#2543 04/10/02 02:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello everybody!
Here's the thing: I want to replace my JBL N-center & N24 front sat. speakers. I'm having shielding problems with the N-center, so that's definitely got to go! Since I'm getting a new center I figured I'd replace the fronts, to keep everything matched. I'm looking at the VP50, I think that'd be a good match for my system. BTW, I have a H/K AVR320 (55wpcX5) but I might be getting an Onkyo 797, so just bear that in mind. I was also looking at the M3's or M2's but now I'm think about the M1's. I could get the VP50 & a pair of M1's from the F.O. for less than $300. That's sweet. It seems the M1 is comprable to the N24's, at least size-wise, and I like their size. Plus, it seems the Axiom are more sensitive, nice to see because of the H/K's power (or lack thereof).
Anyway, I mostly listen to movies through my system. A little music every now and then. The speakers are about 6-7' away. I don't listen to stuff that loud since I live in an apartment. I'm going to keep the N24's in the rear (at least, 'til I can get the QS surrounds) and I have an Acoustic Research PS112 subwoofer.
OK, there you have it. Thanks for the help.
Big L

Re: Which speakers to replace my JBL's?
#2544 04/10/02 01:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
BigL

I had the M1's for about two weeks, and my original plan was to buy M1's for the back and front and a VP50 as a budget systems. The reasons were money ( I don't have any ), and, just like you, I will be moving into an appartment in a few weeks.

I thought the M1's were terrific for the cost and size. They are perfectly magnetically shielded (unlike my M3's), so don't worry about that. The M1's were a very balanced speaker, and the midrange ad highs were not recessed, laid back, or rolled off. There was, obviously, no real bass to it, it's just too small for that. An EP125 is a perfect complement. They offered a lot of detail and clarity, as well. Low volume listening was very good.

Why did I return them? A couple of reasons:
1) Listening to them for a long time did get fatiguing. They were sometimes too bright
2) They played badly at louder volumes. I don't mean party loud, there's no way they could take that. Just, decently loud, they didn't play well, nor could they handle loud types of music very well.
3) The M3's were only 100$ CAD more for the pair. The M3's are a far better speaker. They are way more open, detailed, clear, and neutral. Yes, the midrange is slightly laid back, but it gets better as it breaks in, and the bass gets more controlled and less boomy.

I am now looking at buying:
M22s for front
VP100 for center
M3's will go in the back.
It will obviously take a much longer time for me to buy these, but patience is worth it. I hear the M22's are just stunning (ask Alan!). I fthe M22's are better than the M3's by that much, then I'll save up an extra 6 months. These are speakers I plan to keep for a long time, so it's worth spending a little more.

Good luck, and let me know what you buy and how good it sounds!

#2545 04/10/02 06:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info, ravi_singh.
Like I said in my post I was already looking at the M3's, just wanted some input on the M1's. After reading your reply I'm leaning a little stronger toward the M3's. The M22's are a little big for my space, so I'm not going to even think about those, but you never know... Maybe I can get the M22's later on and move the M3's to the rear. ; )
So I guess I'm going to go with the VP50 & M3's. Anybody running this set-up? If so, how's it sound?

Thanks, Big L

PS Hey ravi_singh, what kind of system are powering your speakers?

#2546 04/10/02 06:09 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
BigL,

I too own an H/K receiver but mine is the AVR55. Just like you I believed the recevier was underpowered to the likes of JVC, Pioneer, ETC. What I didn't realize is that the power on the H/K is linear. As you turn the receiver the power increases linearly unlike the JVC where you turn the volume quarter way and the speakers are blaring.

Also, my speakers were not calibrated so as I raised the volume the surrounds sounded so much louder than the front three speakers because I was closer to them. I was very disappointed in the receiver for the past several years until I recently purchased my set of Axiom speakers. I bought the M3ti(fronts), VP100(center), QS4(surrounds), and EP125 sub. My home theater is in a room that is 18.5'x15' with 12 foot ceilings and the H/K receiver fills the room without any problems. I am a little disappointed with the EP125 and that is because it is a little small for the room. Lucky enough I already had an Infinity BU2 sub to go along with the EP125. If you plan to get a sub I would go with a bigger sub than the EP125.

Next I bought the AVIA calibration DVD to calibrate my speakers. Boy, do I notice a difference in the sound. I have had neighbors even comment that the speaker all seem to flow together. Calibration in my opion is a must. I know I am not answering your question but I feel you can spend the money that you would spend on a new receiver on a good set of speakers.

Now, to answer your question. I would not go with the M1's or the VP50. I would at least get the M3ti's and the VP100. I plan to upgrade my M3ti's to the M22ti's and move the M3's into another room. Even if you don't play your system loud right now because you live in an apartment I would go with a little bigger and better speakers. I hope this has helped.

LSUDAN

#2547 04/10/02 07:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Big L

one piece of advice. With the M3's, go for the VP100

#2548 04/11/02 02:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey LSUDAN, what's the power rating of the AVR55? If it's 55wpc, then it's the same as the AVR320. My home theater is 9' X 15' with 9' ceilings. If the system sounds good in your space, I should be set then.
So the consensus is that the VP100 is a better match for the M3's, as opposed to the VP50?
I'd rather shell out a little more money for the VP100 and not have buyers remorse. So I think it's going to be the M3's and VP100 for me too. ; )

#2549 04/11/02 01:12 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
BigL,

The power rating for the AVR55 is 55x5. I believe you have enough power for your space. Remember H/K is conservative in their power rating.

I agree that you should at least go with the M3 and VP100. Like I said in my previous post, Once you get your speakers you will want to purchase the Radio Shack SPL Analog Meter and the AVIA home theater calibration disk. You will notice a big difference.

LSUDAN

#2550 04/17/02 09:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK everybody, I'm going to be taking the Axiom plunge real soon. I'll probably buy them before the end of next week. I can't wait!!!
After much deliberation, I'm going with the VP100 & a pair of M3's.
Thanks to you guys that gave me some insight, I appreciate it. You'll be hearing from me soon. ; )

#2551 04/17/02 10:03 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
BigL,

I am glad that you are going to spend the extra cash to get the better speakers. I promise you will not be disappointed. Let us know what you think about them.

LSUDAN

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters