#254272 03/30/09 12:59 AM
A
axman Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
A
Hello everyone,

I was wandering if someone could help me out with some info.
I’m thinking of buying axiom speakers as they look like a good deal.
Due to lack of space I pretty much have to go with M22 and not one of the towers.

Most reviews have been positive although I saw someone said something about compressed sound, whatever that means.

Does anyone know the differences between v2 and previous version?

Does anyone know if the white vinyl finish looks nice in real life?
If not I would go with black.

The outlet store has 10% off. Someone wrote there is no GST either. Is that the case?
I’m somewhat concern as to the amount of possible damage to cabinets.

And here is a weird question. Do you guys think that there could
be significant sound improvement between axioms M22 and cheap
speakers that typically come with JVC, Technics, Kenwood, Yamaha systems.
Roughly same size as M22 but lower frequency extension and larger woofers?

Thanks!!!

Re: M22 questions Axiom or not? Help!!!
axman #254274 03/30/09 01:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I have not seen the white vinyl, but all the vinyl finishes are really good.

There is no way to avoid GST on any retail purchase.

No need to worry about damage. I picked up my complete HT from the outlet and have only found one minor colour flaw (a VERY small off colour spot) on one speaker.

Yes there will be an improvement in sound quality over cheap speakers. I would trade off a few Hz on the bottom end for a huge improvement in overall sound quality in a heartbeat.

Check the hearing things forum to see if you can find someone in your area that will give you an audition.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
axman #254276 03/30/09 01:12 AM
aficionado
aficionado
The light maple M60's I saw (Adam's) I swore looked like real wood. They looked awesome to me. It did not match my wood work so I am awaiting my Mansfield Beech speakers in 1-2 weeks from the factory outlet. Most have not even been able to find any blemishes on there F.O. speakers. If you can wait, a great10% savings!

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
axman #254279 03/30/09 01:16 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
V2 and earlier version are basically the same, minor differences with the binding posts, crossover layout was changed. I have A/B'd v2 with my v1 and found the v2s to be slightly more laid back/smoother but otherwise both versions very very good.

There is still GST with the FO speakers.

Oh yes, a big improvement in SQ from HTiB speakers, although some may find the lack of boom from the M22s to be poorer SQ, but once you realize the greater details you are hearing with the M22s, you will be more than satisfied.

White vinyl?, Do you mean the light maple finish? I own it and it looks similar to bleached oak.

Maybe try checking out the hearing things forum for someone nearby to give you an audition or call Axiom to see if they could set up an audition with an owner for you.

And welcome to the boards. \:\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
fredk #254283 03/30/09 01:22 AM
A
axman Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
A
Thanks for a quick response Fred. Sounds like the factory outlet could be a good idea.
A little color difference doesn't sound bad.
I guess they would not sell anything with cracks or vinyl sticking out?

I’m thinking, if the bottom end proofs to be lacking I can add a sub later.
I’m a little concern if there would be a timber difference or something like that.
If my receiver only has crossover at 100, 150, 200Hz would that be ok with M22 sound wise?
Would 100Hz be a good place for a crossover or is that too high?

So, you think there would be much improvement to sound, that's good. \:\)

davekro #254287 03/30/09 01:23 AM
A
axman Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
A
Thanks Dave! In that case white it is.

Cheers, Arthur

axman #254288 03/30/09 01:23 AM
Welcome Ax,

I'll try to help, haven't owned the 22's, but many of the other lineup, I'm sure some of the 22's club will be along soon.

First of all, Axiom as been around for about 30years, and are considered an audiophile grade of speakers like Paradigm, B&W, etc.. The brands your listing would be like comparing a Corvette (Axioms) to a Honda Civic (brands you listed). They are not even in the same league.

I have no idea what your referring to when you say compressed. Axiom speakers are designed to be neutral and sonically flat across the frequency range. They are also very efficient, requiring little power to play at very loud levels.

The only thing you might be referring to is if your playing music cd's that have crappy recording techniques, or if your playing mp3's at a low bitrate, they won't sound as good. That is not the problem of the speaker. Axiom speakers are very true to the recording your listening to, so crap in you get crap out. On the other hand, if you have music that is recorded with the best recording techniques, your jaw will hit the floor it will sound so good.

The differences between former Axiom models, and the newer V2's have been discussed often, you might try searching. Basically, Axiom has made slight changes over the years to the electronics, cabinets, etc. so they decided to come out with the V2's. Sonically, you would be hard pressed to hear any difference.

They vinyl finish Axiom uses is the highest quality vinyl wrap you will find in the industry. I've never seen the white, I think that is a custom vinyl color, but I'm sure it would be nice. I have the Ebony Pica custom, which is awesome.

I don't know what GST is, but I can tell you that probably 60% of the Axiom owners use the Factory Outlet to save money. These speakers are brand new with the same warranty. Axiom's quality control is very strict, so if a speaker has even the slightest blemish or nick, it goes to the outlet. All my speakers came from the outlet, I have never been able to find a single problem with the finish on them.

In regards to sound difference, it would be like apples to oranges. The Axiom's would blow away these other brands you mention...

Later,

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #254290 03/30/09 01:28 AM
A crossover would not be a question if you don't have a sub. You would be running the 22's as large, so they would be getting the full range. If you get a sub, and your only option on your receiver is 100hz, that would probably be ok, since the sub would pick up everything below that...many people use m3's or m22's for music only without a sub. Depending on your music types, the 22's will go down below 60hz, so you would be fine.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

axman #254294 03/30/09 01:36 AM
A
axman Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
A
Thanks Jay,

I'm amazed how quickly everyone is writing responses!!!
Looks like Axiom has very good following and pleasant, hehe.
I like detail in the speakers without the treble being too high. Not a big fun of boom, prefer precision and punch to bass.

Any idea which sub would be good with M22?
Just in case.

Yeah, the white maple like veneer with black grills looks nice in the pictures. So, I will go with that.

I could try to setup a session but I have listen to other speakers from Paradigm, B&W, Focal, Energy, Klipsch,
Polk and I have discovered that it all depends on the room.
The same speaker can sound good in one place and terrible in another. That was especially the case with Energy RC70, ouch.
It went from wow that is nice to I can't believe it but 60% cheaper Polks sounded a lot better. \:\)
For the amount of money that all those speakers were, I didn’t think the sound was that great.
I’m going to take a chance and buy Axiom! \:\)

Thanks, Arthur

axman #254295 03/30/09 01:38 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The M22 + sub would be a killer set up. Probably the best bang for the buck from Axiom. Timbre matching is not an issue at really low frequencies.

80Hz would be an ideal crossover, but 100 will work fine.

That blemish is tiny: 2-3mm across. I have to really look to find it again. I just happened to notice it about 3 months after I picked up my speakers.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters