Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Twitter
richeydog #265950 07/12/09 11:07 AM
shareholder in the making
Having joined Facebook a couple of months ago, I have to say I like the way it naturally orients you toward catching up with old friends. It's like an ever-expanding "web"... once you locate one friend, you might find that there are mutual friends that they have already found.... it really IS social networking. And, there's nothing that stops you from going out and meeting with these people in the real-world once you've connected. I've got a "date" for coffee with my first girlfriend next time I visit Rhode Island, and have found many friends from photography school 25 years ago.... and they are all over the U.S. and some in other countries. But I find Jim, and find out that Jim knew where Cathy was and Cathy knew where Bill was... all of a sudden, they're easy to find and re-connect with... I also found a childhood friend that I haven't had contact with in 35 years. I get to see photos of her and her family, and she's posted some from when we were kids on her "Facebook page". I'm going to scan and post some of my own for her.

My Dad just joined Facebook to find classmates, college friends, and military friends from 35-50 years ago, and is re-connecting with some.

Yes,some people use it like Twitter, posting their every move and thought throughout the day. But I've discovered that you can "ignore" friends that do that so you don't have to "see" their posts.

I only spend about ten minutes a day on Facebook, checking it once in the morning and once in the evening. It's not all-consuming for me, and I think you would find that you can gain the benefits without "living" on it. I spend more time here.

Try Facebook before you dismiss it.

But go ahead and dismiss Twitter 'cuz that's just dumb!

SOME of you kids get off my lawn!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ken.C #265955 07/12/09 04:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Hey you kids! Get off my lawn!

These days it is more like, "hey you Peter Pan Syndrome men and prowling cougars, get off my lawn!!"

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
MarkSJohnson #265956 07/12/09 04:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

Try Facebook before you dismiss it.

Here's where some differ from others.
Some people have no desire to live in the past and feel nostalgic about having to find people they knew 10 years ago. Although i am curious to know where some of my old university friends ended up i don't feel the need to have to have that answer enough to track them down using online 'tools'. If they were that good as good friends at the time, i would still be in contact with them now as i already have been long before facebook came about.

Some people feel that need to have to know and to connect and maybe have literally hundreds of people they want to remain in contact with if they are social butterflies a la Paris Hilton; others live in the present and for the future rather than reliving the past or maintain smaller social circles where a networking tool is simply not required. It is another online sensation that over time, will pass, and something else will take its place. It started with the likes of IRC chat (or the old 'bulletin boards' during dialup days of Commodores), moved to things like ICQ, then myspace, now facebook, twitter, etc.
I can only imagine what will come next.

Of course one cannot dismiss the REAL alternate reason to avoid social networking, because clearly big brother is watching...recording...making lists...

chesseroo #265958 07/12/09 05:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Twitter is a complete joke as far as I'm concerned!

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #265959 07/12/09 05:49 PM
You missed a tweet by one character.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
chesseroo #265963 07/12/09 06:59 PM
C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
OP Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Some people feel that need to have to know and to connect and maybe have literally hundreds of people they want to remain in contact with if they are social butterflies a la Paris Hilton;

There's no need to be mean.

It is another online sensation that over time, will pass, and something else will take its place. It started with the likes of IRC chat (or the old 'bulletin boards' during dialup days of Commodores), moved to things like ICQ, then myspace, now facebook, twitter, etc.

There was the telephone before all that, and it seems like according to you, if you really are friends with people, even that "tool" shouldn't have to be used. Instead, they should be in the same room at all times. Otherwise, you're living in the past, when they were in the same room.

CV #266075 07/14/09 01:54 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Agreed, while I am not a user, I do see uses beyond what Chess has outlined

...and hey, this board is an example of the very same tool...just a more focused group.

Anyway, sorry I brought it back into focus!!

CV #266093 07/14/09 03:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: CV
Some people feel that need to have to know and to connect and maybe have literally hundreds of people they want to remain in contact with if they are social butterflies a la Paris Hilton;

There's no need to be mean.

That was not my intent though i can see how a comparison to Paris can be degrading for some but very much a complement to others. Have you not seen the Paris Hilton BFF show?
\:\)
 Quote:

It is another online sensation that over time, will pass, and something else will take its place. It started with the likes of IRC chat (or the old 'bulletin boards' during dialup days of Commodores), moved to things like ICQ, then myspace, now facebook, twitter, etc.

There was the telephone before all that, and it seems like according to you, if you really are friends with people, even that "tool" shouldn't have to be used. Instead, they should be in the same room at all times. Otherwise, you're living in the past, when they were in the same room.

This is taken out of context from the continuation of the post before this one. I was referring to both an age category and the extensive use of these new 'tools'. Perhaps when the telephone first came out there was something of a sensation, however how many people do you know these days that spend hours on the phone EVERY day talking with friends and relatives?
EVERY day?
Certainly there are still those early teen years where the girls talk about the boys on the phone for hours on end until their parents yell at them to get off the phone, and so on (pardon any quick stereotypes but this one is actually true); but last i checked most adults don't spend hours on the phone every day talking with their girlfriends about husbands unless they are REALLY bored (perhaps no formal day job, maybe stay at home and not with a house of 5 kids...).

Now take into consideration these new online tools. There are people out there, NOT just teens, who are texting hundreds of tweets a day plus IM messages like these things were feeding them crack for every message sent.
Hundreds.
Hell there are contests with this now. Who the hell can do 500 messages each day and not spend anything less than 3-5 hours with such a gadget?
Has the phone been replaced?
No, cell phones are the new in so now we have a blend of cell and facebooks and twits, tweets,...

So yes, screw the gadget, get together in person and actually enjoy a real person's (or perhaps your families') company instead of thumbing messages until one is blue in the face.

The idea of online/digital communication can do wonders for personal or should i say, impersonal contact, but the obsession or at least extensive use beyond say the level used for a traditional telephone makes me wonder if there is an addiction issue related to such phenomena.
Let's ask the doc medic8r about the mystery of the human mind in this regard.

The bottom line
Are people just sheep going with the herd with popular cultural digital social networking tools or are they feeding us electronic crack?

[end rant]

BBIBH #266095 07/14/09 03:56 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: BBIBH

...and hey, this board is an example of the very same tool...just a more focused group.

And that is a good point BB, however not all who use a forum as a tool start networking, sending 500 messages a day, spending hours doing it...hmm, come to think of it, Peter, do you still have your day job?

I know for some they have daily internet access, and must at least be partly bored at work to be able to take the time to read the forums, or have a lenient employer who doesn't block access to the highly used site, but at my workplace i have little time for it. We are swamped.
Between evening posting and spending the few hours each evening with the family, i choose family.
And wine.
And dinner.
And sleep.
And on weekends, yep, two or three 5 minute phone calls and voila, company i don't have to tweet to chat.

Is drinking while tweeting on twitter considered drinking alone?
I'm not sure of this new age protocol.

chesseroo #266112 07/14/09 10:35 AM
But Chess, you're still making assumptions that because some narcissistic people live on Twitter or Facebook all day, that the tool itself is bad. Don't blame the gun, blame the shooter.

I'm on FaceBook (literally) about 5-10 minutes per day. I check in twice a day to see what friends are up to. And the fact that my life IS so busy is exactly why it's a great tool to just see how and what people I care about are doing. One photography school friend just went to the Bahamas over the weekend and posted amazing photos. A childhood friend scanned and posted class photos from grade school. Yes, it's interesting to me as to how these peoples' lives are going. Just like I have friends here on the Axiom forums and am interested in them. I don't Twitter and I'm not interested in it. Pick and choose the tools that are helpful, interesting or fun.

If FaceBook isn't your thing, it doesn't make any difference to me. I have no stake in it.

But yes, I took your Paris Hilton comments as a belittling of those that use FaceBook or Twitter and as evidence of your own superiority in being above such silly things.

Reconnecting with old friends that you've lost touch with over the years is NOT living in the past, it's social. And, sorry that I can't always meet them for coffee when they're spread around the country and the world.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020