Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: questions about the axiom m60s (room size)
Zimm #257935 04/23/09 05:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh oh! The smoking baby is running low on oxygen again. ;\)

Quote:
no, wait, tell me they did not say 106db

... at one c M

Specs only tell a useful story if all the details are included. No distance on the max volume. no +- db rating on the frequency range. No lies, just mis-information.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #257956 04/23/09 08:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I agree with both of you - 55 watts from a real McIntosh amp I would trust to sound quite nice. 55 watts from McIntoosh, I would expect to get 160db of...sounds? My concern was about signal path to the Mac. [Edit: turns out the Mac 1900 is an old-style AM/FM radio/receiver from 1977, so I'm not sure what to say about that.]
And my "BS" call was more along the lines of what Fred says. No doubt they can prove those numbers if needed - just not in a way anyone would be impressed with.

Last edited by Zimm; 04/23/09 08:41 PM. Reason: Mac 1900 from 1977

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #258001 04/24/09 01:50 AM
S
Scott M Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
You want the truth...well you can't handle the truth! I'm sorry to break the "there is no such thing as a silly question" rule, but your question is silly. Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;\) I'm not being mean (hard to believe, I know), my point is simply that you are comparing a solid 1991 Honda Civic to a 2009 Cadillac CTS.

No, the M60s are not the greatest speakers available - e.g., a Maserati Quattroporte Sport - but the upgrade you are looking at is dramatic. M60s are not computer speakers, they are audiophile speakers. Your Klipsch might be great computer speakers, but the stats they list are BS: 200 watts [uh, NO!] drive two satellites and a vented 6.5" sub woofer to 32-20,000Hz frequency range [ ] up to 106dB maximum output capability. [no, wait, tell me they did not say 106db, please!) The M60s are true full range (short of the sub zone) speakers. Meaning, they are accurate when the make a sound, not just that they can make a certain frequency at 106db). You can use M60s for any source, including your computer, but you really are not comprehending the level of sonic change you are contemplating.

One bit of advice - if you are going to use the computer as a source, you need to make sure the signal path is beefed up dramatically to take advantage of the speakers. A 55 watt amp pushing a signal from a standard sound card playing 192K mp3s will sound bad on M60 or any other good speaker. Just as the Caddy CTS would run bad on 4 temporary doughnut tires and bad gas. If you have the cash, opt for an AVR and a sound-card with digital outputs. If you don't have the cash (it happens to all of us) go for smaller speakers and secure the signal path to be sure you can enjoy the speakers. If you do this, you will be shocked by the sound in terms of realism and emotional delivery. Go for it.

I know that the M60s will blow my klipsch speakers out of the water. I was just concerned about bass because I had demoed some tower speakers (rega R5 i think, through a rega brio amp) and it had almost no bass.

As far the sources, that is something I'm still trying to figure out. To play records I have a Perpetuum Ebner 2040 turntable. My Dad started letting me use it. It's made by a really obscure, defunct company that I can find almost no information on. It sounds great though, but I may consider getting a Rega P1. The thing is I'm not positive it will actually be an upgrade. I have a feeling that this turntable could be on par with the Rega P1, although I don't really have any way of telling.

I want to use my Macbook to play lossless/FLAC files. I think I will just get a nice 3.5mm-2 RCA cable at first, but I will probably want to get a DAC later down the road. A DAC (for macbook purposes) basically acts as an external soundcard, right? Forgive me if I'm sounding like a newbie \:D

Scott M #258007 04/24/09 02:56 AM
shareholder in the making
You have that right, with the DAC. Well, assuming you have a digital out on your Macbook (or a USB DAC).

Not all towers are made the same... nor are all rooms.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #258030 04/24/09 09:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Not all towers are made the same... nor are all rooms.

But I have to wonder if you're just used to bloated bass. I can't imagine too many instances where a computer speaker system will put out more or better flat bass than a pair of floorstanders.

Me wonders if this isn't one of those situations where the bass is cranking up but rolling off at 50Hz....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Scott M #258122 04/24/09 11:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Scott M
[I know that the M60s will blow my klipsch speakers out of the water. I was just concerned about bass because I had demoed some tower speakers (rega R5 i think, through a rega brio amp) and it had almost no bass.

I want to use my Macbook to play lossless/FLAC files. I think I will just get a nice 3.5mm-2 RCA cable at first, but I will probably want to get a DAC later down the road. A DAC (for macbook purposes) basically acts as an external soundcard, right? Forgive me if I'm sounding like a newbie \:D

Don't worry about being a "newbie", no matter how much money we spend, we are all newbies depending on who is reading the post. I don't know Apple's soundcads, so I won't comment, but if you are looking to upgrade your sound, consider an AVR, or integrated amp to hook up to your computer. That, plus a good bookshelf would beat the pants off your current system.

As for the M60s, assuming you can give them the source material to make their purchase worthwhile, you won't regret it. But, if bass is a big thing for you (and your music suggest it is is) you should go the sub/sat route. A really good sub, like the EP500 plus a nice set of Sat's will blow you away and feel like the music is actually kicking you in the chest. No tower will do that with your current system (no offense). Go sub/sat from Axiom and you will never regret it. The other good thing is the Sat's become surrounds when you later want a full tower.

Almost there brother.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Scott M #258365 04/27/09 01:08 AM
S
Scott M Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
S
And so it begins...

I just won a pair of Axiom M60s on eBay. It was quite magical, Harold Budd's Madrigals of The Rose Angel was playing on the radio while the auction ended. I think this is a good sign \:\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkWwQlqpFYM

These speakers are the the first step towards building my first real "audiophile" sound system. So happy. So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott M #258382 04/27/09 03:32 AM
Was it from the Axiom store, or some other seller? If it is from Axiom, then the warranty would be valid.. Great news, you will enjoy them....

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #258450 04/27/09 06:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have M60s in both a large and a small room. Both sets are one of my favorite purchases ever! Why has been already described above.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters