Axiom vs Denon and ramblings
#256372 04/11/09 12:46 PM
O
onn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
O
Yesterday I had the pleasure of welcoming both Jay "jakewash" and Mark "doormat" to my home.
Jay stopped in to return my A1400 which he was demoing for the past month and Mark stopped by to check out the EP800's.
I will leave them to post any general comments / thoughts they may have. Jay did mention that he thought the Denon amp may be muffling the sound slightly on the highs compared to the Axiom amp. A short discussion resulted and it was decided a A / B comparison was warranted. Jay had to leave because of commitments and Mark and I decided to do the comparison.
We went to a 2 channel setup
We would listen to a number of tracks switching speaker connections during songs to try and hear any differences we could make out.
1) Sound levels dB's were different
Axiom was louder by about 2 dB
2) We could not really hear the muffling Jay was referring to
There may be a difference but the switching would need to be immediate to catch this difference if any

Conclusion
We decided a PROPER A / B would be needed since what we were doing wasn't accomplishing our intended goal. Flawed because of:
a) A proper switch is required to do the immediate amp switching. The switch would need to allow for level matching the 2 amps.
b) Same cabling connections. We were using XLR's off the Denon and RCA's off the Axiom
c) This is more of a question. How to properly detect any audible differences (REW ?)
If anyone has any guidelines for a proper A / B test let me know. I am going to find the switcher first.

That's it for now and the rambling
After the long weekend I hope Jay and Mark will give their impressions

Mel N.

I hope to hear from the sub demo king " Jay" on his impressions of the EP800

Re: Axiom vs Denon and ramblings
onn #256380 04/11/09 03:32 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
 Originally Posted By: onn
c) This is more of a question. How to properly detect any audible differences (REW ?)

I would think only your ears are required to detect audible differences. Otherwise, I think you're referring to measurable differences. You may ask Alan for tips on material to use for comparison purposes.

CV #256382 04/11/09 03:45 PM
O
onn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
O
I guess I didn't ask the question properly and will try again
If you are A/ B ing 2 amps and your ears are telling you that there is something that is different between the 2. How can a person measure that sound difference. I mentioned the REW because if you graphed both amp setups would the graphs give you any info in relation to the differences in sound your hearing.
This is all new to me because I would expect there would be no noticeable changes.
Still on a search for a switch which will allow for this test.

onn #256387 04/11/09 04:18 PM
L
LRA Offline
devotee
devotee
L
 Originally Posted By: onn
I guess I didn't ask the question properly and will try again
If you are A/ B ing 2 amps and your ears are telling you that there is something that is different between the 2. How can a person measure that sound difference. I mentioned the REW because if you graphed both amp setups would the graphs give you any info in relation to the differences in sound your hearing.
This is all new to me because I would expect there would be no noticeable changes.
Still on a search for a switch which will allow for this test.

would this be of any help? there is a free version. Just plug a mic in a laptop and analyze what's coming out. You should be able to see what's coming out of both setups.

LRA #256389 04/11/09 05:48 PM
O
onn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
O
Thanks for the link I will check it out

onn #256392 04/11/09 06:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
First, I would think you need to know what it is that is affecting the sound. In amps they talk about clipping, distortion, slew rates and the like as affecting sound quality.

Now, you can measure the difference in distortion between two amps (if you have the right equipment), but how do you know that specifically is audibly affecting the sound the amp produces?

I seem to remember Tom Cumberland talking about slew rates and cliping when I asked him about the A1400 and sound quality. I keep hoping that Alan will jump in to one of these discussions as I think that he is probably the best one on the boards to address this topic.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #256418 04/11/09 10:40 PM
J
J
First I have to say the pics of Mel's system do not do it justice, it is absolutely gorgeous.

I felt the highs were not as open sounding with the Denon amp as I had heard with the Axiom amp at my house, but I was pretty much only in 2 channel for my listening and we had multichannel for the 40 minutes I was listening at Mel's. My room being samller could be the biggest issue for the differences I could hear as well as my 3808 might just have had a problem which could be why it died.

I would have to say the EP800 IS the sub I had been looking for, too bad I didn't wait a year longer before I bought. It has all the low end vibes my PB13 does and that beautiful all encompassing, rich texture, yet smooth sounding, the rest of the EP series has as well. Well done Axiom.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
onn #256419 04/11/09 10:41 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mel,

Here is the switch I am using for my A/B speaker test. It also has source A/B. You need to be sure to turn OFF the prev. amp (or speaker) BEFORE turning on the new amp (or speaker). I don't know if issues would arise, but after Jay's story, I wanted to be careful. It does have a protection circuit, but decreased SPL on speakers about 1.5-2 dB. No idea what else the prot. circuit might influence, so I left it off.

I don't recall what I paid for this 10+ years ago, but it must have been inexpensive for ME to buy it. ;\)

Last edited by davekro; 04/11/09 10:42 PM. Reason: cost

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
davekro #256422 04/11/09 10:58 PM
dude, you need to learn how to resize your pictures a little smaller..

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

onn #256435 04/12/09 01:49 AM
Mel, just a brief comment on amplifier comparisons(which really should be double-blind to have validity). If as you say the Axiom amplifier was about 2dB louder(apparently because of higher gain with the same voltage input), this would easily be enough to explain a report(not that you made such)of "wider sound stage" (which amplification as such has no ability to accomplish), clearer highs, stronger bass(both highs and lows are more prominent at a higher listening level), and other differences which amplification doesn't affect. This is why one of the basic requirements in blind testing of amplifiers is that the levels be matched to within 0.1dB.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup