. After the job was done, we finally heard from Home Depot, but of course we're not paying because of this mistake. They're supposed to contact Precision Countertops and get back to us. One of the other reasons I'd hesitate to have them out again is because I already put the backsplash up, which would make them pulling that piece and putting the new one (or this one, if they modify it) back in a little trickier. We'll see what happens.

CV #411950 05/05/15 01:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We've done 3 kitchens with Home Depot. Each time getting a second quote (not Lowe's, but a "real" kitchen remodeling company. Each time, HD was cheaper for the cabinets, granite, and install than the "real" kitchen places were for just the cabinets - and, yes, we were comparing apples to apples; in our case all Kraftmaid, all-plywood-construction with solid wood fronts and soft return drawers and doors.

With any construction job you should have the option of refusing the work performed. Haven't had that problem with HD, but several other contractors.

Scott

My HT
Page 31 of 41 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 40 41

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082