Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Any Freelance web designers out there?
MarkSJohnson #253699 03/25/09 08:44 PM
devotee
devotee
While likely used primarily for blogging, you'll find that as a CMS, as Peter indicated, it's a bit of a case of "it is what you make it".

It's often used for photography sites, probably in conjunction with special plug-in software that extends the basic functionality of Wordpress.

In the end, you have to make the choice to open Pandora's box and use Wordpress, or to try another tool. Wordpress has been in use for some time, and is constantly being improved upon, but I wouldn't call it perfect. Peter?

Perhaps it's worthwhile to have someone set you up and then just teach you how to use it day to day.

Kruncher #253706 03/25/09 09:05 PM
shareholder in the making
The template is to your experience with Wordpress as speakers are to your experience with an HT System. It's the most important part.

Have a look at this one, Mark. They even sell an optional hand-hold package. \:\)

pmbuko #253912 03/27/09 04:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You can either do one of two things...

1. Do it yourself with wordpress or dreamweaver. By wordpress you can do what the others have said above. You can use a WYSIWYG editor (What you see is what you get) like dreamweaver with some templates.

2. Pay someone else to do it for you.

I would go with the do-it-youself method if you can find a good application thing online (flash or otherwise) to display your pictures. Might find something in wordpress, might find some free thing online.

Or you could pay someone to do it and make a custom template and design just for you...it's all how professional you want to go.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #253930 03/27/09 12:54 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, Dan.

At the moment, I'm trying some software called Sitebuilder, supplied by Intuit/Homestead. Since installing the latest version of Quickbooks, they keep sending me stuff to remind me I can have a free website. I assumed the capabilities would be pretty lame, but so far it's not that bad.

My existing site is woefully outdated. What I'm thinking is that I can use this software to build a temporary site that, while not very impressive technically, is at least adequately up-to-date with the services we offer. It's still under construction, but I published it here for the moment.

It's not exactly my dream site, but it might do for awhile. I'm thinking that I can do a redirect under my domain name to this site, with a "please excuse this temporary site while our main one is being rebuilt" type text notice on the homepage.

this template is still my front runner of choice. It still has some Flash, but not as much as the other one I was looking at. It meets the "must haves" that many templates don't meet:

- Laid out for both photography and video production

- Maintains aspect ratios for photos (I don't want a site that forces vertical photos into a horizontal window as the large majority do)

- I can get the template written so the photo that serves as the background for "about" and "contact" can be forced to a particular image instead of it randomly choosing one from the gallery images.

I'd really like to get opinions on that one and the theme of my "temporary one" linked above!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #254258 03/29/09 10:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think the theme of your "temporary one" looks just fine, my only complaint with it now is that the photo slide thingy is a tad bit annoying.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #254381 03/30/09 11:50 AM
OP Offline
I agree. The problem is that I would be limited to five pages and the only way to show a few categories of images via thumbnails would mean a longer, scrolling page.

I haven't done anything with it through the weekend, but want to re-arrange the pages a bit as well as put up a few "real" video demos.

Thank you for your input though, Dan.... I really do appreciate it very much!

MarkSJohnson #254401 03/30/09 01:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The site looks excellent, as do the photos. You really are good at what you do.

I particularly like the nudes (you dirty old young man, you ) . I may be old, but I'm not dead!

Personal P.S. - Mark, I think of you every day when I pass the plaque you sent me. I am truly thankful for the gift.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #254421 03/30/09 02:51 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the feedback, Jack!

I truly can't tell if the temp site will be good enough for awhile, or if I'm seeing it with "glass-half full" optimism because I might come out of this without spending $8,000. \:\)

I'm still curious in that other template is "too much flash", but I'm glad I have options.

And, you're welcome! \:\)

MarkSJohnson #254491 03/30/09 08:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
After a second look, I really like your logo and the house picture, but I feel that for it to fit with the template, it should be a "lighter" template with a more clean feel to it.

I do think a lot of your photography is really good. That woman's got game! Uh...your other pictures are good...too.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #254495 03/30/09 08:16 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
 Originally Posted By: danmagicman7
I do think a lot of your photography is really good. That woman's got game!
And right around the same area is a picture of Vince Neil. There's a real beauty and the beast deal.

Bren R.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020